• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some rain and some Skunked.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazz View Post
    I lowered everything to 50% coverage this year because my guarantee was so low. Only been growing canola for the past 7 or 8 yrs and only trying for the 50bu yields the last 3 so my averages are not that high. I think my guarantee at 80% coverage was 28 bu.

I have had a couple crops like this in the last few yrs. Just didn't get the starter rainfall needed. I have always regretted leaving them.
    If your coverage is good enough, then leave it alone and plant something in the fall to hold the dirt.

If reseeding, I would strongly suggest barley. It is short season and might make grain, otherwise sell it in bales. Cattle feed is looking to be worth lots. Durum just seems wrong at this date.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
      Best medicine is a bottle of spiced rum.
      You must try “flora de cana 7 year”

Comment

So I just went and did some more scouting. There are a handlful of established plants per sq m. Some still breaking through the top crust. Some rows better than others, some with nothing visible. Dug down in some of these. Found some blue seedd cracked open and nothing came out, seem aborted. In the dust there are shriveled but not dead seedings. Three very different stages of crop here with 2/3rds of the seeds I found unlikley to get established properly. At 2 inches down is a hard pan with good moisture underneath.

My inclination is this isn't going to make it. I had a similar stand in 2017 on a field when it was so dry and I left that stand and watched all summer trying to fill in the gaps and the canola ran about 24 bu.

Comment

Too many canola crops are wrote off to easily
          Watch it with spring frosts over and over
          Had 1 plant per sq ft one year . Had froze every 4 or 5 days for 2 weeks . Crop ins said they would cover it we left it , supposed to have 2 /sq ft
          We left it and got 50 bpa and earlier than all the reseeded stuff all around us that ave about 40 bpa
          Canola is a hell of a weed if you can keep it clean and you have delivered the groceries and it rains a little
          If it doesn’t reseeding is no solution either

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
            You must try “flora de cana 7 year”
            Never tried that but I’ll take “kraken” anytime 🥃

After the first few you can switch to whatever and I wouldn’t complain either way. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
              If your coverage is good enough, then leave it alone and plant something in the fall to hold the dirt.

If reseeding, I would strongly suggest barley. It is short season and might make grain, otherwise sell it in bales. Cattle feed is looking to be worth lots. Durum just seems wrong at this date.
              I forgot that you had Edge on the field. Barley may not be the best choice.

If the moisture is 2" down, I am not sure how well the canola will catch either. Could you hire a single shoot narrow opener drill (3/4" knife or disc) and seed into the existing crop, hoping to not kill the stand you have, but increase the plant count. With warmer soil and no fertilizer with the seed, it should emerge quickly.

Unfortunately it is a bit of a no winner decision that you have to make.

Comment

Everything is up , the odd hard clay hill or sand dunes. Is kinda thin.
                Just need a rain . The area got 1/2 a tenth to not measurable.
                Grand total since the winter snow melted , around 7/10s.
                Good thing it is not too warm this coming week.
                Last chance a week from now.
                I think it will be over if we get
                Skunked again.

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
                  I forgot that you had Edge on the field. Barley may not be the best choice.

If the moisture is 2" down, I am not sure how well the canola will catch either. Could you hire a single shoot narrow opener drill (3/4" knife or disc) and seed into the existing crop, hoping to not kill the stand you have, but increase the plant count. With warmer soil and no fertilizer with the seed, it should emerge quickly.

Unfortunately it is a bit of a no winner decision that you have to make.
                  I have 1 inch knives I could put on hope to preserve what canola is there. I could clean wheat and canola out with my quick clean I think.

I have tucked durum in the top layer of that lower moisture zone before and done very well. The odds would favor that vs hoping this canola turns into something. it wont with out a rain but durum could germinate and hold on another month in that zone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	reg weather.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	767357
                  Last edited by jazz; Jun 8, 2019, 17:26.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                    It seems the Reddeer corridor and from Weyburn north a bit had a good storm. Some Manitoba but for the most part Skunked.

June 23 rd looks like the day. Yea twice in one lifetime.
                    Are you saying you only saw kinda hard times twice while farming?

Comment

Checked 1988 notes, 1.8" by June 11, double what we have so far in 2019, then heat and wind from HELL virtually KILLED crops. Wheat heading June 21, Combined Aug 8, 16 bu/acre farm average. Canola same 16 bu/acre farm average, Polish varieties on SMF. Oh ya 3.9" rain after harvest started! Total crap write off year, guess some of us will get another to live/farm through.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                        Never tried that but I’ll take “kraken” anytime 🥃

After the first few you can switch to whatever and I wouldn’t complain either way. 😉
                        I tried kraken , good , but not as good imho
                        Give it a whirl. Can get anywhere
                        You will thank me
                        Everyone I have got to try it is hooked
                        Nicaragua , has won all kind of rewards

Comment

Sorry Jazz , we drifted off here

Comment

Heavy rain this evening. Good to go.

Comment

What kind is that case I don’t care for kracken that much.

Comment

Flora de cana 7 year is the best
                                Found it while we were beaching it in central america years ago
                                Now its everywhere
                                Try it , you will thank me
                                There is 4 , 5 ,7 , 12,25 &50 year
                                7 year is the best.
                                I have tried them all lol
                                Matter of fact , into it now
                                The hurricane has finally stopped here
                                I guess it wanted to make sure it took that 3 tenths back
                                Chance of frost here tommorow night. Good time to get that viper onto the peas lol
                                Last edited by Guest; Jun 8, 2019, 22:58.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...