• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certainly no doubt that luck is the greatest determiner of yield. If you go 5 miles south of me a strip of hail went through that took 50-90% of the crops in the storms path. If you go 12 miles south of me 1 rain storm this year dropped 5.5 inches(140 mm) and washed out the crops and many never recovered. Where I am probably 5-10% of seeded crop area has been drowned out but the rest looks very good. Haying was and is a challenge and we managed to get it rolled up but I am a relatively small operator only 140 acres of hay to do. Now we are gearing up for silage, travelling in the field could prove interesting, only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      Excellent points Mallee. It sounds like you are describing several posters right here on Agriville. LOL
      I dont know any farmers who have the time to cover 3 prairie provinces and come up with accurate yield estimates. But the mal contents are always suspicious of experts who do. Yes they make mistakes and are sometimes inaccurate. Most of that is assessed in hindsight. But does anyone really think farmers are going to do a better job of estimating yield? Most of us are not sure of our own yields until it is in the bin.
      Some farmers are not , some could care less and some truly do know way more than many “experts” as far as yield estimates
      I have met all three , and I can tell you who are the successful ones ......
      Then there are some who know but simply go about their business and run their farms quietly and efficiently.
      There is no one size fits all , never will be but that’s ok , keeps farming interesting.
      The last thing we need is to be told what to do , how to do it and what we should get ..... not in a free country. All that does is suppress ideas and original thought . Kinda like communism.... no place for that in any environment or free society.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        Faba beans run 70? Who would have thunk it.

Far as I am concerned we have an amazing crop coming for only 5 inches of rain.
        Fabas and a hundred aren’t out of the realm.

Comment

I still dream about combining in August. Maybe someday? I’d rather have some heat and dryness to push the crop along than fight with it to the bitter end and harvest wet grain in october. Nothing is remotely even close to dessicate stage here. Like not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
            Certainly no doubt that luck is the greatest determiner of yield. If you go 5 miles south of me a strip of hail went through that took 50-90% of the crops in the storms path. If you go 12 miles south of me 1 rain storm this year dropped 5.5 inches(140 mm) and washed out the crops and many never recovered. Where I am probably 5-10% of seeded crop area has been drowned out but the rest looks very good. Haying was and is a challenge and we managed to get it rolled up but I am a relatively small operator only 140 acres of hay to do. Now we are gearing up for silage, travelling in the field could prove interesting, only time will tell.
            Sometimes your the windshield........... sometimes your the bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
              Fabas and a hundred aren’t out of the realm.
              We had a beauty faba crop coming , hail took 40-50% of it .
              Still be ok , but profit gone , hail insurance will help a bit

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                .......WOW. funny how learn to accept our own farm's capabilities. The Ghetto is all I know and is "home". I often wish we had more productive land. No sense comparing if I want to maintain sanity. It is what it is.
                You should come check out my version of Paradise. You would go home feeling a whole lot better about yourself. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  .......WOW. funny how learn to accept our own farm's capabilities. The Ghetto is all I know and is "home". I often wish we had more productive land. No sense comparing if I want to maintain sanity. It is what it is.
                  Don’t sweat it at all , there is always somewhere better , more rain , less rain , no hail , hail , frost , no frost .
                  The best crops we had in 15 years got nailed
                  36 1/4’s ... 10-70% .... that’s farming
                  Crops north of here look good but one early frost and in 2-3 hrs it’s in big trouble. Still late even after the heat we had .
                  Some excellent soils here , some very poor
                  Mother Nature is the equalizer at times
                  A lot here got humbled the past 3 years , 2 terrible harvests , a hail storm or two and things can change very fast
                  Never a great crop till its safely stored in the bin or delivered to the elevator

Comment

I drive around western canada every summer the sweet spot south Is nice the west side needs a few extra days and east side needed rain. Heat is taking crop and it’s not last year for sure.

It’s a average at best

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                      You should come check out my version of Paradise. You would go home feeling a whole lot better about yourself. 😁
                      Ghetto farming ain't for the faint of heart or anyone who knows better.

.......or is really schtoopit.

Comment

It’s so dry I’m getting fire fighting equipment ready. Getting one for grain cart and have a four wheel tractor on a disc and one water truck loaded ready to roll.

Combines all have water extinguishers and powder.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                          Sask3 if those are your expected yields you haven't had dry conditions. Get down to 10 or 15 bu then see how your summer goes.
                          Couple wheat crops in the father in laws neighborhood are in the bin. 8bu/ac...

Durum over the vast majority of his area is just past your ankle bone. The places where the snow layed it's a banner 16" tall. Many heads have aborted the top half. Canola that will be considered a hummer if it's above 15. Lentils and chickpeas will be the only things paying the bills over there this year. Some lentils coming off at right around the 20 mark.

That's dry.

Comment

The F.I.L.'s situation aside, I've started into yellow peas and was pleasantly suprised. Was hoping for 35, but running in the mid 40s by volume, and they are weighing 69lb/bu. The weight is a pretty nice bonus.

Durum is burning down. One field i'm hoping will do mid 40's the other is likely mid 20's. the mid 20's one has plenty of heads with the top 1/3 aborted. Weight will likely be an issue on that stuff.

Wheat is hopefully in the 30's somewhere

Mustard... struggled like hell to break the crusted over surface after heavy rain just after seeding. Some bare spots still out there, but the stragglers that did make it through sure bushed out. If we make double digits i'll be plenty happy. Canola in the neighborhood will likely be fairly close to average. Thinking 30's.

Comment

Guess the point I was trying to make crop forecasts etc country wide every state or province even usda at the end of harvest are usually not that far off. Within 5%

See on twitter some magnificent wheat getting peeled of in I presume sask. Not just one location.
                              USA similar

Guess with oz centralised storage for 85% of crop its size is well know by traders farmers end users

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                                Guess with oz centralised storage for 85% of crop its size is well know by traders farmers end users
                                WOW....85% off farm storage, and you still report some amazing wheat prices.

Here farmers have to build storage, the logistics of storing and moving Canada's crop through bottle necks demands on- farm storage.... at our risk of spoilage I might add.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...