• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry here East of Calgary. Only 3” rain since the snow melted. Biggest rain event 1/2”. Been living on just in time small showers.

No hay crop and pasture is really thin. Grain crops look very good all things considered, but the lack of subsoil moisture and forecasts of a week 30C temperatures should finish us off.

A lot of central and southern Alberta will be in trouble if we get a hot week and no rain.

Hoping for a big hail storm!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
      Other than my flax screw up, crops in this immediate area are ten pretty well. First time in years been able to say this. We are too good at growing crops. Watch for more rail issues. Watch for tanking grain prices.
      I think you will be correct with your predictions for the most part for railways and prices. (March- July 2019 will see the usual pricing opportunities though....if recent history repeats itself.)

Another safe prediction:
      There will also be stretches this upcoming winter with heavy snowfall and cold weather so it won’t be the fault of CN/CP.
      Also no construction will start on the public owned Kinder Morgan pipeline and pipeline protesters will continue to use fossil fuels. 🙈
      Last edited by Oliver88; Jul 5, 2018, 10:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        Other than my flax screw up, crops in this immediate area are ten pretty well. First time in years been able to say this. We are too good at growing crops. Watch for more rail issues. Watch for tanking grain prices.

I am heading west with the family for a two night stay in Drumheller. Will be interesting to get reality check on more than my backyarditis. Will report back on Saturday nite if I get back early enough.
        Did that with 10-12 year olds, fascinated by all the dinosaur stuff, Tyrell especially! Of course tourist trap/ pricey. Probably need more days but enjoy, the kids sure will. Almost another world, moonscape like, pretty.

Comment

Some fields way more rain within a mile

Comment

West Central Ab. Finally caught some showers this week. 1.25" overall, was getting to be desperately needed. Hard to believe it went from so wet to so dry so fast this spring.

Hay crops are all very poor by our standards, 30 above with no rain in all of May wasn't what the hay needed.

Our pastures are doing very well, but we only pasture wet ground

Lots of good canola crops around, We had very high flea beetle pressure again, anything I had without Lumiderm ended up getting sprayed twice, and still lost lots of plants, a few bald areas slowly filling in, and set it back by a lot. I had a constant battle with myself this spring about seeding depth, moisture was barely adequate, coming from too wet, with rain in the forecast that never seemed to materialize, so I changed depth every few acres trying to get it right for the conditions, can see where I changed for the better or for the worse. The rest of the canola looks very good.

Most of our wheat looks very good. Rain came just in time, lots more tillers still coming now, even though it is starting to poke heads out. Have one piece that I'm not sure what went wrong, 2nd year of direct seeded into hay sod, poor emergence, thin, patchy, and the existing plants are not thriving, and of course it is by a main road.

I have hardly any barley this year, too much hail and and too many drowning, the one piece we do have looks very good.

Tried some grazing corn this year, it has been a disaster so far, seed in the mud, crops a dud...

In my travels, I'm surprised to see how many drownouts there are south and east of here. we've never had enough rain to even make a puddle, but lots of low spots completely lost elsewhere, or unseeded even though it gets even drier further east. Pasture looks like fall in many places. Overall, from what I've seen and heard, most of Alberta is too dry, but has got some relief with this past system.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post

These peas were all yellowed and streaky 10 days ago . Roots were 50% infected , still are but plants have recovered dramatically in the past 5 days .
              1.2 in rain on Saturday.
              Sprayed 1.5 lt / ac Plant Fuel and 1/2 lt / ac lignojule on them 10 days ago . About $9 /ac .
              It worked well last year to recover peas from root rot symptoms, so tried it again.
              Time will tell how they handle the heat coming up .
              Root hair activity has picked up a lot over days ago .
              Thanks Furrow interesting...who sells these products? When is the latest stage of crop they can be applied?
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Crestliner View Post
                Thanks Furrow interesting...who sells these products? When is the latest stage of crop they can be applied?
                Thanks.
                Plant fuel is from Great Northern Growers , lignojule is only from a few dealers depending on your location . PM me if you wish

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                  Ah summer

All railroad right-of-ways look like that here too. Wonder what they sprayed?

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                    All railroad right-of-ways look like that here too. Wonder what they sprayed?

looks like a soil sterilant, they did the same here. Looks god awful

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                      This is Wheat growing last night on my Grandfathers original farm in Germany.

It’s dry this year.

Getting dry across much of northern Europe. Bio-digester plants in Germany that turn crops into energy are being closed down to conserve feed for animals. Calls to do the same in Scotland as it suffers a severe drought also - very unusual to get that degree of dryness over there. Might have been in worse shape if the 10 months prior to the drought hadn't been exceptionally wet.

Comment

Finished the Barley tonight Prosario X-R

Comment

SF3....you can still see the wheel hubs on the sprayer....you suffering from drought?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3C67B2DB-B5C4-4CB4-8D22-5A3A6EC84123.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	766523Click image for larger version

ID:	766523Click image for larger version

ID:	766523

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                              looks like a soil sterilant, they did the same here. Looks god awful
                              Been really taking care of rightaways here. Everything sprayed good and dead. Started enough fires last year so finally they’re lessening the risk. Maybe it’s roundup with diesel for the carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                                Nice heads.so how do you count seeds for yield?
                                I'll take a wheat crop like that compared to what we have out here any day of the week!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...