• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wages

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wages

I was wondering what the going wage was for combine operators. Just operating the combine no repairing or services required.

No wreaking? Comes when needed? at least $40 Probably closer $50

Iceman

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
      No wreaking? Comes when needed? at least $40 Probably closer $50

Iceman
      That must be the input capital rate charged to go out and combine and then tske the canola? Lmao!

Comment

I was offered $40/hr to run either combine, cart or truck.

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
          I was offered $40/hr to run either combine, cart or truck.
          FML....why am I farming

Comment

You're preaching to the choir.

We're overequipped for harvest, so I had thought of doing custom work once we finished. For that kind of $$, I'll work for someone else instead

Comment

For those rates I am available immediately to operate anything anyone wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                For those rates I am available immediately to operate anything anyone wants.
                I have a pitchfork, and a stoneboat in need of an operator. And a barn that hasn't been cleaned in decades, how soon can you start?

Comment

Geez. Train me up!

I’ll even suck up driving a grain cart for $50 an hour.

Comment

Couple thoughts here

#1. Dont tell my wife as she is the chief combine operator here and I have already paid dearly to have her and dont want to half to pay by the hour too.

#2. If you are gonna pay operators $50, plus fuel, plus repairs, plus capital cost, made as well just hire the custom operators it's likely cheaper.

#3. Only require a couple days of help here, pay $25/hr to a competent retired farmer. Hes happy to get out there and I'm comfortable he ain't gonna wreck stuff. Works for us.

Comment

With or without air conditioning? Man, when the air conditioner freezes up and it is 33 degrees out, it is the test.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                        With or without air conditioning? Man, when the air conditioner freezes up and it is 33 degrees out, it is the test.
                        Seems farmers willing to overpay for everything, no wonder we dont make enough money and complain about our costs.

Comment

$30 paid here. Cash or after deductions.
                          Definitely not overpaying if the combine worth $400k and the on the job training is an hour for two weeks work in 2 1/2 months.
                          Farmers forget some people actually feed a family on just wages.
                          But, I've known these guys for 10 years and they work part-time here year round.
                          Top heavy equipment operators.
                          If they were here for just harvest and asked for $50, I'd probably be forced to pay it. Although $ 40-45 more in line with top hands on the line.
                          $25-40 range likely here.
                          Last edited by blackpowder; Aug 26, 2020, 08:32.

Comment

#2. If you are gonna pay operators $50, plus fuel, plus repairs, plus capital cost, made as well just hire the custom operators it's likely cheaper.

If your make or break spread on a combine is $20 an hour you have your answer!

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                              $30 paid here. Cash or after deductions.
                              Definitely not overpaying if the combine worth $400k and the on the job training is an hour for two weeks work in 2 1/2 months.
                              Farmers forget some people actually feed a family on just wages.
                              But, I've known these guys for 10 years and they work part-time here year round.
                              Top heavy equipment operators.
                              If they were here for just harvest and asked for $50, I'd probably be forced to pay it. Although $ 40-45 more in line with top hands on the line.
                              $25-40 range likely here.
                              With todays combines, once they are dialed in, most teens can run them. Automation makes that even easier now. Grain cart guy, a couple hours and they are a pro. Trucking grain and filling bins, thats where you need to be careful green employees. Farming has come a long way in the last few decades, not much physical demand anymore. Most guys under 35 dont know what a grain shovel is, or what the big wrench is for hanging on the side of an old combine.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...