• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed wheat / falling number ???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed wheat / falling number ???

Why is falling number even relevant to feed wheat ? We did a number of potholes a while ago , obviously the wheat was froze and not even good for a 3 but they still said they had to send away for falling numbers .... WTF ????
    If going to feed market, falling numbers should be completely irrelevant no ?

Maybe gluten intolerant hogs/cattle?

Comment

Went through that last year, even though it's "feed" its still getting milled for flour. Pretty much have to go through a broker to sell into a true feed market imo.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        Why is falling number even relevant to feed wheat ? We did a number of potholes a while ago , obviously the wheat was froze and not even good for a 3 but they still said they had to send away for falling numbers .... WTF ????
        If going to feed market, falling numbers should be completely irrelevant no ?
        Yep same as the 2 row “feed” barley thats has to have good germ
        And they will look right in the eyes while they are feeding you this line of shit

Comment

Not all wheat needs to make leven bread.

Maybe someone from the CGC or CIGI could chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            Not all wheat needs to make leven bread.

Maybe someone from the CGC or CIGI could chime in.
            here is what the CGC will tell you....falling numbers are not a grading factor, so check your contract...

Who is supposed to monitor the contracts and the grading factors...the CGC....do they do it...nope...and they will admit as much....make a call..

Comment

The only “falling” my cows care about is when feed is falling outta the wagon into the bunks😎
              All the pig guys ask for here is protein........... if you don’t know it they don’t care either.
              No “intolerance” here.

Comment

I talked to reps from 3 different grain companies a couple days ago. Each had a different take on falling number required to make milling wheat. G3 said 275, P & H said 300 and RP said 250. FFS what is it? The CGC or whoever needs to make falling number an actual grading factor and not something guys can pull out of their ass.

Comment

Originally posted by oldjim View Post
                  I talked to reps from 3 different grain companies a couple days ago. Each had a different take on falling number required to make milling wheat. G3 said 275, P & H said 300 and RP said 250. FFS what is it? The CGC or whoever needs to make falling number an actual grading factor and not something guys can pull out of their ass.
                  Funny/odd,,, I was told this week at RP that the number was 290, 290 good, 289 not so good.

Is FNo.s even part of the CGC grading?

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post

Is FNo.s even part of the CGC grading?
                    No.....

Comment

Shop around..
                      RP says under 300, then the discounts begin..Ours is 289..30 cent discount..
                      Viterra same 289 number..ZERO DISCOUNT!!! just want to know which bin to dump it into..
                      Guess where we are hauling ours?
                      So what causes lower Falling number?
                      Mega Farm that puts more fert and goodies on than anyone on the planet..has a number of 240???

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                        Shop around..
                        RP says under 300, then the discounts begin..Ours is 289..30 cent discount..
                        Viterra same 289 number..ZERO DISCOUNT!!! just want to know which bin to dump it into..
                        Guess where we are hauling ours?
                        So what causes lower Falling number?
                        Mega Farm that puts more fert and goodies on than anyone on the planet..has a number of 240???
                        Here is my logic on what caused the lower falling numbers this year....not a conspiracy theory. ...a hunch....

Guys sprayed to speed up dry down and then got caught with the rain....grain was mature and mostly dry so the rain caused instant sprouting....lower falling numbers. ..

My wheat wasn't sprayed and left to mature naturally but wasn't when the rain hit....so by not being cured it took the rain and snow without sprouting. ...lowest falling number is 330....

Just a thought....and it's not to say don't spray....because normally it works well when under 30 percent...

Anyone want to discuss that nonsense. ? It's not scientific.....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                          Here is my logic on what caused the lower falling numbers this year....not a conspiracy theory. ...a hunch....

Guys sprayed to speed up dry down and then got caught with the rain....grain was mature and mostly dry so the rain caused instant sprouting....lower falling numbers. ..

My wheat wasn't sprayed and left to mature naturally but wasn't when the rain hit....so by not being cured it took the rain and snow without sprouting. ...lowest falling number is 330....

Just a thought....and it's not to say don't spray....because normally it works well when under 30 percent...

Anyone want to discuss that nonsense. ? It's not scientific.....
                          I believe that has a huge part in it yes .
                          Also these “higher yielding” bearded wheats seem much more susceptible to sprouting than the non bearded . A lot of AC Brandon is grown which has poor sprouting resistance is a factor as well .
                          Last edited by furrowtickler; Nov 2, 2019, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            I believe that has a huge part in it yes .
                            Alain these “higher yielding” bearded wheats seem much more susceptible to sprouting than the non bearded . A lot of AC Brandon is grown which has poor sprouting resistance is a factor as well .
                            I suspect brandon will be moved to a different class....

Another crazy idea is that bearded wheats pull the drops to the kernel and hold it there....just a thought...the beards certainly don't shed the moisture....

Comment

I wonder if anyone on the commissions or anyone else is studying things like seeding dates, variety, desiccation and timing of etc. I know some commissions have agronomists on staff paid by farmers.

I do know one elevator employee who on their own and for self interest only, has been following varieties for quality factors, not scientifically or any thing but things like beard length, maturity length etc, effect on sprouting and mildew, frost damage etc.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...