• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wages

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed.
    But I've hired many who couldn't run a combine. They were still $25.

Comment

Ah, but can they grade your grain too?

I’m worth at least $26 😆

(I may be young but I have an unfortunate amount of experience with a shovel as well. Even if a lot of it involves cow shit, not grain)

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
        With todays combines, once they are dialed in, most teens can run them. Automation makes that even easier now. Grain cart guy, a couple hours and they are a pro. Trucking grain and filling bins, thats where you need to be careful green employees. Farming has come a long way in the last few decades, not much physical demand anymore. Most guys under 35 dont know what a grain shovel is, or what the big wrench is for hanging on the side of an old combine.
        The green guys go on the trucks here. What can they honestly mess up. Shear bolt? clutch? Combine operator is the most experienced here. Improperly set combine can be $50 an acre in no time. Automation has its limitations, buy a lexicon you will find out quick that it gets shut off numerous times a day. Yes even the germans can’t predict it all. Cart driver also needs to be on point when multiple combines are going and smart enough to keep them all going. And a good cart driver will know when bins are going to be full.

I’d much rather get a call saying auger is plugged than combine is plugged.

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
          The green guys go on the trucks here. What can they honestly mess up. Shear bolt? clutch? Combine operator is the most experienced here. Improperly set combine can be $50 an acre in no time. Automation has its limitations, buy a lexicon you will find out quick that it gets shut off numerous times a day. Yes even the germans can’t predict it all. Cart driver also needs to be on point when multiple combines are going and smart enough to keep them all going. And a good cart driver will know when bins are going to be full.

I’d much rather get a call saying auger is plugged than combine is plugged.
          Guess you’ve never got the “Oops I put the wheat in the malt bin” call.

Comment

Bahaha.
            I could be a poor teacher.
            Not sure how many hours to train a total greenhorn how to pick up flat crops and leave the rocks behind.
            Most Class 1 drivers capable...... most.

Comment

How about, “oops, I just backed over the auger.” A good all round fixer, semi driver, bin filler, bin closer, grain dryer and grain cleaner operator is worth a lot to us. We have that guy and we appreciate him. Come to think of it, every one is key and when they all contribute with a smile on their face, work isn’t really work at all.

Comment

Maybe they are worth $40/hr.

Comment

Rent farm for out for $120
                  Sit on someone else’s combine for $40-45 hr .... priceless!!

Comment

Although I've never been around a grain cart I can understand the "God made a grain cart driver" post.

With those kinds of expectations they better be paid well.

Comment

The real sight this year was to see the kangaroo rider after about 5 hours after air conditioner quit and temp outdoors 37 -38-39 friggin degrees out. He was fried, just in undershorts and pouring swet. Now that was a sight. That’s when you wanna be wearing your Calvin Kleins.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...