• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expectation of anonymity on a public forum.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expectation of anonymity on a public forum.

So a poster is upset with me ( as usual), presumably this is because I called out another poster for a bald faced lie regarding his past publicly held position, which in the process revealed his identity. Based on private conversations, and subtle hints dropped by many posters, this was news to almost no one.

I respect my fellow poster's right to anonymity if they so choose. Most of us are nobodies, and revealing our identities would mean nothing to anyone. Except, I don't feel that that right extends to public figures. In this case, the poster is a former( and very public) CWB director getting paid out of farmers hard earned income, and against their will, is a current member and public spokesperson of the Canadian Wheat Board Alliance, is a vocal member of the NFU, with his name appearing in many of their press releases, Is a regular writer of letters to the editor, and is often quoted by the media, all using his real identity.

With such a public profile, this poster is evidently not ashamed of his views, or afraid of public attention. During his time as an anonymous poster, he held a paid position, and ran for office within the CWB. The law is still somewhat unclear on these issues, but I think it is universally accepted that public figures such as politicians, by putting themselves into the public spotlight, and accepting compensation for it, have a lower expectation of privacy. Masquerading under an assumed identity, while campaigning for their own self interests, is at best unethical. Then outright lying about his past positions when called on it, certainly does not earn trust or credibility in the public sphere.

Courts have recognized that public figures (politicians and movie stars, for example) have a lesser expectation of privacy than ordinary citizens, but there is no analogous right to anonymity per se: As a citizen you have some limited expectation and rights to privacy (except in public places, public records and so on), but there is no legal or social right to be anonymous.
    What is your opinion on this? Does a posters public life have no affect on his/her right to privacy? Do any of us have any right to, or expectation of privacy? If I run for public office someday, and someone connects the dots and drags up every out of context post I've ever made, should I have any recourse?

I personally have no problem if any of you know who I am, but in the era of identity theft, I still do not want that information publicly available too easily. I am not ashamed of anything I write, and I often delete or erase a post before posting when I consider who might read it, how it might be construed, and what effect it could have on future endeavors if it were made public. Once we put anything onto the WWW, it is there forever, for all to find. A good policy is probably to send every public post you make to your mother, children, preacher, teacher etc. we would probably all be a lot more considerate and polite.
    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Apr 14, 2020, 17:55.

My opinion would be it's no ones place to expose someone else if they want to be anonymous, for that you are wrong. But by the same token, I think that there is way too much name calling and inappropriate statements on here that would be restrained if real names were used. I use my initials, and really dont care if anyone knows who I am, would stand behind anything I've posted and generally have been non-confrontational. I think it may be an overall better conversation with real names. I do value and respect the guys that have been "all in" like Errol, using his real name, while also operating a business in the ag field. (Others too, just off the top of my head)

Comment

Everyone knew who Vader/Rod Flaman was back in the last few dark years of the CWB. He still spouted his communist manifesto nonstop. Bragging about how he was saving the little farmers by holding back the BTOs of the time. If you are supposed to be our 'elected' director spokesman you don't get to hide like a ****roach under the warm blanket of anonymity. Your bio should be more than a flowery paragraph on a voter candidate ballot sent to a nursing home. Your bio consists of what you post right here and we farmers who were supposed to choose a director spokesperson have the right to know its truth. Thank **** those days are gone.

Watch carefully for any new poster popping up now. Kyle has been laying pretty low recently. Working on a new avatar perhaps.

Comment

If you want to stay anonymous maybe you shouldn’t join a public forum and act like an ass.
        All my neighbours know exactly who I am and I don’t expect any anonymous privilege so, maybe chuck should go hump a gopher hole.

Comment

One more truth here. Don't blame AlbertaFarmer5 for outing Kyle, Rod Flaman did that himself years ago.

Comment

Af5 needs to change his name to ChuckedChuckChuck. Chuckle

Comment

Even if someone changes their handle , it still comes through in the drivel
              A leopard cant change its spots as our recent name changer proved

Comment

Gee, I miss all the juicy stuff.
                The risk I took when I blocked him I guess.
                I've got a troubled teen to deal with and hired staff with power trips.
                Pyscho exes and bad habits.
                Just couldn't take anymore from this site on top of it.
                Self righteous twat.
                Now, let's all get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                  Af5 needs to change his name to ChuckedChuckChuck. Chuckle

Comment

AA: Agriville Anonymous

Comment

I think it’s pretty bad getting jollies off of berating someone’s identity let’s face it this is a right wing dominated forum if anyone says any thing anti right wing you get put down attacked personally more than the point of the issue. There are many level headed people on here but some are too far right or left. But so what that’s what our society is. Do you really hate someone far right or far left in view? Or is it sometimes not being able to deal with the truth not being on your side of an argument on a public forum?
                      Because chuck isn’t always right according to my beliefs but he certainly isn’t always wrong. have to laugh at some who go so far as to block a posters posts. Lmao lmao are you really that sensitive about reading something or is it just a little too much work to scroll down. Lmao.

We d be a complete shit hole place if things were left to the extremists of both sides. That is something I know is a fact.
                      Not at least listening to the other side is pretty dumb and dangerous if we all did it.

Comment

I just think it was about time to knock that prick off his pulpit, I couldn’t so I blocked him, he didn’t even write something that contributed to the form, all he ever seems to do is belittle everybody.

Comment

Ok, let's analyze the user name "chuckChuck".

Is capitalizing the second "chuck" in the username coincidence or purposefully done.

Who was Federal Conservative Ag Minister in the early stages of the WheatBoard being dismantled?

None other than Chuck Strahl. Who was running for a chair as a Farmer Director at that time? Kyle Kornychuk.

At times printed media almost made it seem like a chuk versus Chuck battle.

As the infamous Alf Bryan used to say: "I may be wrong, but...."

I think the subliminal message was to chuck Chuck Strahl.

Comment

I can only come close to hating one person on this planet and she doesn't post here.
                            Ignoring someone is better than doing something unprofitable.
                            I agreed with some of Chuck's posts and he opened his own self up to the vitriol.
                            Good on everyone here who's so multi gifted they've never avoided an annoyance.
                            I can personally testify that I do send certain phone numbers straight to voice mail. You may have my ex wives numbers go to yours if you like.
                            No shortage of sanctimonious pricks on here.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                              ........No shortage of sanctimonious pricks on here.
                              I resemble that comment!!!

Edit in: damn autocorrect! I meant to say "resent"!

I miss Grassfarmer too. Lots of common sense. Does that make me a Leftard?
                              Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 14, 2020, 20:48.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...