• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A chance to act on seed saving/end point royalties etc

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
    This is ****ed. If your of age yoy have several years left before the finish line you have to ask yourself where is this industry headed? If your close to the finish line you have ask if you want all your retirement eggs in 1 basket. We got govt hunting for taxes, fingers in our bank accounts, suppliers that are trying to get a bigger cut off the host. Bring the reset with crash and burn. It's time to reassess the business model and make changes. When's bigger no longer better? NOW!
    What is ****ed is those that defend the new policy....in the name of success...

Comment

I do value your input vvalk. The other side of factual reality, but

So if we throw everything we have into plant breeding, varieties, strong local breeding/seed growing industry isn’t the “Canadian Seed Trade Ass.” Going to take them, and promote them in competing exporter nations to compete against us anyways?

Really the breeders think they can police this and collect in Russia, or other Nations competing with canada growing the same crops/varieties? How is this different than a carbon tax?

Comment

The Ag Industry sees the Primary Producer as a ****en money tree, careful not to pluck off
        all it's leaves and kill it.

Just once I'd like to see them tighten their belts, hordes of grad students getting paid to do useless shit, excessive advertising, bloated bureaucracies run like government...always increasing the "tax" on farmers. Wining and dining big retailers where a farmer can't even pay with a credit card to earn 1-2% points in CC purchases(unless you want to pay more for the product for that "luxury").

And then that feel good "Ag more than ever" campaign...where a whole Industry is built on the risk taken and real work done by so few. Like I said before, I'm getting tired of being the host to the parasite party.

Comment

Is it possible there is now a terminator gene that the breeders will insert to actively police the variety, breeding royalty system proposed?

That ata still the pot

Comment

I was thinking about that too Rareearth.

Comment

That's what the scientists/breeders are paid for....

Comment

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
                This is ****ed. If your of age yoy have several years left before the finish line you have to ask yourself where is this industry headed? If your close to the finish line you have ask if you want all your retirement eggs in 1 basket. We got govt hunting for taxes, fingers in our bank accounts, suppliers that are trying to get a bigger cut off the host. Bring the reset with crash and burn. It's time to reassess the business model and make changes. When's bigger no longer better? NOW!
                ......think Nutrien. Is it a coincidence we are paying nearly 25% more for fert this fall? Is there really any meaningful competition? Or should I use the other "C" word, COLLUSION?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  ......think Nutrien. Is it a coincidence we are paying nearly 25% more for fert this fall? Is there really any meaningful competition? Or should I use the other "C" word, COLLUSION?
                  Thank Brad Wall for that ....how he saved potash from BHP only to allow the sale for less....

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                    The Ag Industry sees the Primary Producer as a ****en money tree, careful not to pluck off
                    all it's leaves and kill it.

Just once I'd like to see them tighten their belts, hordes of grad students getting paid to do useless shit, excessive advertising, bloated bureaucracies run like government...always increasing the "tax" on farmers. Wining and dining big retailers where a farmer can't even pay with a credit card to earn 1-2% points in CC purchases(unless you want to pay more for the product for that "luxury").

And then that feel good "Ag more than ever" campaign...where a whole Industry is built on the risk taken and real work done by so few. Like I said before, I'm getting tired of being the host to the parasite party.
                    Well said and I’m fairly certain 95% of producers would be in agreement with you. The other 5% likely have ties to the seed industry or investments in a retail outlet.

Plant Breeder Rights and charging extra seed “fees” are a category where the opposition will be extremely strong. If a group doesn’t recognize this they clearly aren’t representing the best interests of producers.

The same logic lies with a carbon tax.....if a group doesn’t recognize this they clearly aren’t representing the best interests of producers.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                      Well said and I’m fairly certain 95% of producers would be in agreement with you. The other 5% likely have ties to the seed industry or investments in a retail outlet.

Plant Breeder Rights and charging extra seed “fees” are a category where the opposition will be extremely strong. If a group doesn’t recognize this they clearly aren’t representing the best interests of producers.

The same logic lies with a carbon tax.....if a group doesn’t recognize this they clearly aren’t representing the best interests of producers.

And therein lies the rise of populism .....when the peasants can't take it anymore. ...something the elite/successful farmer directors that use their own money for meetings..cough....don't understand after they lose touch with guys that are trying to make a living without all this bullshit. ...

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                        I think legally seed co's have a problem. The case would be, as example, I buy Brandon seed and PBR allows levies at first purchase. I clean progeny and breeder wants fees now. That Brandon progeny is now a generation removed. Is it even pure? Has there been cross contamination? Can anyone guarantee it's genetically pure Brandon? Will it even perform? Once it goes in our dirt it's our property. Period.

Also on the legal side, seed is already very expensive. If this comes to pass, varieties with high cost, end point, trailing contracts etc must assume performance guarantees. Producer files non performance claim when variety lacking. Seed companies must as well back off. Liability would be HUGE. Most farms would have a case every year.
                        just as liable as they are for volunteer roundup ready canola in my fields that have never been seeded to roundup ready canola. Their basic response to you is to shove it up your ass.

Comment

Genetic Use Restriction Technology (GURTS), aka poorly named terminator, would be great with the elimination of volunteers for crops like canola where seed is bought every year anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
                            Genetic Use Restriction Technology (GURTS), aka poorly named terminator, would be great with the elimination of volunteers for crops like canola where seed is bought every year anyway.
                            Did you ever wonder what would happen if all on farm and commercial stocks had the terminator gene, and there was a big problem with the production of pedigree seed stock that year? The entire planet relying on 4 or 5 companies to produce enough seed each year.

Comment

[QUOTE=vvalk;393661]Yes that is my argument. You have never gone to a seed grower and picked up a 3 ton of seed. Grow it on 40 or 80 acres to clean seed for the 1500 or 2000 acres and then clean that seed for the next 3-5 years. You expect companies to invest in research with a model like that. No one is forcing you to buy or pay end point rolaties on any seed. Your free to use existing varieties.
                              I ****en well have at $17/bu
                              Had to because they deregistered unity , which was working very well on our farm ?
                              How about the guys that bought a new variety and it was deregistered before they could grow it ? (Cant remember the name but some on here bought it and couldnt even grow it )
                              Free to use existing varieties , thats a joke? I want to grow unity ????
                              And the titanium had better protien than the unity , but was a dud for fuz ? So then we shelled out the big money for hughes , yielded lower than the titanium or the unity ?
                              What about all the public, govt and check off money these breeders get ??

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                                Did you ever wonder what would happen if all on farm and commercial stocks had the terminator gene, and there was a big problem with the production of pedigree seed stock that year? The entire planet relying on 4 or 5 companies to produce enough seed each year.
                                Well it would certainly help with the ridiculous overproduction of grains problem.

All the whining about no money is because we grow too much - and spend every waking second trying to grow a few more every year compounding the problem thinking if only you could get that new variety that puts out a few more bushels you'll be rich. So put on more fert, more fungicide, more insecticides. You're falling behind......

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...