• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whopper of a crop coming FAST

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground was out of subsoil moisture.

Dry year

Spotty showers

Yea it must be new math

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      That big yellow blob in Alberta just happens to include the entire Highway 2 corridor, which just happens to be include most of the most productive ground in the province.
      I'm at Didsbury about 10 miles west of hwy 2. Everyone is pretty cautious commenting on crop conditions after having much better results last year than we all expected. Hopefully the same happens this year but doubt it.

Lots of wheat and some barley has lots of white patches and is only a week past flowering. I'm seeing a large percentage of the flag leaf on wheat gone as in dried up, barley a bit better. Cereals came up pretty good and tillered well but now don't look so hot. Canola thin and short in lots of fields, coming out of flower. Had almost half an inch over the last week but now got a few hot days coming again and all gone. Weather station has it at 193mm since Apr 25. All depends on what you are used to but this area is used to regular abundant moisture and everything is suffering. Pastures are scarce, hay half of normal, trees losing leaves, I think the effects of this dry spell will be felt for a few years here regardless of moisture.

Comment

the prairies will not see a repeat of last year. there was no subsoil reserves this year, plus the wind and heat has robbed the yields. Probably an average crop across the west this year at best.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...