• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest Delays

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Delays

Well the forecast looked ok yesterday with things supposed to clear up today and hopefully get things rolling over the next few days..but now calling for 2-3 inches next Monday....sure glad I seeded all of my low spots. Seed barley they said....it will come off early they said....it will be a miracle it doesn't sprout.
    Last edited by Goodtime; Sep 3, 2019, 06:47.

The forecast went from I have a plan to swath all our Barley and harvest Friday and Saturday to WTF am I going to do it's a wet week ahead.

I am ordering gas for the dryer today.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodtime View Post
      Well the forecast looked ok yesterday with things supposed to clear up today and hopefully get things rolling over the next few days..but now calling for 2-3 inches next Monday....sure glad I seeded all of my low spots. Seed barley they said....it will come off early they said....it will be a miracle it doesn't sprout.
      Wheat has already sprouted in the stand. Too much dew fog in mornings and rain every third day.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
        The forecast went from I have a plan to swath all our Barley and harvest Friday and Saturday to WTF am I going to do it's a wet week ahead.

I am ordering gas for the dryer today.
        If you wanna see the damage a swather can do take a drive out here
        Park the swather at least for 2 weeks till Dorian is done with us
        A lot of the various grass fields never got picked up might be able to bale them if weather ever smartens up
        All the swathed barley is ****ed

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          A lot of the various grass fields never got picked up might be able to bale them if weather ever smartens up
          All the swathed barley is ****ed
          Ya we got caught a bit , swathed 2 1/4’s wheat when forecast looked decent for 7 days . Then it showered every ***in day .
          We gambled a little but missed most of those heavy rains . We get the rest in a few days hopefully. It will still be ok here but areas that have had a lot of rain swathed cereals of any sort are in trouble big time . Usually can time it ok with forecasts but they are ass useless as used toilet paper now

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
            Wheat has already sprouted in the stand. Too much dew fog in mornings and rain every third day.
            Sometimes wonder how much variety has to do with it? I remember when dad used to grow mostly Neepawa it would lay in swaths in rain/wet for weeks and only be sprouted where tractor ran over it on corners. He would hurry to get it swathed before it rained so it wouldn't go down.

Comment

Originally posted by walterm View Post
              Sometimes wonder how much variety has to do with it? I remember when dad used to grow mostly Neepawa it would lay in swaths in rain/wet for weeks and only be sprouted where tractor ran over it on corners. He would hurry to get it swathed before it rained so it wouldn't go down.
              Yes I wonder that also.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                Do you think there was another option for the grasses flat on the ground? Anything that wasn't flat on the ground is long since shelled out.
                Last edited by Dr Tone; Sep 3, 2019, 09:12.

Comment

Still have not had more than a day and a half at a time combining
                  Colander moves foreword , days getting shorter and nights longer and wetter
                  Need a change and hopefully not like last year.
                  We are at 12% harvest complete.
                  Most years we are sitting around 35-40 % done by this time
                  And this pocket 10-14 days ahead of most NW sask

Comment

Last year Sept 8 was last combining day in Sept. Oct 4 started binning or drying tough canola, panic, nobody could wait for DRY. After Oct 18 all canola was DRY under 8%, but who knew?

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                      Last year Sept 8 was last combining day in Sept. Oct 4 started binning or drying tough canola, panic, nobody could wait for DRY. After Oct 18 all canola was DRY under 8%, but who knew?

I was just waiting for someone to bring up last year. Hope you didn’t jinx us now.

Comment

As a guy from a place where August combining is like hens teeth, and October combining is pretty well a guarantee, all I can say is don’t panic guys. Yet. Be happy you are generally drier, lots of time yet.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          ...Colander moves foreword , days getting shorter and nights longer and wetter ....
                          Hey Furrow if you maybe used a calendar instead your harvesting plan wouldn't be full of holes lol

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                            Hey Furrow if you maybe used a calendar instead your harvesting plan wouldn't be full of holes lol
                            That is hilarious.....the spelling Nazi is on the job.

Comment

Wow now all of next week looking damp....one positive is it is buying more time for green canola...we are servicing up the dryer and ordered a propane top up...looks like it will be a steamy winter.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...