• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fiddle while Rome burns

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    There were more than a few seed farms pop up the last few years to take advantage of UPOV ..... not so handy now .
    Tom , spin it anyway you want , this was coming the minute it was enacted, no different than signing the Paris Accord, the sheep are about to get slaughtered.
    For those who can’t see past their own nose .. should have opened your eyes past the b/s from day one ..... there is always an agenda to this shit , and it will never be in the average Joe’s interest ever .
    Furrowtickler;

All farmers under the Canada Seeds Act, now have the right to be CSGA Seed growers if they so choose now. CSGA members have democratic rights now... that the NSO seed synergy proposes to restrict or in some cases terminate.

If there is plenty of money to be made... growing pedigreed seed... this is your right to do so now...under our present Canadian statutes.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
      Furrowtickler;

All farmers under the Canada Seeds Act, now have the right to be CSGA Seed growers if they so choose now. CSGA members have democratic rights now... that the NSO seed synergy proposes to restrict or in some cases terminate.

If there is plenty of money to be made... growing pedigreed seed... this is your right to do so now...under our present Canadian statutes.
      That may well be , that’s not the point . UPOV was set up from day one to steal seed growers rights , that’s the thing many never seen coming .
      Just saying some seen it as a windfall , never was interested in becoming a seed grower. There are many good seed growers around us already, not enough demand to ever consider the extra work involved. Most have excellent seed farms , some are shit . UPOV was designed to strip seed growers not give them a lottery ticket . That’s the point you may have missed.
      There is a reason Cargil ran a pilot project a few years ago with dedicated seed contracts for certified cereal seed treated with the latest and greatest seed treatment for a bazillion dollars/ bus ... they were testing the waters.
      I am not for it at all , but just saying it has been coming the day UPOV was brought to the table, they want to bypass the seed grower, which is not right but the writing was on the wall from day one.
      Again ... careful for what you wish for .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        That may well be , that’s not the point . UPOV was set up from day one to steal seed growers rights , that’s the thing many never seen coming .
        Just saying some seen it as a windfall , never was interested in becoming a seed grower. There are many good seed growers around us already, not enough demand to ever consider the extra work involved. Most have excellent seed farms , some are shit . UPOV was designed to strip seed growers not give them a lottery ticket . That’s the point you may have missed.
        There is a reason Cargil ran a pilot project a few years ago with dedicated seed contracts for certified cereal seed treated with the latest and greatest seed treatment for a bazillion dollars/ bus ... they were testing the waters.
        I am not for it at all , but just saying it has been coming the day UPOV was brought to the table, they want to bypass the seed grower, which is not right but the writing was on the wall from day one.
        Again ... careful for what you wish for .

UPOV was designed to steal farmer's rights, not just the seed growers. Many seed growers thought that UPOV would be their ticket to ride but that just got usurped in a palace coup. Anyways agriculture in canuckistan loses and cedes market share to the competition with this. Moneyed interests around the world know canuckistani's are stupid and they can get the keys to the house from our stupid polititians with a little promise of 'investment in the industry'. Well we just got sold.

Comment

So this royalty is applied point of sale on every bushel delivered at a canadian terminal. Right?

Can you see the solution?

Comment

furrowtickler;

UPOV is the voluntary genetic identification of a variety of seed by the plant breeder/agent/seed co in a signatory country
            ...UPOV is not required but is the intellectual property seed rights as explained at:https://www.upov.int/overview/en/exceptions.html#

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
              So this royalty is applied point of sale on every bushel delivered at a canadian terminal. Right?

Can you see the solution?
              Jazz;

No, a royalty is NOT applied point of sale on every bushel delivered at a canadian terminal. This collection system would require major legislative changes as well as elevator companies have objected to the complexity of needing to identify every variety at the receiving of grain into the elevator.

Therefore

It appears the Seed Companies are going ahead with some seed trailing royalties [in some cases as a pilot program] along with royalty collections on certified seed sales; or

continue collections of a royalty on certified seed sales as has been the situation for some time.

Changes in legislation are not needed to collect royalties using these two methods.

Comment

What is needed in an increasingly cut throat export market that we are dependent on here in canuckistan is deregulation in which nobody is allowed to corner the market. A little brown bagging to keep costs down in the system is far preferable to a system of rights and privileges for a select group. However, that is not the canuckistanian way so instead we have factions competing over the spoils all the time while we concede market share to the competition which is the FSU, and South America who are not interested in UPOVing.

Comment

Jazz;

No, a royalty is NOT applied point of sale on every bushel delivered at a canadian terminal. This collection system would require major legislative changes as well as elevator companies have objected to the complexity of needing to identify every variety at the receiving of grain into the elevator.
                  Tom you are way more up on this than I am. I would like to know exactly where the unavoidable squeeze would happen. I don't buy certified seed and I can avoid any trailing royalties by selling in the US which is a 2 hr haul for me. So they would outlaw farm saved seed somehow like canolaÉ How could they monitor that? And wouldn't such a move be grandfathered, so like this year I could seed the entire place to durum and have enough seed on hand before the legislation to finish my farming career.

I guess they could lay some levy out on the chemical which we cant really avoid, sort of like Clearfield varieties did.

Where does it hit?

Comment

I applied for and was granted a County development permit before the re-build within as close to the previous shop foundation footprint as possible for our proper replacement farm shop foundation rebuild after the 'partial loss' fire damaged our pre-existing farm shop. Our yard level is at grade for 300+ feet... and the Queens gravel is on the County road... and my gravel on the approach with proper ditch slopes finishing drop offs to ditch levels for correct water drainage...
                    All good. All your business.
                    If I got the chance for a redo here, it would be well away from the road instead of on it like it is now.
                    40 years of redo lol. Had I known then what I know now.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                      Tom you are way more up on this than I am. I would like to know exactly where the unavoidable squeeze would happen. I don't buy certified seed and I can avoid any trailing royalties by selling in the US which is a 2 hr haul for me. So they would outlaw farm saved seed somehow like canolaÉ How could they monitor that? And wouldn't such a move be grandfathered, so like this year I could seed the entire place to durum and have enough seed on hand before the legislation to finish my farming career.

I guess they could lay some levy out on the chemical which we cant really avoid, sort of like Clearfield varieties did.

Where does it hit?
                      Jazz,

You can set up a closed loop supply chain system... and as long as the actual genetics of the seed you grow your crops from...

A] originate from purchased pedigreed seed stocks [with all royalties paid] that you can prove with records, is progeny of your future seed being used; comes from these verifiable seed genetic sources you have grown, actually is for yourself, for your own farm's grain production; alone;

B] Is seed from a US variety then grown in Canada... imported possibly as feed wheat [the way this was done previously]... the progeny which is to be used on your farm alone...and the crops produced from this US seed is in a contracted closed loop production system with all of the grain produced returned to the US... possibly you could be operating outside of the NSO seed utopia... while your taxes and previous research funding deductions remain still paying for future seed R&D... with no real benefit to your farm.

Cheers!

Comment

Farming 101

Thanks for the Jan 22/2015 Agriville thread started by Sask3

SK3, Sawfly, Bucket, Mustardman, Tstep, and Farming 101 all predicted that with the passing of BillC-18 that this is exactly what's going to happen, and were 100% right. Hamloc gave a prefect example of what's to come.

Who was absent from that tread was none other than Tom4$$4Tom. Tom was obviously in favor of BillC-18 which was introduced by the Ritz the Con's and received Royal Assent Feb 25/2015. The Ostrich farmer was Tom's and the WCWGA puppet.

Now TOM4$$$4TOM comes on here trying to blame the Liberals for the mess created by Ritz and company only because it will now hurt Jackson Seeds bottom line.

Funny when so many Agriville posters were against the Seed Tax claiming it would hurt their bottom line, Tom4$$$4Tom defended it to the bitter end.

Seems to me you were the one playing the fiddle Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                          Farming 101

Thanks for the Jan 22/2015 Agriville thread started by Sask3

SK3, Sawfly, Bucket, Mustardman, Tstep, and Farming 101 all predicted that with the passing of BillC-18 that this is exactly what's going to happen, and were 100% right. Hamloc gave a prefect example of what's to come.

Who was absent from that tread was none other than Tom4$$4Tom. Tom was obviously in favor of BillC-18 which was introduced by the Ritz the Con's and received Royal Assent Feb 25/2015. The Ostrich farmer was Tom's and the WCWGA puppet.

Now TOM4$$$4TOM comes on here trying to blame the Liberals for the mess created by Ritz and company only because it will now hurt Jackson Seeds bottom line.

Funny when so many Agriville posters were against the Seed Tax claiming it would hurt their bottom line, Tom4$$$4Tom defended it to the bitter end.

Seems to me you were the one playing the fiddle Tom.
                          Grassfarmer,

Have the Liberals reverse UPOV91. Totally fine with me. Very different than an Industry/Seed Trade NSO take over of the Canada Seeds Act through termination of the democratic rights of farmers through the CSGA being terminated July 2020. Farm saved seed has been a heritage of western Canadian Agriculture. we were promised that farm saved seed would remain... which UPOV 91 can facilitate and assure... if the Industry and Seed Trade would respect this basic freedom.

If western Canadian farmers do not stop the Industry/Seed Trade NSO termination of the CSGA...that will have been your surrender vote for the end of farm saved seed; without a whimper or shot being fired. Farm saved seed has been allowed until now.

Blame the man in the moon... or whom ever your fantasy dreams up... then look in the mirror... and decide what you stand for, the NSO industry utopia? or the CSGA we have today with farmer democracy. Your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                            What is needed in an increasingly cut throat export market that we are dependent on here in canuckistan is deregulation in which nobody is allowed to corner the market. A little brown bagging to keep costs down in the system is far preferable to a system of rights and privileges for a select group. However, that is not the canuckistanian way so instead we have factions competing over the spoils all the time while we concede market share to the competition which is the FSU, and South America who are not interested in UPOVing.
                            Russia joined UPOV 91 in 1998, Ukraine joined UPOV 1991 in 2007.

https://www.upov.int/edocs/pubdocs/en/upov_pub_423.pdf

Comment

Grassfarmer,

Have the Liberals reverse UPOV91. Totally fine with me. Very different than an Industry/Seed Trade NSO take over of the Canada Seeds Act through termination of the democratic rights of farmers through the CSGA being terminated July 2020. Farm saved seed has been a heritage of western Canadian Agriculture. we were promised that farm saved seed would remain... which UPOV 91 can facilitate and assure... if the Industry and Seed Trade would respect this basic freedom.

If western Canadian farmers do not stop the Industry/Seed Trade NSO termination of the CSGA...that will have been your surrender vote for the end of farm saved seed; without a whimper or shot being fired. Farm saved seed has been allowed until now.

Blame the man in the moon... or whom ever your fantasy dreams up... then look in the mirror... and decide what you stand for, the NSO industry utopia? or the CSGA we have today with farmer democracy. Your choice.
                              Farmers said from the start this was a bad idea...some told politicians it was a bad idea...now the guys that supported it want the farmers to correct it...

Same with your Alberta Ag minister....he was in Ritz's office when BRMs were changed....now he is asking for the Liberals to fix the problem he helped create...

ZERO vision from people that always have strings attached to them...
                              Last edited by bucket; Feb 24, 2020, 08:04.

Comment

SVUA's are only the tip of the iceberg! The Monopoly NSO 'Utopia' is where the Seed Trade Industry is extracting the democratic rights of farmers [The CSGA] out of the Canada Seeds Act

The implementation of the NSO 'utopia' is where the Seed Industry/Trade can extract a monopoly premium from western Farmers... after we paid once dearly to enhance our seed genetics... in many cases voluntarily, over the past century.

Prairie wheat and barley commissions concerned about impact of SVUAs

Saskatoon, SK; Calgary, AB; Carman, MB (February 26, 2020) – Manitoba Wheat and Barley Growers Association (MWBGA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission (Sask Wheat), Saskatchewan Barley Development Commission (SaskBarley), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), and Alberta Barley have significant concerns about the Seed Variety Use Agreement (SVUA) pilot project and its future impact on western Canadian wheat and barley producers.

The SVUA pilot project was announced on February 25, 2020 by the seed industry at the Prairie Grain Development Committee (PGDC) meetings in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The pilot imposes the trailing royalty collection mechanism on farm-saved seed of selected crop varieties through a contract agreement.

The five wheat and barley commissions are not a party to, nor supportive of this pilot SVUA program. The pilot is separate from the federal government’s consultation process on a new seed royalty structure and signals the seed industry’s commitment to the SVUA model despite the on-going consultation. The consultation process, which also includes the End Point Royalty (EPR) model in addition to the trailing royalty model, was initiated by the federal government to inform the value chain and attempt to work toward the best model for all involved including farmers. Further, the SVUAs are being implemented via contract law and not a regulatory change, resulting in significant concerns from the commissions about the future of the consultation process.

“MWBGA has questions about the implications of the proposed SVUA pilot and its impact on the credibility of the ongoing consultation process being managed by AAFC and the CFIA,” said Fred Greig, MWBGA Chair. “We also continue to wait for the economic analysis to be released by AAFC as the next step in the consultation process.”

“Sask Wheat wants to ensure producers’ rights, such as the right to use farm-saved seed, are being protected in any pilot contracts and that producers clearly understand the impact of the contracts on their farms,” said Brett Halstead, Sask Wheat Chair. “We are concerned that the proposed trailing royalties could inhibit the adoption of midge tolerant varieties, should they be included as part of the pilot, which would have negative implications for the Midge Tolerant Wheat program.”

“This program has the potential to create frustration for farmers,” said Jason Skotheim, SaskBarley Chair. “There needs to be a clear demonstration of value to producers from this pilot program. Until that time, the pilot program should not expand to other crops such as barley, that already struggle with unique issues on variety uptake.”

“AWC believes that any trailing royalty system on varieties developed through the public breeding programs of AAFC and the western universities must take into account the fact that farmers have already made a substantial investment in the development of those varieties,” said Todd Hames, AWC Chair.

“It is critical that the government complete their consultations with grain producers and put a transparent and accountable process in place to demonstrate that the extra money producers are paying is advancing varietal development,” said Dave Bishop, Alberta Barley Chair.

The five commissions emphasize that it is necessary for AAFC to provide assurance that all royalties collected through the SVUA on AAFC publicly bred varieties will be returned to AAFC’s wheat variety breeding program in an open and transparent way to supplement the funding currently provided by producers and the federal government.

- 30 -

For more information or to arrange interviews, please contact:

Kate Menold
                                Communications Coordinator
                                Manitoba Wheat and Barley Growers Association
                                204-807-1912
                                kate@mbwheatandbarley.ca

Dallas Carpenter
                                Communications Manager
                                Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission
                                306-801-2643
                                dallas.carpenter@saskwheat.ca

Jill McDonald
                                Executive Director
                                Saskatchewan Barley Development Commission
                                306-370-7237
                                jmcdonald@saskbarleycommission.com

Victoria Decker
                                Communications Manager
                                Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions
                                403-219-7906
                                vdecker@albertawheatbarley.com"

And they are not aware of the July 2020 termination of CSGA and farmer democratic control being lost of the Administration of the Canada Seeds Act. Say NO to the NSO Seed Utopia administered by the Seed Industry.
                                Last edited by TOM4CWB; Feb 27, 2020, 11:08.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...