• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea that would be nice because here I am delivering a contract of wheat I did in may after the spring harvest that was supposed to go late June early July. Its early August. So they had three months to have fun and I was responsible right till the time its in the pit.

Today it's north from Regina to Tisdale then over to Melfort and back through Watrous to home. I think i saw most of the province.

Its an average. Take a drive boys their full of shit. A line splits well from bad and early from late. If it freezes the one side of the line will be poor grade and lots so feed prices will drop. If it comes off its a good average. Similar if the rain starts on the east side of the line and go back to normal fall rain events our side will have sprouting and downgrades.

Fun times but experts don't farm they are experts.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      WOW....85% off farm storage, and you still report some amazing wheat prices.

Here farmers have to build storage, the logistics of storing and moving Canada's crop through bottle necks demands on- farm storage.... at our risk of spoilage I might add.
      That’s a guess farma might be 75% nowadays. Just cause it’s in the bulk handling system doesn’t mean ya have to sell it

Comment

I assume there's storage charges for any producer owned grain in the system that is not sold or unpriced?

Can someone in the know post Canada's total commercial storage compared to the average yearly production.

I have to admit, I like having control of the grain I grow. I don't like selling wheat on basis or futures first contracts, once the grain is in the system I don't think the market has to bid to get it, they got the grain and pricing risk is still yours, no thanks.
        Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 8, 2020, 05:57.

Comment

Can someone in the know post Canada's total commercial storage compared to the average yearly production.
          Rather than total production, I'll put it this way.

Canada total exports of field crops is in the range of 50-53 MMT lately according to AAFC

Storage is around 14.3 MMT in facilities that are used in whole or in part to export those crops. Rare for an elevator in this day and age to get "plugged", so working capacity is less than the 14.3

Comment

I have to admit, I like having control of the grain I grow. I don't like selling wheat on basis or futures first contracts, once the grain is in the system I don't think the market has to bid to get it, they got the grain and pricing risk is still yours, no thanks.
            farma, there are hundreds of renters who wont even store crop on their landlords land, I cant even imagine having most of my crop in community storage unpriced.

Comment

Regina north to raymore you can tell it’s been raining and they all went to same meeting canola and barley. Not bad at all for that area. Then a dryer area and once at Melfort we’ll I wish my grandfather would have followed a cousin north.

Comment

I assume there's storage charges for any producer owned grain in the system that is not sold or unpriced?

Recieval fee $12 per tonne say delivered November. Monthly fees kick in March 1 think $1.30 per month.

Comment

Melfort area to Tisdale lots of flooded out spots and looks like it was wet when spraying.

But if your use to 65 on 160 acres that's 10400 bus per quarter or a bag on a great crop. Lose 10% of the acres on that field and its 144 harvestable acres x 60 or 8640 bushels now that field that you seeded at 160 is a 54-bushel crop. Again that's not the same as last year. Also seen lots of damaged crop coming south of Waka down to Watrous then south to Regina. Use the same scenario for dried out areas. Its an average for sure on canola. Cereals, in general, are good. One guy harvesting barley at imperial and few others swathing. Canola is turning fast south of that.

Comment

Our largest rain of the year was half an inch. I would say we will be very close to a crop insurance claim on the canola acres, durum slightly better, and lentils are ok but shut down premature. However if the fall and winter stay dry. We are in big caca for next year as subsoil moisture is non existent.

Comment

Frost August 26

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                        Frost August 26
                        Seen that ....

Will be train wreck here and north . Crops advanced lately but still behind in many areas due to a much cooler than normal 2 1/2 months
                        Hopefully not till after the full moon on Sept 2
                        The “corn moon”
                        Even then crops north of here will be in trouble

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                            Frost August 26
                            Is that the weather network outlook? They always have a zero in the night of the last day in the 14d forecast, just to scare us I guess.

Comment

Peas getting sprayed this week that’s a full two weeks ahead of last year

Comment

Friday and Saturday, weather network had us with 100% chance of 100 to 150 mm of rain for next saturday. Now down to zero chance. I see this a lot, and it is ridiculous. It’s like they let a child in with his crayons to screw it all up. Wait, can’t be, he had yet another “personal day”.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...