• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morris looks in trouble

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offense boys, but canola prices could drop another buck or two if they follow the route Minneapolis wheat did on testing the 06-07 low. Maybe that's what we need to put the pucker factor into the manufacturers? Right to the point they all break like the 80's before this thing hooks hard up. I wish no harm on anyone but it's a possibility, just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
      Two JD conservapaks seed the field across the road from me the past number of years. Seem to produce good crops. Just wonder what yield penalty they get from narrow row 12" spacing in cereals? There are a number of those rigs in this area.
      AJL, Can you explain the yield penalty in cereals comment? 12” is standard spacing around here. Anything wider almost unheard of, and 10” spacing fairly common. 7.5” spacing on some disc drills too.

All wheat studies I have seen find yield benefit at sub 12” spacing with 6-8” being the best.

Always trying to be the best

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleton View Post
        Says the guy who started a thread a few weeks ago about how shitty his canola crop came up this year 🤦*♂️
        That's right, same as the guy with the paralink beside me - funny what 2 months without any rain will do to all that expensive tech. Still made 60 bu a month late.

And I still didn't have a drill payment to make this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post
          AJL, Can you explain the yield penalty in cereals comment? 12” is standard spacing around here. Anything wider almost unheard of, and 10” spacing fairly common. 7.5” spacing on some disc drills too.

All wheat studies I have seen find yield benefit at sub 12” spacing with 6-8” being the best.

Always trying to be the best
          I have seen those studies as well that suggest a row width of 6-8" being best for cereals so was wondering how much yield decline you would get with a Conservapak at 12" spacing seeding a narrow row vs a 10 or 8" drill. Most of the JD conservapaks I have seed are 12" machines. Quite a few run 12" paired rows on an older Flexi coil or Concord drill around here and that seems to work well in this area.

Comment

Bigger , more complex is probably not the way of the future. A.I. smaller faster units without people , is probably where we will end up Don't need mega factories.

Comment

Taxpayer money going into these industries highlights how little the government thinks...while Morris is getting money for better facilities....none of it will matter if farmers can't afford to buy any of it...

If you want to really help Morris ....help farmers first....it is that simple...

No government politician or bureaucrat understand this simple fact.

The general public isn't in the market for a 500k drill and neither are many farmers....but eventually it works down in the used market to be affordable...gotta have new to have used.

I am not sure how many farmers....then by extension farm equipment manufacturers ...have to go through this before someone wakes the phuck up....

John Deere is laying off workers at the harvester works....there was a news video about how american farmers are putting plans in place to run their machinery longer rather than accepting higher lease payments on new...with lower grain prices....

Comment

I was wondering who makes a drill where the seeds come up before June 20th. 🤢 it’s very interesting seeing the BTO’s going all-in on “certain” new drills and a few sparse seedlings emerging intermittently on thousands of acres. But a good spring soaker levels the playing field. There used to be a farmer near us who never cleaned the seed runs in his discer and most of the seeds fell on the frame, shook off and got disced in and if it rained, he got a crop, maybe just like everyone else. Our neighbour leaves a hose off at the tower head to monitor his runs. Its an exact science-for sure!

Comment

One good spring rain can make you look like a hero in a few short days afterwards. Miss a bunch and all drills look the same. Get a light shower and some might just have enough to look better than the others.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                    I have seen those studies as well that suggest a row width of 6-8" being best for cereals so was wondering how much yield decline you would get with a Conservapak at 12" spacing seeding a narrow row vs a 10 or 8" drill. Most of the JD conservapaks I have seed are 12" machines. Quite a few run 12" paired rows on an older Flexi coil or Concord drill around here and that seems to work well in this area.
                    12" is fairly common so must work ok but no conservapaks and no knife openers. Trash clearance and hp requirements would be better. I run 10 inch with 3.5 inch paired row thinking better weed competition and warmer ground. Would be a drastic change here. If you are gonna swath you must have to go pretty well cross way from seeding direction.

I wonder if there is potential for heavier kernels with wider spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                      Only parts replaced on my 5710 in the 10 yrs I have owned it are 2 shanks, air hoses and a couple tires.

Virtually maintenance free.

ESN was the technology I adopted. Kept those single shoot drills in the field indefinately.

When you see a $25k drill grow a crop as good as a $500k one, somebody in the marketing dept must have raised an eyebrow? No?

Jazz, I think you are leaving out some simple math.

I’m guessing you’re not doing 6000-8000ac a year with your drill? And if you are, I bet you’re losing money by seeding later than the optimum seeding window. Are you factoring in the extra cost of ESN? A 6000ac farmer that’s using 500-600t of urea spending an extra $80t on esn(price last time I checked)would make a payment on that half million dollar drill.

My point being, what works for one farmer probably won’t work for another.
                      Last edited by Westcentralsk; Jan 12, 2020, 10:20.

Comment

I’m wondering if they will be at the crop show in Stoon? I wouldn’t think so, if they are I would hate to be one of the sales guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Westcentralsk View Post
                          Are you factoring in the extra cost of ESN? A 6000ac farmer that’s using 500-600t of urea spending an extra $80t on esn(price last time I checked)would make a payment on that half million dollar drill.
                          Solid point.

2 other considerations...

1) esn is only 44% N, urea is 46%

2) depending on soil texture, moisture, etc, does 1lb of applied urea give the same outcome as 1lb of applied esn? Conditions conducive to denitrification may mean lower esn vs urea laydown for similar outcomes. Cool spring early summer conditions may negate any advantage provided by esn.
                          Last edited by helmsdale; Jan 12, 2020, 10:43.

Comment

Love it when the 5710 crowd tells me my drill is overpriced piece of junk. Little do the know 99.9% of the paralink owners came from a 5710. Doubt one of them switched back....

Comment

Bourgaut is an amazing company. Products are built well and the biggest complaint is that they are too heavy. But they get the seed into the moisture no matter the year and they last for years. Parts support for 20 year old machines is awesome.

I don’t believe that they have ever taken a dollar of Government money, I know they have had lean years and been on the brink a few times, but I think they are debt free, employ a lot of people, make a lot of money and pay a ton of tax.

They have smart and strong management people that plan and build a for the year based on the market conditions and execute the plan. Have a waiting list for the next year rather than try and grab it all. They are pragmatic about the business and it is quite amazing all this talent comes from small town Saskatchewan. Their products new are too expensive for me so I need to buy them after the BTO’s trade in a few years. I encourage all BTO’s to keep the Bourgaut paint on the farm no more that 2 years old.

In my opinion they are a model Corporate Citizen and I don’t believe you will ever read about them out of business.

Comment

They did lay off some employees lately..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...