• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nearly 4 BILLION to dairy and supply managed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grahamp View Post
    Let me stress I am not running through meadows of unicorns and pots of gold. Things do look grim and things look bad for next year as well. I don’t know what to grow next year. I am simply stating I would sooner own a grain farm then a supply management operation.

I just hate when we look to dairy and chicken farmers and think the answer to our problems is to tear down their industry. Ok so let’s end supply management tomorrow and quota is now worthless. Most dairies and chicken operations would close. It is virtually impossible to compete with the southern US cost of production. These families equity is now all gone. I suppose this would bring untold joy to Saskatchewan farmers? Canola and wheat would skyrocket and all the pulse crop tariff issues would immediately be resolved. If you anyone thinks supply management is so great they should sell their grain farm and buy a dairy or chicken barn.
    How the hell is grain better? our destroyed markets and selling for such lower prices while all our costs going up and using a system that works on past revenue for a guarantee. While supply produce is guaranteed a revenue and even guaranteed revenue to not produce? What guarantee do we have if canola goes to 8 bucks peas etc already in shitter prices. Wheat was better 40 years ago. There is a reason input capital is around. How many of your neighbors forced out or won’t put their kids into it or kids just don’t see the value for the risk?
    Don’t get me wrong good for supply but let’s have some equality here.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamp View Post
      If you anyone thinks supply management is so great they should sell their grain farm and buy a dairy or chicken barn.
      So if people say the dairy is favoured over grain farmers this is the official response?

50% of dairy is in Quebec so it’s not a stretch to say this last announcement of payments over 5 years and the timing prior to an election is very political.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...