• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola and planters

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tweety View Post
    Why the much higher cost of a planter for an indeterminate crop like canola?

2 lbs of 4 gm seed is 4 plants per foot at 80% mortality. 4 is pretty low for all the things that can go wrong. 5 gm seed is around 3 plants. Would seem there is much better places to save money.
    Where do you get 80% mortality? It would be more like 80-90% survival rate compared to a PHD of any brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
      Where do you get 80% mortality? It would be more like 80-90% survival rate compared to a PHD of any brand.
      80% live 20% die. Did i really have to spell it out?

There are 2 kinds of people in this world, those who can extrapolate.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        Lol , it’s much more than saving a bit of canola
        Ideally shoot for 200,000 seeds per ac or slightly less in ideal conditions
        Average is 2 lbs but can be 1.7 to 2.5
        Keeps close to 5 plants per foot . Seems to average seed spacing 2.2 to 2.5 inch
        As I have said for a few years ... it’s not for everyone . But neither is a $600,000 tractor and $600,000 drill . But they most likely work great for those that have them 👍.
        Higher cost ? Compared to what ?
        You're going to all the trouble/cost of using a planter, why not have earlier maturing canola, main stem canola and seed 9 plants per foot? Increase your yield, earlier harvest, decrease your risk.

Comment

When you get it wrong the first time....it's somebody else's problem. oh boy
          I always suspected canola plants were mortal

Comment

In your words in another thread, you're and idiot. Have you looked up the definition of mortality?

Isn't it funny how that came to bite you in the butt so fast?
            Last edited by flea beetle; Jun 1, 2020, 09:12.

Comment

You're going to all the trouble/cost of using a planter, why not have earlier maturing canola, main stem canola and seed 9 plants per foot? Increase your yield, earlier harvest, decrease your risk.
              Judging from what I read from furrow, and the pictures he posts, I would say that he has things figured out pretty well.

Comment

I think Tweety is a nice boy, but he shits to close to the house. Not sure he understands the meaning of mortality.

Comment

If i had 9 plants per square foot I would end up with a decreased yield. Might work in a higher rain fall area but not in a low rain fall area.

Comment

All side by side we done with planter / drill the planter matured first everytime . That’s what happens here in the real world . May be different else where .

Comment

Let me know when you do side by sides and plant counts for the next four years ... then you can add to the conversation with more legit posts 👍
                      Yup there is two kinds of people for sure , those that do and those that think they know without doing . It is what it is .
                      Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 1, 2020, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                        Let me know when you do side by sides and plant counts for the next four years ... then you can add to the conversation with more legit posts 👍
                        Yup there is do kinds of people for sure , those that do and those that think they know without doing . It is what it is .
                        Well ok then, seems all the answers have been determined.

Comment

Well ok then, seems all the answers have been determined.
                          Nope , just sharing what we seen and the questions others have asked .
                          Always more to learn with anything . Have a good one 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
                            I think Tweety is a nice boy, but he shits to close to the house. Not sure he understands the meaning of mortality.
                            I suppose i deserve the comments. Let er fly!

Can you explain to me what mortality means.

Comment

"80% establishment" would have been clearer.

I was kinda confused about 80% mortality but those do sound like Ghetto numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                                "80% establishment" would have been clearer.

I was kinda confused about 80% mortality but those do sound like Ghetto numbers.
                                Well yes, that would have been more clear, long days seeding and harvesting.

Has there been any recent peer reviewed trials since Craig Shaw did that one with AgCanada?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...