• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herbicide Resistance

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XXXV, wouldn't it be nice to be XXX again, even XXV?

It's all down hill after L.

Comment

Or in my case it's all down hill after Click image for larger version

Name:	50_tally_marks_50th_birthday_gag_gifts_funny_50_ye_t_shirt-rf4ffde4727294c9c8be9058764d3711f_k2g.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	770162.

Sorry for derailing a perfectly good thread.

Comment

50 is the new 35... much like 30 is the new 18. Embrace it!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          Are you 35 Imperial years or metric years?
          When metric was coming out, and people were more than a little upset, my dad told Grandma about how difficult it was going to be to get used to the new metric time.
          That apparenty went over like a ton of bricks, or perhaps a tonne.
          Just before my time, but I sure wish I could have been there to see her red headed Irish temper response.

Comment

So read the thread again. So you guys suggesting old chemicals dont work anymore, or thecdead opposite some ofvthe old chemicals still work as well as new technologies and latest and greatest.

Ironically here chemical brews are often a mix of old and new.

Comment

Conditions play a huge roll in herbicide efficacy, some some than others.

Ironically they(granular products) had change the label to adapt to new farming practices.
              I'm old enough to remember how they wanted granulars applied compared to what they think is satisfactory now.

Surface applied versus incorporation. And they have the nerve to charge what they do.

Comment

I think there is efficacy in some of the older granular based products, but with current farming methods we cannot apply them in ideal conditions, so results suffer. Take avadex, edge, or treflan for example. They are meant to be shallowly incorporated twice at perpendicular directions to each other. In a minimum disturbance farming operation, who is going to disc or cultivate those in ahead of the seeder?

So we use the liquid option for things like avadex or treflan, but it says explicitly on the label that high trash volume on the surface will tie up the active ingredient and reduce efficacy? Even in the special areas there is generally too much trash above ground for it to work effectively, let alone the ghetto, or SF3s GOE.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                  I think there is efficacy in some of the older granular based products, but with current farming methods we cannot apply them in ideal conditions, so results suffer. Take avadex, edge, or treflan for example. They are meant to be shallowly incorporated twice at perpendicular directions to each other. In a minimum disturbance farming operation, who is going to disc or cultivate those in ahead of the seeder?

So we use the liquid option for things like avadex or treflan, but it says explicitly on the label that high trash volume on the surface will tie up the active ingredient and reduce efficacy? Even in the special areas there is generally too much trash above ground for it to work effectively, let alone the ghetto, or SF3s GOE.
                  We have been using surface applied edge for years. With generally good results. Prefer to get it on in the fall. But you still need some moisture. Also haven’t tilled in 20+ years so the weed bank is mostly on the surface. It is applied every 3 or 4 years ahead of lentils. If we have a little left over in the Valmar we might do a ring around the outside on a field to be seeded to canola. Usually if we plan right it is only a few acres left. We spread a semi load every year.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                    We have been using surface applied edge for years. With generally good results. Prefer to get it on in the fall. But you still need some moisture. Also haven’t tilled in 20+ years so the weed bank is mostly on the surface. It is applied every 3 or 4 years ahead of lentils. If we have a little left over in the Valmar we might do a ring around the outside on a field to be seeded to canola. Usually if we plan right it is only a few acres left. We spread a semi load every year.
                    I've been putting mine down in the spring prior to seeding on Mustard. Generally acceptable results, except the outside round which is always where kochia creeps in from on headlands and fencelines. I've contemplated fall application, but we can have completely open winters around here with plenty of wind. If you dont get a fall rain to push that stuff into the surface layer, I wonder if light snow cover and driving winds would blow it away? I've put it down ahead of red lentils in the spring as well even though it's only listed for lentils as a fall application. Crop injury has not been noticeable if it is at all present.

Comment

I've been putting mine down in the spring prior to seeding on Mustard. Generally acceptable results, except the outside round which is always where kochia creeps in from on headlands and fencelines. I've contemplated fall application, but we can have completely open winters around here with plenty of wind. If you dont get a fall rain to push that stuff into the surface layer, I wonder if light snow cover and driving winds would blow it away? I've put it down ahead of red lentils in the spring as well even though it's only listed for lentils as a fall application. Crop injury has not been noticeable if it is at all present.
                      Far better results applying in the fall. Only poor results were spring applied on a dry year. Lentils take it well. Early on I had a crappy gps. It would lose settings from time to time. Anyway the hired man input a 45ft width instead of the 50 ft the machine is. So double rate on 2.5ft strips across half the field. No noticable effects. Canola was the following crops so no problem.

Comment

Far better results applying in the fall. Only poor results were spring applied on a dry year. Lentils take it well. Early on I had a crappy gps. It would lose settings from time to time. Anyway the hired man input a 45ft width instead of the 50 ft the machine is. So double rate on 2.5ft strips across half the field. No noticable effects. Canola was the following crops so no problem.
                        I have been putting down 18lbs (old rate) or 9-9.5 new rate in the spring... what are you putting down in the fall, and what sort of snow cover is typical in your area? I should try a field in the fall and see what sort of results I get I guess. I know a neighbor that puts it down in the fall ahead of mustard but only uses a k-hart so gets next to no incorporation and he has had even poorer results than I if it's an open winter. It seems like if he gets a decent snow pack that sticks around, the results are certainly acceptable.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with mustard and higher rates of edge? Perhaps putting it down at 30-50% higher on the outside round would yield better results?

Comment

Does anyone have experience with mustard and higher rates of edge? Perhaps putting it down at 30-50% higher on the outside round would yield better results?
                            Mustard is very tolerant. At 50% higher you would have to worry about the following years crop.

We put 20 lb in fall, 18 in spring. Old formulation. Wait until just before first snow. Cause one wet snow and you are set.

I am 60 miles east of you.
                            Last edited by LEP; Oct 1, 2020, 18:33.

Comment

Mustard is very tolerant. At 50% higher you would have to worry about the following years crop.

We put 20 lb in fall, 18 in spring. Old formulation. Wait until just before first snow. Cause one wet snow and you are set.

I am 60 miles east of you.
                              Thanks. Now i have to decide whether im putting that low yield, buckwheat multiplier in again or not...

Comment

Thanks. Now i have to decide whether im putting that low yield, buckwheat multiplier in again or not...
                                60 cents.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...