• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a good feeling. With 60% of my income ,soaking wet and a crappy forecast. Lucky that it is all swathed canola.
    Lucky until it spends a winter out.
    All those hard decisions. At what moisture do you start.
    Env. Canada says a nice fall coming . Nice of them.
    But we know what that is worth.

Comment

Not a lot done around here, some guys haven't started, I'd guess 20% of area done. Haven't actually had any amount of rain Just drizzle and flurries for 2 weeks. Had 2 hours of sun yesterday only Sun in 2 weeks. The neighbors solar powered entry gate ran out of juice, had to laugh at that.

Worst part of the forecast is that every day they add one more day of this. Hopefully the full moon straightens it out, likely will.

Don't know how you guys grind through tough grain, must be differences in environmental conditions. A point or two is ok but 18 to 20% wheat most times would be hard to tell if the combine was moving and I'd be throwing as much over as in the tank. Maybe because we grow lots of straw and have higher humidity

Comment

STUCK weather, just like the HOT/DRY 2 months. Check satellite, sunny starts at US border, like WTF is with picking on Canada? Appears like shit is coming S from the N pole? Thanks Siberia. In 2009 after a month or more of this crap, almost all canola was still in swath. No snow that I remember here. Desperate neighbors combined some canola over 20%, dried twice and some still spoiled! Others took at 15% and saved their farm. By Nov 17 we got the wheat done at 17%, white as snow of course. Dried for neighbors till too much frost on drier fan in Dec. Just wonderful, could be a repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
          STUCK weather, just like the HOT/DRY 2 months. Check satellite, sunny starts at US border, like WTF is with picking on Canada? Appears like shit is coming S from the N pole? Thanks Siberia. In 2009 after a month or more of this crap, almost all canola was still in swath. No snow that I remember here. Desperate neighbors combined some canola over 20%, dried twice and some still spoiled! Others took at 15% and saved their farm. By Nov 17 we got the wheat done at 17%, white as snow of course. Dried for neighbors till too much frost on drier fan in Dec. Just wonderful, could be a repeat.
          2009 almost nothing was done until nov. yes there had been snow on the swaths, like four inches. Amazingly it melted off, and combining canola at 14 and less. 2004, same thing. Combined oats at 19 mt. On Remembrance Day.

Lots can happen, but these weather ruts are crazy. 2002, combined wheat in October with snow on the ground. Thankfully it was standing, and thankfully the snow did not flatten it.

Combined canola with snow on the swaths too. Just has to be cold, and the pull type I had was perfect, no engine heat...

Comment

What is this "sun" that some of you talk of? Haven't seen it in it seems like months... First the smoke blocked it out for days on end, now perpetual cloud has had it shrowded nearly every day since the smoke buggered off. Wheat that has been in for 120 days still isnt ready to go. There were warm days that dried the straw out good enough to ram through a combine, but no sun to physically cure things out.

Short range env canada forecast has a chance of showers or at the very least "cloudy" as the forecast for the next 7 days. Accuweather gives a bleak assessment for october. It has sept 30 to oct 4 as sunny, then off and on showers and flurries till the 23rd.

Comment

0% done here and a few neighbors were chewing through tough peas till the snow came a week ago. Still got snow in spots and more on the way with lots of flattened crops now. Hopefully next month is better otherwise it’s looking like 2016 which was a disaster. Crop insurance has really taken the stress away for me at least.

The sun has been poking through the clouds today and burns the eyes after a week of dreariness. Working cows is planned tomorrow which will be lots of fun in the mud.

The dryer will be drug out and set up whenever the yard dries up a little. My buddy bought a bigger used combine as a second machine but is now thinking he should have upgraded the dryer instead. Our 3630 vertec is cheap and little but runs perfect. Just have to get something in the wet bin first............

Comment

And like clockwork another afternoon shower is rolling through...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...