• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lentil genetics paid for with farmer check offs were gifted to other nations...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada's lentil industry owes its success to the great breeders we have and their access to germplasm through germplasm sharing agreements with several countries and institutions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4960256/ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4960256/

Genetic Diversity of Cultivated Lentil (Lens culinaris Medik.) and Its Relation to the World's Agro-ecological Zones

Abstract

Assessment of genetic diversity and population structure of germplasm collections plays a critical role in supporting conservation and crop genetic enhancement strategies. We used a cultivated lentil (Lens culinaris Medik.) collection consisting of 352 accessions originating from 54 diverse countries to estimate genetic diversity and genetic structure using 1194 polymorphic single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) markers which span the lentil genome. Using principal coordinate analysis, population structure analysis and UPGMA cluster analysis, the accessions were categorized into three major groups that prominently reflected geographical origin (world's agro-ecological zones). The three clusters complemented the origins, pedigrees, and breeding histories of the germplasm. The three groups were (a) South Asia (sub-tropical savannah), (b) Mediterranean, and (c) northern temperate. Based on the results from this study, it is also clear that breeding programs still have considerable genetic diversity to mine within the cultivated lentil, as surveyed South Asian and Canadian germplasm revealed narrow genetic diversity.
    Keywords: lentil, genetic diversity, population structure, germplasm, SNP markers, agro-ecological zones

Introduction

Cultivated lentil (Lens culinaris Medikus ssp. culinaris) is the third most important cool-season grain legume in the world after chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) and pea (Pisum sativum L.) (FAO, 2015). Legumes are important components in farming systems, providing environmental and ecological benefits through crop rotation, especially by contributing to soil fertility and rhizosphere diversity through biological N2 fixation. Global annual lentil production was around 5 million metric tons (Tg) from nearly 4.3 million ha (Mha) in 2013. Canada was the largest producer, contributing 38% of the world's production, followed by India, Turkey, and Australia (FAO, 2015). Lentil was one of the first domesticated grain legumes, originating from the Near East center of origin (Zohary, 1999). Lentil subsequently spread to central Asia and the Mediterranean Basin (Cubero, 1981; Lev-Yadun et al., 2000). It is a relatively new crop in North America, first introduced into northwest USA in the 1930s and into the northern temperate prairies of North America in the late 1960s (Muehlbauer et al., 1995). Globally today, lentil is grown in three major distinct agro-ecological zones: Mediterranean, sub-tropical savannah, and northern temperate (Tullu et al., 2011). These zones each exhibit different day lengths and temperatures, which limits the exchange of germplasm between agro-ecological adaptation zones.

Success in crop breeding is a function of heritability, genetic diversity, and selection. Natural agro-biodiversity stored in genebanks can be used to expand the diversity in crops. These collections are a vital source for discovering useful genes/alleles, which serve as a cornerstone for any pre-breeding program. There are currently 58,405 Lens accessions held in various genebanks worldwide (FAO, 2010). International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) hosts the largest collection (19%) followed by the National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, India (17%) and the Australian temperate field crops collection (9%). Currently, the most accessible and accessed lentil collection is held by the USDA-ARS (United States Department of Agriculture—Agricultural Research Service; https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/).
    Last edited by chuckChuck; Oct 22, 2020, 08:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
      125 varieties released royalty free for the up front funding total of 42 million. Over 25 years.
      Was it a good deal for farmers? What is/has the pulse industry meant to SK farmers? Some years sales of Pulse crops have been in the billions...

This thread is very misleading. No genetics were ‘given’away. Read it. The Genome Canada project was about developing a model to determine which characteristics of a cultivar make it suitable for certain growing conditions.
      And news flash, plant breeders all over the world have various reciprocal agreements for sharing germ plasm. How else do you introduce improvements? GM not being done in pulses (in Canada) so it’s crosses and back crosses.
      Not sure what the motivation behind this thread is. Whatever. Not my issue any longer. Just be good to seek out some facts before jumping to conclusions
      I guess an apology is in order for my misleading motivation and conclusions... I was unaware that germ plasm is still the cutting edge for genetic improvements and that we are indeed in the year 2020.

$42 million has provided 25 years of genetic data.
      I thought that might be worth something.

My error is further compounded by land/yield data given away for free but it now makes sense.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GENOME.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	770264

I'd like to introduce you to Beckman Coulter's Genome Lab GeXP.

It can take the 125 lentil varieties that farmers paid for, as you say, 42 million for and generate analysis from 384 samples and 3 million genotypes per day.

Cost of a new GeXP = approx $150,000.

Not often you get the opportunity of 125 identity preserved varieties gifted to you and have the ability to map the gene splicing.

I highly doubt that Russian agriculture intelligence, Putin and their blockchain wizards would be interested in our lentil genetic data... after all they are about 25-30 years behind Canadian breeding institutions.

So again, I apologize, please carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
        I guess an apology is in order for my misleading motivation and conclusions... I was unaware that germ plasm is still the cutting edge for genetic improvements and that we are indeed in the year 2020.

$42 million has provided 25 years of genetic data.
        I thought that might be worth something.

My error is further compounded by land/yield data given away for free but it now makes sense.

[ATTACH]6848[/ATTACH]

I'd like to introduce you to Beckman Coulter's Genome Lab GeXP.

It can take the 125 lentil varieties that farmers paid for, as you say, 42 million for and generate analysis from 384 samples and 3 million genotypes per day.

Cost of a new GeXP = approx $150,000.

Not often you get the opportunity of 125 identity preserved varieties gifted to you and have the ability to map the gene splicing.

I highly doubt that Russian agriculture intelligence, Putin and their blockchain wizards would be interested in our lentil genetic data... after all they are about 25-30 years behind Canadian breeding institutions.

So again, I apologize, please carry on.
        Dear LWeber,

Our world is undergoing real and hard to fathom changes. Covid - 19 and China has a vaccine already as well as control of the Pandemic... the genetics that are mapped before this pandemic even started and was spread to the rest of our planet.

Gene splicing/mapping and the 50 years of pulse variety development.... Al Slinkard and the massive good will the US shared with Western Canada... creating a pulse powerhouse of production and quality... makes the 50M$ look like a miniscule investment... as we now feed 100's of Millions with our pulse grains and fractionated products globally. Australia shared genetics with us... and we with them... all to everyone's benefit in the end.

Being old and bitter is NOT what we should be strived to be remembered by. The great work we did over the past 50 years created an international pulse leader of western Canada... in which we call all be patriotic and proud to be a part of... including the good work you and your family have contributed to our success.

Therefore I will remember the good work you have done [Larry]... and our foundation pulse plant breeders can be proud to be a part of this historic food transition to a new economy and opportunity for our plants/grains/foods to feed billions of people with healthy safe nutritious sustainable foods.

God Bless Canada, the US, and our little blue planet third from the sun!!!

Cheers!

Comment

Too bad the breeders had their heads stuck in the sand over root rot for the past 15 years .
          Pea acres dropping again next year in many areas .

Maybe instead of patting themselves on the back At winter meetings and so happy to share with the world ... they should have put a lot more time and money into disease resistance instead of just pumping out a whole bunch of me - too varieties they past decade
          Last edited by furrowtickler; Oct 22, 2020, 17:42.

Comment

Just keep growing more that will solve the problem...

The fact that Weber shows up and posts something is a good enough warning for me to understand how phucking incompetent people are on the commissions and farm groups...

And yet guys will defend the incompetence....

I suspect if Weber posted more of what he does know ...some people would start paying attention on how we have been taken advantage of with meeting addicts we call farm reps...

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
              Canada's lentil industry owes its success to the great breeders we have and their access to germplasm through germplasm sharing agreements with several countries and institutions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4960256/ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4960256/

Genetic Diversity of Cultivated Lentil (Lens culinaris Medik.) and Its Relation to the World's Agro-ecological Zones

Abstract

Assessment of genetic diversity and population structure of germplasm collections plays a critical role in supporting conservation and crop genetic enhancement strategies. We used a cultivated lentil (Lens culinaris Medik.) collection consisting of 352 accessions originating from 54 diverse countries to estimate genetic diversity and genetic structure using 1194 polymorphic single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) markers which span the lentil genome. Using principal coordinate analysis, population structure analysis and UPGMA cluster analysis, the accessions were categorized into three major groups that prominently reflected geographical origin (world's agro-ecological zones). The three clusters complemented the origins, pedigrees, and breeding histories of the germplasm. The three groups were (a) South Asia (sub-tropical savannah), (b) Mediterranean, and (c) northern temperate. Based on the results from this study, it is also clear that breeding programs still have considerable genetic diversity to mine within the cultivated lentil, as surveyed South Asian and Canadian germplasm revealed narrow genetic diversity.
              Keywords: lentil, genetic diversity, population structure, germplasm, SNP markers, agro-ecological zones

Introduction

Cultivated lentil (Lens culinaris Medikus ssp. culinaris) is the third most important cool-season grain legume in the world after chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) and pea (Pisum sativum L.) (FAO, 2015). Legumes are important components in farming systems, providing environmental and ecological benefits through crop rotation, especially by contributing to soil fertility and rhizosphere diversity through biological N2 fixation. Global annual lentil production was around 5 million metric tons (Tg) from nearly 4.3 million ha (Mha) in 2013. Canada was the largest producer, contributing 38% of the world's production, followed by India, Turkey, and Australia (FAO, 2015). Lentil was one of the first domesticated grain legumes, originating from the Near East center of origin (Zohary, 1999). Lentil subsequently spread to central Asia and the Mediterranean Basin (Cubero, 1981; Lev-Yadun et al., 2000). It is a relatively new crop in North America, first introduced into northwest USA in the 1930s and into the northern temperate prairies of North America in the late 1960s (Muehlbauer et al., 1995). Globally today, lentil is grown in three major distinct agro-ecological zones: Mediterranean, sub-tropical savannah, and northern temperate (Tullu et al., 2011). These zones each exhibit different day lengths and temperatures, which limits the exchange of germplasm between agro-ecological adaptation zones.

Success in crop breeding is a function of heritability, genetic diversity, and selection. Natural agro-biodiversity stored in genebanks can be used to expand the diversity in crops. These collections are a vital source for discovering useful genes/alleles, which serve as a cornerstone for any pre-breeding program. There are currently 58,405 Lens accessions held in various genebanks worldwide (FAO, 2010). International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) hosts the largest collection (19%) followed by the National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, India (17%) and the Australian temperate field crops collection (9%). Currently, the most accessible and accessed lentil collection is held by the USDA-ARS (United States Department of Agriculture—Agricultural Research Service; https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/).
              How many lentils you grow chuck ?

Comment

I think non-refundable levy is unconstitutional. That’s why the other groups never followed the Sask Pulse levy plan. They would have liked to but knew that it would never fly.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  How many lentils you grow chuck ?
                  200 acres last year all rained on for weeks and weren't worth harvesting. None this year.

Comment

I pay the Pulse Bullshit board a lot of money off my pea sales and can't get a penny back.

ITs a ****ing joke.

Canadian farmers need to wake up we are going to be replaced in a very short amount of time by Russia and Ukraine and then what Plant trees.

But let's not talk about FArming and Ag its piss all in most politicians world.

Were going to get handed our lunch.

Comment

One poor bastard put forward a resolution to make the saskpulse checkoff refundable at the last AGM....hardly got a seconded...and no hands went up....

The resolution failed....

Comment

The pulse board is the worst as far as I am concerned. Free money from us stupid farmers to do as they please.

Comment

125 varieties released royalty free for the up front funding total of 42 million. Over 25 years.
                          Was it a good deal for farmers? What is/has the pulse industry meant to SK farmers? Some years sales of Pulse crops have been in the billions...

This thread is very misleading. No genetics were ‘given ’away. Read it. The Genome Canada project was about developing a model to determine which characteristics of a cultivar make it suitable for certain growing conditions.
                          And news flash, plant breeders all over the world have various reciprocal agreements for sharing germ plasm. How else do you introduce improvements? GM not being done in pulses (in Canada) so it’s crosses and back crosses.
                          Not sure what the motivation behind this thread is. Whatever. Not my issue any longer. Just be good to seek out some facts before jumping to conclusions Reply With Quote

MY REPONSE
                          OK you have have be blanking kidding me...

This response speaks to the ignorance about, the long run trial and error process of defining and selecting varieties & traits to suit various climatic adaptations, which is intellectual property, housed in a variety, and the pace of the knowledge gap transfer, which this project has undoubted accelerated for our competitors.

Indeed, various reciprocal agreements for sharing germ plasm is indeed a valid, the world trades germ plasm but germ plasm is the platform for building a new variety not the variety.

The fact the University wishes to be benevolent and fund a large travel and research budget and plots all over the world to screen and assist the globe in the process of selecting from our pool of proven varieties those suitable to grow in environments around the world to solve issues of climate change, this is their prerogative as an academic, but find donors like Bill Geates please. I prefer you not fund this from my lunch as a producer.

Call me selfish UPCHUCK, but indeed as Russia & China open more land, & spend billions on agricultural innovation from genetics to logistics, including artificial intelligence we need to ask what is our long term vision for the industry in western Canada to remain profitable given our geographical disadvantage to markets.

And no its not the same as a container load of lentils becoming seed, which was a defense given to me.
                          Good grief, assisting, funding the rapid transfer of technological advances farmers and tax payers paid for by in genetics is like China & Russia giving away AI secrets. I will wait for this.

Oh my. Who gives away trade secrets, we do. Who pays to give away the trade secrets, apparently we do. And we are very good at it.

And if you want to spend money on plots to prove performance please improve variety testing for producers in Saskatchewan.

This whole issue speaks to the lack of vision; the blind are leading.

Comment

The research that you are so up in arms about is going to help Saskatchewan farmers as well by improving varieties for Saskatchewan. Variety development is always ongoing as every crop needs to enhance disease resistance and other characteristics through continued breeding programs.

We have benefited greatly from a shared genetic resource.

Farmers in Saskatchewan who grow pulse crops are doing very well relative to farmers in many parts of the world.

Comment

I just finished reading an article about a wrench being thrown into the Lentil market because its better to send the containers back to China empty than wait for them to be filled here...

Good thing we can grow good varieties with disease resistance and spray the hell out of them....but cant know what's going on in trying to convert the effort to cash...

No Mandatory sales reporting of our output is currently costing us more in losses on the farm ...

All the pulse processors that use containers will need a handout ...read that as AGT will be government tit sucking again...and they were given a railway and port facilities to Churchill to avoid this....

Comment

Yeah we are going to have to stop buying so many consumer goods from China so that they don't need so many containers and then there will be some empty ones for food crops. Hapag is sending empties back empty to Asia to speed up the turn around for Chinese exports! What a stupid world we live in!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...