• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed wheat / falling number ???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    Here is my logic on what caused the lower falling numbers this year....not a conspiracy theory. ...a hunch....

Guys sprayed to speed up dry down and then got caught with the rain....grain was mature and mostly dry so the rain caused instant sprouting....lower falling numbers. ..

My wheat wasn't sprayed and left to mature naturally but wasn't when the rain hit....so by not being cured it took the rain and snow without sprouting. ...lowest falling number is 330....

Just a thought....and it's not to say don't spray....because normally it works well when under 30 percent...

Anyone want to discuss that nonsense. ? It's not scientific.....
    I heard the same comments yesterday at a COOP seed booking day lunch. Could be, if seed was dry once, more mature, even heavy fog/dew at ideal temps sprouted the hell out of our standing barley one year. Could just be timing, stupid luck/bad luck?

"A lot of AC Brandon is grown which has poor sprouting resistance is a factor as well ."

Same comments here, varieties that are less than VG sprouting resistance are a risk.

"Another crazy idea is that bearded wheats pull the drops to the kernel and hold it there....just a thought...the beards certainly don't shed the moisture..."

We had Landmark standing in the snow, CGC says no problem, 4 different samples all over 360 FN.
    Last edited by fjlip; Nov 2, 2019, 09:21.

Comment

I suspect brandon will be moved to a different class....

Another crazy idea is that bearded wheats pull the drops to the kernel and hold it there....just a thought...the beards certainly don't shed the moisture....
      Brandon is near the bottom it sounds like.

Comment

Here is my logic on what caused the lower falling numbers this year....not a conspiracy theory. ...a hunch....

Guys sprayed to speed up dry down and then got caught with the rain....grain was mature and mostly dry so the rain caused instant sprouting....lower falling numbers. ..

My wheat wasn't sprayed and left to mature naturally but wasn't when the rain hit....so by not being cured it took the rain and snow without sprouting. ...lowest falling number is 330....

Just a thought....and it's not to say don't spray....because normally it works well when under 30 percent...

Anyone want to discuss that nonsense. ? It's not scientific.....
        Thats interesting bucket
        We left 30 ac for seed in the middle of a quarter for seed that was dessicated
        Im gonna get it tested on monday ?

Comment

I just wonder if all the varietal testing is done by those wanting a seed tax for newer better variety for conditions like these...along with better recommendations as to timing ....oh and maybe a better weather forecasting system for day to day , week to week.....they have the population convinced on the 12 to 25 year out forecast...FFS.....

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
            Thats interesting bucket
            We left 30 ac for seed in the middle of a quarter for seed that was dessicated
            Im gonna get it tested on monday ?
            Hope you have dessicated tested too and share the comparison results. I think we need more testing like this done.

Comment

Originally posted by walterm View Post
              Hope you have dessicated tested too and share the comparison results. I think we need more testing like this done.
              Sure will , the 130 ac has a FN of 290 which is the best we have

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                Sure will , the 130 ac has a FN of 290 which is the best we have
                Thanks I'm sure when desiccated you didn't know FN was going to be an issue but makes for good trial. We need to do these kinds of trials foe all varieties so farmers have better idea when selecting as to what may happen if they chose a certain variety and or choose to desiccate or even swath or leave standing.

Comment

Originally posted by walterm View Post
                  Thanks I'm sure when desiccated you didn't know FN was going to be an issue but makes for good trial. We need to do these kinds of trials foe all varieties so farmers have better idea when selecting as to what may happen if they chose a certain variety and or choose to desiccate or even swath or leave standing.
                  Won't the seed tax help cover off all the pertinent info you need to buy new seed....lmao....thats a sarcastic remark...

Comment

Won't the seed tax help cover off all the pertinent info you need to buy new seed....lmao....thats a sarcastic remark...
                    Maybe some of the check off $ could be spent on R&D on these kinds of issues, that might be more beneficial in growing and marketing farmers produce at the local elevators. Might not benefit grain companies marketing overseas as much tho.

Comment

Does the FNo. change with the dryness of the sample?
                      Is a No. measured at 17.0% moisture different, after the bin is dried to 14.5% moisture?

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
                        Is a No. measured at 17.0% moisture different, after the bin is dried to 14.5% moisture?
                        I like that question...thats a good one...and very relevant....because I can't answer it.....

Here is what i Know ....the dry grain from last year tested 359 with 13 moisture 14.5 px ...the damp stuff at 18 moisture this year tested 338 with 11px...had been rained and snowed on....

I know I had little sprouting in the wheat this year...

To your question ....if you have the samples ...get it tested...tell us the results...I am curious...
                        Last edited by bucket; Nov 2, 2019, 10:32.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
                          Good question should be lots of elevator or CGC or 3rd party inspectors that lurk here that could answer. I've never questioned that before.

Comment

If you are like here and protein is tenish isn't fn meaningless because feed is worth more, don't matter to me if it's 2 or 3 by fn with the protein discounts.

Comment

Falling number was probably ruined when any wheat was cured and dry standing or in the swath and it got wet long enough to start the germination/sprouting process...... what stage your wheat was at when the crap weather hit will determine the extent of damage, if any.

Green immature wheat can withstand alot of adversity.

I doubt the moisture content of the thrashed grain affects the falling number results, the damage occurred before it was harvested and the test requires grinding and taking measured amounts of the flour MIXED with a measured amount of water to produce a slurry for the test anyway.

I think the problem lies with what value is "acceptable". No, falling number is not a CGC grading factor, but subjectively "hand picking" a 50 or 100 gram sample is!!! "SUBJECTIVELY HAND PICKING". I think I would rather rely on the "hopefully repeatable accuracy" of a methodical test than the subjectivity of an "untrained eye".

I don't have any borderline grain here, it's either "fine" or "well below anything "ACCEPTIBLE" for milling quality.

Quality parameters need to be established for the falling number test, enter the CGC and CIGI. Why those parameters don't already exist and are part of grade determinants guide is beyond me.

FFS... Let's move away from subjective grading toward objective grading where ever we can! Technology exists for it!

Comment

Warm and wet and mature grain is what causes the problems. When its 15-20 degrees and foggy or a light mist and humid is all it takes. Get below 5 degrees and the quality won’t change much. If the grain is not mature it won’t deteriorate like mature grain.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...