• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt et al who want to read a boring post- It was a marathon for these ol birds that needed to use up a free flight before Sept that very generous son gave them. Dublin was first on the list, with rented car we hunted down the Blarney Stone in Blarney Castle, visited Trinity College started in 1400’s and Book of Kell written back then also. A road tour through farming community, we experienced open grazing with sheep wandering all over the roads and villages (don’t know if that’s normal mutton raising procedure, hey Mallee)?💪 We loved the food in Dublin and Guinness in the Irish pubs and the hip on-hop off bus that took us all over and we stopped to tour Guiness Storehouse. Two days of that, boarded Air Lingus to London. That was a disaster. We booked a hotel online next to Hyde Park. Well, you never (I will bet you) stayed in such a s-hole in your life. We feared for our lives but it had air conditioning just a-blasting and it was 38-39 degrees out. We decided to stick out two nights there to take in the changing of the guard, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and London Eye. 3 hour line-ups in the heat just about did us in and we chucked our tickets to the London Eye. We then checked into a nice resort where we crashed for 2 days, took in a dry, unkept Kew Gardens and London Water and Steam Museum. A booked steam power demo never happened at the museum cause the young guys didn’t know what to do. But what was interesting was the scale of equipment bringing water to London 1400-1820 ish. Did you know that a Trunk Line was a hollowed-out 1 foot diameter log, with hand-carved slip joints at both ends to fit into the next one to form an underground pipe. A Branch Line was just a smaller branch attached to the trunk line. Those pipes have been underground since the mid 1700’s and are still found intact when dug up. We booked our flight to Paris on Vueling Airlines. People in Europe fly around very cheaply especially if they book ahead a month or so. Paris, a rented car, farm touring both directions down to Monte Carlo in Monaco. Carumba! The roads and traffic at the height of tourist season and we just about abandonded the car and flew out. You never saw anything as insane as Monaco streets, cars, gorgeous cars and extravagance in your life. Our hotel was supposedly pre-booked on Hotwire - guess what, they booked it in Maryland USA. That insanity carried on to Paris where we drove around in bumper to bumper traffic at 4-7 o’clock to find our hotel. Seems our navigation en auto was not updated enough for the new areas around Charles de Gaulle Airport.
    This morning we paid a guy to lead to the Car Return and good thing we did because the signs don’t say anything about car return. We made it and are waiting to board to Toronto as I speak. Like I said, Yuk she my! - this will probably be our last marathon except our friends asked us if we would go with them back here in October. Thank You son and ,” Thank you Jesus” cause we never thought we’d make it. Now we know that darn farm never killed us yet.

Comment

If you thought Chucky’s cut and pastes were long?

Comment

What an experience with never a dull moment!

Makes driving these dusty back roads sound more appealing than ever - not sure I would have survived those streets...

You're not that far away when you land in Toronto, 2 hrs...

Comment

I liked rural France sum when I was over there.

Nice report keep describing the farming it’s cool.

Have a third cousin on my grandfathers original farm in Germany. We send photos and text back and forth it’s really interesting.

No rain last night cooler today and then big heat next week.

One thing I noticed again going home tonight (crop tour out side foam lake) oats is taking it hard. White fields all over the place.

Oh I didn’t post a Trudeau pick at the beginning found this. Click image for larger version

Name:	50D96DE8-E30C-4429-9CE9-3D20D287769A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	766626

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            If you thought Chucky’s cut and pastes were long?
            very interesting sumdum, travelling is my passion . going to do that run someday when farming is not as intense, lol. sounds like quite a trip ! agrologist said peas are ready and wheat will be ready for the roundup on wed, next week , unheard of that early for this country . so I guess we gotta get at er

Comment

Time to get our act together. There’s fish to fry, maybe not big ones but we are ready to put this baby under our belts. High and dry and all number one by Sept. long weekend. We have a few projects planned for fall as one can always dream of a long wet fall and late freeze-up. 👍

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                Anyone from the Vegreville area ??

Seen this picture yesterday, but not 100% sure it was Vegreville.
                I am in the Veg area and did not see anything like that. Just a few showers around here but nothing significant.

Comment

Love the report sdg

Two types of people take vacation tourists and travellers you like me are in the last catergory.

Fly in at point a fly out of point a or b 6 or so weeks later and whatever happens in between does, never done a tour thing ever other than half day ones.

Things that go wrong are half the fun

Comment

Like not finding our yard. Took a few u turns.

Hahaha

Glad you got a shower.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
                      We enjoy seeing the photos and hearing how things are going.

Farms.com and Agriville.com team

Comment

Got back Monday and did a lot of crop checking this week . For the very limited rainfall we have had and extended dry periods , crops will be ok here. Better yields expected west and less east of here with HWY 4 kinda the dividing line
                        This our Blackbeans field , about 5 in rai in growing season so far . Got 1/2 in Early Friday AM . Could use a bit more rain before the next 10 day dry period ....

Comment

The last picture my thumb is at ground level so should be very easy to harvest .
                          Definitely will need to use Edge next year as part of the herbicide program .
                          Should be at least 7-10 days ahead of the soybeans ... so far that’s what I see anyway.
                          Will be an interesting crop going forward if they make it and produce what I think they can .

Comment

Soybean plot ..

P002 on right , P0007 on left .
                            Same here ...

The rest of the plot has maturities ranging between those two

Comment

As far as HWY 4 swing a division line for moisture , if one looks at the Radisson Radar right now it shows perfectly.. again

Comment

A little active weather tonight. Lightning 7 pm
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	766628

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...