• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nearly 4 BILLION to dairy and supply managed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulse Canada is also mostly ignoring the biggest threat to pea acres ...... the real cause of root rot .
    The blame it on too much moisture and rotation .... lol . My area had 6/10 of rain from May 1st through early July but some pea fields had root rot . I pointed it out to local Sask Pulse people , for the 4th year in a row with very similar conditions..... it was completely ignored , again .
    Acres will continue to struggle going forward not only on price but on lack of understanding of how their product grows.
    Some know the story , but intentionally ignore facts . Their loss , and a huge loss to a great rotational crop for producers.

Comment

bucket, "I should say this ...I am not envious of them getting the payment...I just don't understand why other sectors are ignored... "

I agree, other sectors shouldn't be ignored, but if the feds would have made a payment for pulses in 2018 and for canola in 2019, there wouldn't have been enough money left for Ag, to payout to dairy.
      And right now the LPC needs money for dairy as half will end up in Qbeck, and there's an election coming. Payments for canola and pulses won't garner any votes or win ridings for the LPC, but they need the influence in Qbeck. This has been planned for awhile.
      This is politics at it's grandest.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        Pulse Canada is also mostly ignoring the biggest threat to pea acres ...... the real cause of root rot .
        The blame it on too much moisture and rotation .... lol . My area had 6/10 of rain from May 1st through early July but some pea fields had root rot . I pointed it out to local Sask Pulse people , for the 4th year in a row with very similar conditions..... it was completely ignored , again .
        Acres will continue to struggle going forward not only on price but on lack of understanding of how their product grows.
        Some know the story , but intentionally ignore facts . Their loss , and a huge loss to a great rotational crop for producers.
        Do you think that some of the ignorance is from the push from chemical companies to get their share of treating the problem? Not saying it does or doesn't help but there seems to be something else going on when root rots show up in a year like this...

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
          bucket, "I should say this ...I am not envious of them getting the payment...I just don't understand why other sectors are ignored... "

I agree, other sectors shouldn't be ignored, but if the feds would have made a payment for pulses in 2018 and for canola in 2019, there wouldn't have been enough money left for Ag, to payout to dairy.
          And right now the LPC needs money for dairy as half will end up in Qbeck, and there's an election coming. Payments for canola and pulses won't garner any votes or win ridings for the LPC, but they need the influence in Qbeck. This has been planned for awhile.
          This is politics at it's grandest.
          There is plenty of money if Trudeau hadn't thrown it all over the world on absolutely useless causes....

Comment

And don't forget ...we got an extension to the loan payment.....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
              So some quick math from the news....if an 80 cow dairy is getting 28000....then the farm that recently burned down with 800 plus cows would be getting 280,000 plus another 60000 for the cows still alive....

I am not complaining....but a 80 cow calf herd on the prairies eat as well and are shut out of meat markets...

Can someone explain the difference...and why shouldn't beef producers be getting the same funding considering the tough spring where guys were forced to sell with no pastures....
              Duh!!
              Don’t you know beef cows fart methane and dairy cows don’t? It’s all about global warming. Beyond milk?

Comment

Liberals simply trying to buy votes out east and throwing cow pies in the face of everyone else 👎👎

Oh and supporting those hard done by Hutterites. The same Hutterites that are buying out farms all over paying 30-40% over market value

Comment

Furrow, I’m not sure if I missed one of your posts about the “real” cause of root rot or not but I would like to hear what it is. Not trying to be a dick or anything but like another poster said “ i’m Not good at riddles”.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post
                    Remember that this is compensation for losses suffered in NAFTA 2.0 WHICH HASN'T EVEN BEEN SIGNED YET. Minister Bobo's seat at least should be secure.
                    The only reason you appoint a clueless person from Quebec as Ag Minister is for a Quebec payoff.

Trudeau is desperate to keep power, Quebec seats are his only chance.

Comment

I have family in supply management and it is a tricky situation. They bought their quota in the last 20 years so while it is higher than when they bought it isn’t like they got it for free. And keep in mind it is the only legal way to produce these products. You want to be a dairy farmer? pay 25-35000 per KG or go to jail. So it does stand to reason if you have to pay that to get in that there is some protection.

Finally I believe the 4 billion is set aside only if they are able to show that they have real losses directly related to the trade deal. It is not guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamp View Post
                        I have family in supply management and it is a tricky situation. They bought their quota in the last 20 years so while it is higher than when they bought it isn’t like they got it for free. And keep in mind it is the only legal way to produce these products. You want to be a dairy farmer? pay 25-35000 per KG or go to jail. So it does stand to reason if you have to pay that to get in that there is some protection.

Finally I believe the 4 billion is set aside only if they are able to show that they have real losses directly related to the trade deal. It is not guaranteed.
                        Don't think quota prices will be going down.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Dairy Imports.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	767627

Comment

We pay a shitload to play the game and getting worse while the returns now are lowered through no fault of our own. They’re already guaranteed what they get. Yet are getting another guarantee for not getting something that they don’t have to produce is that it? Seems really fair to me.

Comment

I may have misunderstood this payment, I am more familiar with chickens. I thought the payment was only if the trade agreement cost them money.

As far as fair or not I don’t know what to say. At different times in the last 40 years different sectors have enjoyed different subsidies that have been very lucrative if you were in the right industry. GRIP (a little before my time) I think was free money for grain farmers. CAIS was an absolute money printing machine for feedlots that had very little other income to stabilize their revenue. (Volatile was better)

Right now is good for supply management, but there is enormous stress when 90% of your net worth is tied up in a piece of paper that may not be around to pass on to your children. I still think there is nothing better than being a western Canadian grain grower.

Comment

I may have misunderstood this payment, I am more familiar with chickens. I thought the payment was only if the trade agreement cost them money.

As far as fair or not I don’t know what to say. At different times in the last 40 years different sectors have enjoyed different subsidies that have been very lucrative if you were in the right industry. GRIP (a little before my time) I think was free money for grain farmers. CAIS was an absolute money printing machine for feedlots that had very little other income to stabilize their revenue. (Volatile was better)

Right now is good for supply management, but there is enormous stress when 90% of your net worth is tied up in a piece of paper that may not be around to pass on to your children. I still think there is nothing better than being a western Canadian grain grower.
                              I agree with your last sentence, well I used to . Check your books next February and see if you still have the same enthusiasm. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer , but reality is bitting much harder than most admit

Comment

I agree with your last sentence, well I used to . Check your books next February and see if you still have the same enthusiasm. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer , but reality is bitting much harder than most admit
                                Let me stress I am not running through meadows of unicorns and pots of gold. Things do look grim and things look bad for next year as well. I don’t know what to grow next year. I am simply stating I would sooner own a grain farm then a supply management operation.

I just hate when we look to dairy and chicken farmers and think the answer to our problems is to tear down their industry. Ok so let’s end supply management tomorrow and quota is now worthless. Most dairies and chicken operations would close. It is virtually impossible to compete with the southern US cost of production. These families equity is now all gone. I suppose this would bring untold joy to Saskatchewan farmers? Canola and wheat would skyrocket and all the pulse crop tariff issues would immediately be resolved. If you anyone thinks supply management is so great they should sell their grain farm and buy a dairy or chicken barn.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...