• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out door cooking?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out door cooking?

We have always used a propane BBQ and the last one we bought was a Broil King which was decent but the burners are all burnt out so we want to replace it. We keep hearing about Traegers and wondering about them. More money and i wonder how fast they are?

With a propane one I can light it up on my way into the house at noon and by the time i wash up and get burgers out of the freezer its hot and ready to cook. Would the wood pellet ones work that fast?

Just talked about this with some who have both.

The pellet ones are good if you like smoked meat but BBQ grills are much quicker.

The fastest are the big camp stoves with a cast iron griddle or fry pan but you have to wash the pan.

Great way to go if you like crusty burgers or steak. Good outdoor deep fryer.

Comment

I haven't used a Traeger, but my neighbour has one and likes it. That is all I know about the Traeger.

I ended up buying a Louisiana pellet grill. I LOVE it. You can use exactly like a Traeger, but there is also a door that you can slide open over the burner box to grill/sear steaks, burgers, etc. The Traeger can not do that to my understanding.

With the door slid closed, these grills act like a convection oven but with smoke as well. Cooking this way your roasts, chicken, pork turn out nice and juicy every time if you don't grossly overcook them.

Probably can't go wrong with either. Just pick which features you like and go with it. Green mountain grills were also one that came highly recommended when I was researching these grills before I bought.

Comment

We have a Weber Grill and a Traeger bbq
        Never use the grill anymore, no flare ups on traeger and works great

Comment

And yes, propane grills are quite a bit faster than a pellet grill. Takes grill roughly 5-10 minutes to warm up, depending how high of temperature you want.

That said, I can cook a steak in about 5 minutes once the grill is warmed up. The bad thing is you can only cook 1-2 steaks at a time over the burner box when the slide is open. I leave the other steaks away from the burner box to "pre warm" if I am doing more that a couple.

Comment

Replace the burners for 30 or 40 bucks?

Comment

Finally got to chill and BBQ
              On natural gas here ....

But I am sure ole chuck will say that’s horrible and I should have solar panels running my BBQ cause I am killing a seal in the Arctic circle somewhere... 🙄

Comment

We had a Traeger for years and sold it recently because it couldn't get up to temperature in cooler weather. They might have been the first pellet grill but they are nowhere near the best pellet type out there now. We have a Green Mountain now and it's an excellent choice. Traeger moved production of their grills offshore to China a few years ago so **** them anyways.

Comment

We have a pellet grill and use it for a few things.

Smoked cheese.

Smoked sausage.

Prime rib. That is the best thing ever. 10 out of 10.

Brisket is ok.

Did a turkey once for American thanksgiving. Started at 1 am and ate at 1 the next day.

We also have a big barbecue that is good for steaks, burgers etc.

Pellet you can do burgers but it’s slow process.

The pellet system we have is Green Mountain Grills with Wifi controls.

Barbecue Is Napoleon Grill

Comment

Like furrowtickler, on Natural Gas here too, can't image going back to dealing with bottles and expired dates. Closest propane retail was 50mins away. Nice heat to cook on.

Comment

After reading reviews on all of them we purchased a Pit Boss 820D last spring, its a mid sized unit from Louisiana Grills lower priced line. Has a large searing area in the centre of the grill and knob style temperature control as a opposed to a digital. I've never thought it is any slower than our ole propane type. Most the time I cook my meat with it set at 300f right over the searing area in the centre. Flareups are virtually non existant and the flavor with slight smoke ring can't be beat.
                      https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pit-boss-820d-series-pellet-grill-1850141p.html
                      Last edited by biglentil; Jul 1, 2019, 09:02.

Comment

Geez, don't you guys know that barbecuing using propane or nat gas and the fumes from smokers causes cancer!

Nothing but a Slum propane barbeque here, cheap tin burners burned out once, replaced them with cast iron ones, replace the lava rock(or what ever) occasionally and good enough for me. Tastes good enough to me. Gotta live with the odd flare up at times, but the process is usually baby sat anyway.

Always two steps behind.

Comment

Pellet grills are slower but a lot more forgiving than a barbecue. I use a temp probe and get my timing down to pull stuff off a couple degrees before desired temp. Meat keeps cooking after you take it off the grill. I’m fussy. I hate over cooked meat but hate undercooked pork and hamburger.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
                            As far as replacing the burners its just so rusty in there it might be a challenge getting the old ones out with out wrecking everything.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                              Thanks for the suggestions guys.
                              As far as replacing the burners its just so rusty in there it might be a challenge getting the old ones out with out wrecking everything.
                              Or getting tetanus

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...