• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here you go....

So all the good managers have good luck and all the bad managers have bad luck? What happens if a bad manager has good luck and a good manager has bad luck?

Hopefully each has the brains to manage their way through what ever luck they have?

Enough of a riddle.

But as I said...don't confuse management with luck. Management is in your control, luck isn't.

One definition of "luck";

"success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions."

So if you don't believe in luck you must not believe in "random chance" either.

May I suggest you buy the next 60 million $ winning Lotto Max ticket with your intellgence and management skills.

There...I just kicked the hornets nest! Sting away!

Comment

Luck is when hard work meets oppurtunity.

Comment

I too agree it is not all about luck .
        Don’t really believe in that. Does it play a part .. yup , but sorry a small part in anything in life .
        To me luck is having a golf course to sell to help the farming operations, or a machinery dealership, any other large sum of money injection of cash into a farming operation. Smart guys can make that work enormously .... most of us don’t get that advantage... that’s the luck of the draw for a few ..... we all must deal with weather to try to make ends meet .

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

So if you don't believe in luck you must not believe in "random chance" either.

!
          I believe in probabilities.

Actually, I don't believe in anything. That is another word that doesn't have much use( as I gave up on trying to explain to Chuck who thinks it has something to do with science...), same with Fate, Faith, Destiny, Wish, Fortunate, plus any and all derivatives of Luck.

Spend some time with people who play the victim card, and see how often these type of words are spoken.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
            How would you know? you clearly haven't the brains.
            ANd this is why i call this fool a parasite.

Comment

Yes, you need to be on top of your game every day and know your costs. Management is very important, what I'm trying to say on the luck front is mother nature holds the cards if a storm hits your farm and misses a mile away is it management or luck that you have 55 and your neighbour has 40.

Weather in Canada is the defining factor.

In SA if you screw up which is managed on your part you wait and reseed another crop. Here you get no second chances in a growing season. If hail hits your wiped out for the year.

Management is having hail insurance and crop insurance and selling the plant mass as cattle feed.

Its all tied together but the weather is the main factor that helps the farm.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                ANd this is why i call this fool a parasite.
                Turn it into a mutualistic parasitic relationship that benefits both of you.

Comment

I believe in making your own luck. But I do believe In dumb luck. Who you were born to, inherittances, and grandpas ten paid for quarters have contributed to a lot of farming successes out there. Hate to say it, but around me, many or most all, have had dumb luck.

Inheriting seven quarters? Good management? Having daddy co-sign? Good management? Inheriting land from a friend of grandpas? Good management? Marrying a woman whose grandpa dies and leaves her a few million? Good management? 😂

Y’all can’t say there is not a huge degree of luck that has helped most get ahead?

The key is not to begrudge the blessed folks, and recognize we did not all start at the same square, with the same token. I look at every farm around me, and yes there are good managers. But every single one, including mine, has had varying degrees of luck, or good fortune. Some more than others. Some less.

Probably easier for those who struggle, to actually see it and notice it.

Heading out to make some of my own!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                    I believe in making your own luck. But I do believe In dumb luck. Who you were born to, inherittances, and grandpas ten paid for quarters have contributed to a lot of farming successes out there. Hate to say it, but around me, many or most all, have had dumb luck.

Inheriting seven quarters? Good management? Having daddy co-sign? Good management? Inheriting land from a friend of grandpas? Good management? Marrying a woman whose grandpa dies and leaves her a few million? Good management? 😂

Y’all can’t say there is not a huge degree of luck that has helped most get ahead?

The key is not to begrudge the blessed folks, and recognize we did not all start at the same square, with the same token. I look at every farm around me, and yes there are good managers. But every single one, including mine, has had varying degrees of luck, or good fortune. Some more than others. Some less.

Thats about doing your own due diligence as far as who you marry...

Marry for money spend the rest of your life looking for love....tm....dumb****led farmer.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      Thats about doing your own due diligence as far as who you marry...

Marry for money spend the rest of your life looking for love....tm....dumb****led farmer.
                      😝 😂 😆

Comment

Some marryfor love and money, but the luckiest ones marry for true love and together make their money, that’s the most fun.

Comment

Different perspective on " luck".

Not hard to see where most fellow Agriviller's line up.

Except maybe SF3. Depends on the weather!

https://aeon.co/essays/why-luck-might-be-subjective-and-not-part-of-the-world

Be great if GF made that an active link.

Comment

https://aeon.co/essays/why-luck-might-be-subjective-and-not-part-of-the-world https://aeon.co/essays/why-luck-might-be-subjective-and-not-part-of-the-world

Just click on the little picture of an earth, a box will pop up, paste your link in that box.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post

Honestly, I dont see luck as having a huge influence in who are the winners and who are the losers over the long term in my area. You might be surprised sheepwheat how fast some pissed away the farm back in the eighties. Was that bad luck or bad management? Mostly bad management as I remember it and those that survived are still farming today if they so desired. The farmers in my area almost without exception have found a way to survive and thrive through a lot of shit. Weather,increasing costs, poor rail service, increasing land and rental costs, etc. Some have paid a heavy price with their personal life as the farm came first but the farm survived. We have some that didnt start with much and now have quite an operation through good farming and extremely hard work. We have some that yes stepped into an existing farm operation but have grown that opportunity and survived. Luck had little to do with any of it. These farm managers are tough buggers and many of the systemic problems we all face would be solved if they were in charge.

Comment

Its a combination of both but yes management lets you see whats coming or has occurred and how do you deal with it and move on.

I call it luck that back in the early 80s I was drinking beer in Saskatoon and didn't listen to the real estate guy that one boxing day. " that they weren't making any more land and now is the time to buy" $850,000.00 was the price of 5 Dad and I would have put up land and the RBC was borrowing me the money. I would have lost it in the next five years.

I own three of the five today and paid a lot less.

Moral of the story is what I call luck that I had classes and management that we realized it doesn't make sense.

Now does history repeat, you bet yesterday a real estate agent was at our place and wow the F#$K said the same thing I heard back in the 80s they aren't making any more and now is the time to SELL.

No, I am not selling the farm, maybe doing the liquidation of an asset 50 km away.

Is it luck finding a company to pay to much or management knowing we have topped as an industry and its time to make some coin.

I know others who post on here seeing the same thing.

Management or Luck?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...