• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot deals alberta cold in sask.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
    Provincial politicians like to take credit for the good times. But the reality is the province has no control over interest rates, commodity prices or the weather. Partisans like to forget this in their rewrites of history.

The Grant Devine 80s were a disaster for agriculture. High interest rates, low grain prices and drought pushed many farmers into bankruptcy. Oil was worth bugger all and the province was migrating west.

Grain farmers received some subsidy payments under the Western Grain Stabilization program during Trudeau, Turner and Mulroney governments.

Devine loaned every farmer $25 per acre. I put the loan in the bank and collected 11% interest and paid it all back. This went to every farm whether they needed it or not.
    Brilliant move if your an opportunistic capitalist ..... what's the point of the comment?

Comment

Provincial politicians like to take credit for the good times. But the reality is the province has no control over interest rates, commodity prices or the weather. Partisans like to forget this in their rewrites of history.

The Grant Devine 80s were a disaster for agriculture. High interest rates, low grain prices and drought pushed many farmers into bankruptcy. Oil was worth bugger all and the province was migrating west.

Grain farmers received some subsidy payments under the Western Grain Stabilization program during Trudeau, Turner and Mulroney governments.

Devine loaned every farmer $25 per acre. I put the loan in the bank and collected 11% interest and paid it all back. This went to every farm whether they needed it or not.
      Devine had control of interest , he dropped ours from 16 to 8%
      better the 25$ would of went to Quebec transfer payments , I guess ? bombardier maybe , what a ****ing joke
      we sure as **** didn't put the $25 /ac in the bank and collect interest , you see , we had no help , we did it off the farm and with off farm income , all by ourselves , there wasn't many REAL FARMERS, that didn't need the 25$/ac
      that 25$ helped us survive , and we have built a fine farm out of **** all

Comment

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
        Brilliant move if your an opportunistic capitalist ..... what's the point of the comment?
        He’s saying provincial govts don’t influence their economy. Like a nazi saying Jews didn’t die at their hands.

Comment

Chucks comment just explained why QE didnt work and why a carbon tax wouldn't either. If "green companies" see a better return in receiving a govt handout and reinvesting in a savings account pays better return then in their own industry why dump a handout where the return is less? Economics 101 and yes Chuck you're not an idiot. You saw a better return in interest rates then the industry you made a living at
          Last edited by macdon02; Oct 9, 2018, 18:53.

Comment

Chuck Chuck is right about one thing. The Eighty's were a disaster for farmers and for me starting in the early Eighty's Grant Divine was the one and only guy that ever helped a young farmer get going!

I doubt I would have made it without him and will always be indebted to him. Thanks Grant!!!

I sure didn't have the money to put the $25.00 in the bank and collect interest. I needed it to keep my farm going.

Comment

$25/acre. What would that be today adjusted for inflation?

Ghetto dirt was in the 350-400 dollar/acre range then. I started farming at that time too and if I remember correctly I capitalized that payment into my previous land purchase.

Based on the value of land at the time:

25/400=6.25%

Ghetto dirt today(rounded up):

X/2000=6.25%

X= $160/ac....can't see an ad hoc coming.

Use your own numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                Chuck Chuck is right about one thing. The Eighty's were a disaster for farmers and for me starting in the early Eighty's Grant Divine was the one and only guy that ever helped a young farmer get going!

I doubt I would have made it without him and will always be indebted to him. Thanks Grant!!!

I sure didn't have the money to put the $25.00 in the bank and collect interest. I needed it to keep my farm going.
                The interest free $25 per acre was a bit of help but the western Grain Stabilization payouts were much more significant help and didn't have to be repaid. You better thank Mulroney and Turner as well.

Grant Devine also provided money for renovations to homes to get people working. I don't remember whether it was a grant or a loan. I didn't use it. But a lot of homeowners with some extra cash did and it left renters out of the gravy train.

Land priced peaked in 1981 after a big run up during the 70s. By the time the 80s were done land was cheap again and it was a good time to buy.

Comment

The interest free $25 per acre was a bit of help but the western Grain Stabilization payouts were much more significant help and didn't have to be repaid. You better thank Mulroney and Turner as well.

Grant Devine also provided money for renovations to homes to get people working. I don't remember whether it was a grant or a loan. I didn't use it. But a lot of homeowners with some extra cash did and it left renters out of the gravy train.

Land priced peaked in 1981 after a big run up during the 70s. By the time the 80s were done land was cheap again and it was a good time to buy.
                  And don't forget the guys that refinanced their big land purchases for nickels on the dollar....they are once again the **** of the walk and going to pull the same bullshit dance again....just a new generation...

Comment

The interest rebate was a big help for me. Between a job in Alberta in the winter and that interest rebate cheque that I received in the mail I was just barley able to keep my land loans up.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      And don't forget the guys that refinanced their big land purchases for nickels on the dollar....they are once again the **** of the walk and going to pull the same bullshit dance again....just a new generation...
                      Yes Bucket I remember those guys that bid land really high to get it then never make payment. Rent it back from FCC for cheap rents then buy it back dirt cheap 10 years later.

Really important people now that built there farms all by them selves!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...