• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns Guns Guns Repeat Repeat Repeat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come for mine Chuckleberry and they will be lost.

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
      Chuck, have you got any statistics on violence by legal owners of guns, long guns vs handguns. And also re domestic violence with handguns vs other methods.
      I don't have any statistics on long guns vs hand gun violence, but I suspect long guns are used in domestic violence. Guns of any type should not be in the hands of those with a history of criminal domestic violence. In the heat of the moment guns are likely to be more deadly than most other methods.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
        Come for mine Chuckleberry and they will be lost.
        If you have hand guns what purpose do you have them for?

Comment

Australia has very strict gun laws and very strict laws to buy ammunition.

Legit users farmers hunters and sports shooters can still enjoy them for the purpose they intended them for.

No semi autos.

Everyone got on with life after initial reaction cant think 20 yrs ago.

Last friday police shot and killed a guy armed with a knife after he killed one guy threatened and injured others.

Now if he had easy access to firearms could have been ugly.

Its really a non issue and we dont have the "right to bear arms" psyche.

And tongue in cheek australia was a land built by convicts and criminality originally, hasnt continued.

Comment

Well Chuck, if you don’t have any stats re legally owned firearms vs not legal then you’re painting everyone with the same brush and no logic. Instances of domestic violence are suspect because the perp will find a way with or without a firearm.
            I think legally owned and registered enables law enforcement to apprehend firearm perpetrators and is enough deterrent.
            Multiple shootings by deranged psychopaths are rarely using registered weapons and these people seem to act where they are safe and no one is there to shoot back until police arrive. You can have your head cut off riding a bus, although Greyhound may have solved that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
              If you have hand guns what purpose do you have them for?
              This conservation officer's pistol likely saved his life just last week, bear attack.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4893383
              Last edited by biglentil; Nov 10, 2018, 18:28.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post

Legit users farmers hunters and sports shooters can still enjoy them for the purpose they intended them for.

No semi autos.

Last friday police shot and killed a guy armed with a knife after he killed one guy threatened and injured others.

And tongue in cheek australia was a land built by convicts and criminality originally, hasnt continued.
                Sounds like you have a sensible system in Australia.

Comment

I remember when the shooting games became popular on computers, the arguments that killing and attacks would become normallized, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    Sounds like you have a sensible system in Australia.
                    Last mass shooting i think was about 1995 or 96 think 30 plus shot and probably 30 more injured.

Had semi auto assalt weapons a few handguns was a loner surfer type guy.

PM announced changes ,a conservative pm as well equivalent to republican a gun buy back, liscenses for weapons ,mental health checks for those that were not farmers hunters or sporting shooters, every few years have another gun amnesty. All guns bolt action i think 5 shots only, pump action and semi autos banned.

Shotguns single or double barrel only

Not sure about pistols.

All shootings now seem to be crims shooting crims or murder suicides.

But hey im no expert on topic and what works here may not work everywere.

Comment

In order to obtain a handgun you have to be a member of a shooting range so target shooting is the main use of handguns for most legitimate handgun owners. A few may depending where they live or work will be able to obtain an authorization to carry for protection from dangerous wild animals or dispatch of trapped animals.
                      The ATC are not given out to just anyone! in-depth background checks ,proof of proficiency,defined area of carry ,a lengthy questionnaire ,frequent renewals and renewal fees$$.

Comment

It is not video games . England
                        Japan , Australia all have video games too.
                        Without the killings

Comment

Ok, I'll bite. Video games may not be the sole cause but I would bet they are a contributing factor for the reason I stated.

Compared to the US, England(UK) has 20%, Japan has nearly 40 % and Austrailia only has 7.4% of the US's population. So now we are into an odds thing. Add to that we are bombarded with our neighbor's news. On a per capita basis the others "may" have the same stats and do we hear about all of them?

In my opinion, when you seed potatoes... you grow potatoes.
                          Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 11, 2018, 08:23.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post

No semi autos.

Great post Mallee.

Australia sets a good example for what can be done that still leaves legitimate users like farmers and hunters with the tools they need.

Obviously Canada has some differences. The biggest difference is proximity to the US and the influence of US politics and culture. The influence of the NRA has trickled north with pro gun groups and individuals in Canada adopting some similar arguments and some of the NRA rhetoric.

It is an issue Conservative politicians like to use as a wedge issue to increase party funding and activate their base against Liberal governments in power.

Retail giants like Cabellas with massive promotion and marketing programs make firearms more available and increase sales.

But the number of hunters is dropping as the new generations are more focused on video games and their phones.

Canada like Australia has a very urban and suburban culture. For the few of us who live in rural Canada guns are a bigger part of the culture.

It still amazes me when I drive down the rural roads and see road signs shot up. Who are the idiots that think they can use public property for target practice? I have even seen bullet holes in some of my out of my yard grain bins. Obviously the responsible use of firearms is a stretch for some people.

Comment

When you have more guns you have more gun incidents some fatal.

Comment

Callebos was mentioned and i know its off topic kind of, but cracked my wife up when she saw camoflague lingerie.

On all the ranches i stayed at never really saw a small arsenal of weapons basically just whats needed a couple of centre fires and a shotgun or two.

And PS firearms in oz have to be locked in a approved gun safe and ammuntion in another approved gun safe in a different room.

We have only one weapon here a .410 snake gun.

But my sons keen to get his liscence and a centrefire for shooting foxes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...