• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volunteer Canola not treated can withstand anything mother nature throws at it.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volunteer Canola not treated can withstand anything mother nature throws at it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Udz7zCayR+W59eHT0bolGA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	778449

As the year progresses something funny is happening in last years canola fields deep in the 2019 wheat crop. Every rain we get some more Canola from last year germinates and away it goes.

This same volunteer seed has taken on the flea beetles the frost the drought the rain and some still after spraying keeps going strong.

But the expensive shit we pay companies Millions for cant grow because its to dry, Cant take frost, can't take excess rain etc etc.

It's hilarious these tiny plants that are either from years ago hail damage or from out of the back of combine last year or shelled on the knife direct cutting etc are doing better than our expensive seed.

Yet some believe a seed tax will help.

Yea the seed tax will help create a welfare state for seed companies to get a guaranteed income at the expense of the farmers they supply.

Shit and good will be all equal.

Again anyone else notice, how strong the volunteer seeds are vs the real blue deal.

Just asking for a friend.

Seeing the same thing here as many canola fields are patchy with small spindly plants that look like they haven't accessed the applied fertilizer. Plants that regrew after frost damage look very weak. Spraying cereals for the second time to control volunteer canola that has germinated after 7 inches of rain in June. It also looks untouched by flea beetles.

Comment

Volunteer canola is a weed. Far tougher than seed. It is a real problem in Soybeans.

Comment

It was so dry this spring that no volunteers started till the recent rains.
        So, can't comment on early spring canola volunteer growth.

Right now no volunteers are surviving a shot of 24D.

Will add that I do not like Helix at all.

Comment

Took this photo two weeks ago on South Coast Hwy west of Esperance

Comment

Hey Austra, it looks like a dandelion but not quite the same. Not sure what it is...

I'm sure glyphosate will take it out

Comment

Devil's Advocate.....I don't think we realize how many volunteers don't make it. How many lbs. per acre are lost to shattering, header loss, pick up loss, thrown out the back of the combine compared to the "five" lbs. per acre we intentionally seed.

But I still agree at the seedling stage they sure are hardy in comparison to the pretty blue ones.

Got to wonder if some of those seed treatments inhibit germination and weaken the seedlings when they do emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                Hey Austra, it looks like a dandelion but not quite the same. Not sure what it is...

I'm sure glyphosate will take it out
                That's a capeweed. Australia's dreaded dandelion.

Comment

Originally posted by Austranada View Post
                  That's a capeweed. Australia's dreaded dandelion.
                  Two glugs of round up and two glugs of curtail M in a hand sprayer will take that out no problem...... 😂

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    Two glugs of round up and two glugs of curtail M in a hand sprayer will take that out no problem...... 😂
                    Is that label rate?

Comment

I think our new shitty expensive seed treatment hurts something because the volunteers are really tough.

Comment

I have asked if I could buy untreated canola seed from a retailer....nope...

If everyone sprays after buying 80 dollar an acre seed why bother treating it?

Based on what I see from untreated mustard seed and canola volunteers it seems they can come out quicker and stay ahead of the problems..

What would be wrong with using contans and seeding untreated seed and spraying with pounce?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                          I have asked if I could buy untreated canola seed from a retailer....nope...

If everyone sprays after buying 80 dollar an acre seed why bother treating it?

Based on what I see from untreated mustard seed and canola volunteers it seems they can come out quicker and stay ahead of the problems..

What would be wrong with using contans and seeding untreated seed and spraying with pounce?
                          And how would you expect those poor famished SeedCo/ChemCo to make any money.

We are dealing with a huge rip-off scam. What ever the market will bear. And people are still buying the scam. Prosper and Helix are a ****ing joke. Lumiderm products are stoopid expensive....what would the true flea beetle rate cost? We are being fleeced. Ask someone what the applied rate of Lumiderm is on the seed, how many mls/100kg of seed....silence on the other end of the phone or a blank stare in person. Don't ask hard questions, just swallow hard and pay! Look at the difference between the cutworm and flea beetle rate...how much more do you want to pay? ....it is already staggeringly over priced at the low rate.

Upcharge for shit value. We are being treated like fools.
                          Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 2, 2019, 08:54.

Comment

It’s like you say we’re being F$&ked royally for shit. Basic shit seed.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                              It’s like you say we’re being F$&ked royally for shit. Basic shit seed.
                              Remember when Monsanto went to try to a create a seed that grew like a demon for one year then quit after that so they could make farmers buy it every year?

Guess life had other plans. There is no tinkering with the code of life to make it terminate when egg head scientists want. This DNA is billions of yrs old. Selective single yr survival cannot be engineered. I suspect these hybrids are mutating wildly in the environment. Be just like G2 mustard in a few yrs probably.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...