• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hail Insurance

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wiseguy
    Coop hail screwed us in 1985 ! Real miserable ex-school teacher adjuster that was a complete prick !

They never paid and she was a complete write off !

Funny we were just talking about that today !

Coop hail screw off ! Never again !

Same for us with Municipal in 2002. We had two companies that year, the other paid full cover on lentils, Municipal said because we collected in 2001- no pay. (because we got hail 2 years in a row). Never Again! When you are paying double rate on lentils, you should be covered, no questions asked. Sask Ag should have a government regulator with teeth on insurance companies because not all companies are honourable and the shysters should be black-listed by farmers. As for old school teachers, you got it there - crusty, inexperienced in farming, crop diseases.

Comment

I have the lucky task of dealing with Rain and Hail today. Yea the guy and his crew cant get to our place till after 11 becasue the third guy they are training is from Swift.

Yea i have to piss away the next two days walking fields.

Will post out come.

Comment

Anyone have experience with Agdirecthail? This is my second year but no hail last year.

I have a claim on lentils and a little canola. He's coming tomorrow so we'll see. I heard after I bought this year that they may be tough adjusters. Most times I have had my hail come just before harvest. I heard they discount pretty hard when you get hit at early flower. They say the lentils can come back.

If they are too tough to deal with I will defer to harvest.

Comment

The lentils will come back but usually makes very little seed after hail

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
            The lentils will come back but usually makes very little seed after hail
            And full of disease once stem is opened. Lentils and peas are much more susceptible to damage, that’s why the higher premium.

Comment

Sask.
              -get the business cards for those that have them and names of others
              - take pictures, lots of pictures - video, what they show you or the crop stand and damage
              - their boss and title, who do they answer to phone number
              - video or record the conversations on I phone

- sprinkle with sugar
              - stir slowly on low heat till warm 🙂

Comment

Been with Palliser for 2 years now, and have been quite happy. Have had 1 small claim both years and felt they were very fair. Also appreciate the guy that sells me it really follows up making sure I was happy with adjustment instead of disappearing the moment after you purchase.

Comment

For 2019, Canola is 1x basic rate now in Saskatchewan.

Good to see.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    yea , soon as it comes up ! found out that some companies are paying agents up to 12% , for 15 mins work . you would think they would give you at least a jug of rum , for the buisness . on our policy that was close to $3k . and then you get hail and they tell you to fax your form in. I'm going to be doing it online from now on and save myself 6%. municipal has it where you can do it
                    Does Municipal pay in a claim situation?

Comment

We have never had trouble with municipal and we are in a high risk area. (Well actually did have trouble with one old coot from Nipawin area who had gone past his “best before date”.) One phone call to head office and that was fixed , apperently i wasnt the only one . We get lots of hail. Have had a little trouble with coop but they made it right in the end with the help of a professionsal agrologist . They sent us a sizeable check this year for leftover money , that was nice !
                      This year municipal rates have dropped in both our areas. You can use m/c for municipal and additional when you do online .saves you 6% + 2% on m/c
                      And as oliver said canola is at basic rate
                      The whole thing knocked about $4k off our hail ins bill
                      Last edited by Guest; Jun 8, 2019, 11:05.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                        Same for us with Municipal in 2002. We had two companies that year, the other paid full cover on lentils, Municipal said because we collected in 2001- no pay. (because we got hail 2 years in a row). Never Again! When you are paying double rate on lentils, you should be covered, no questions asked. Sask Ag should have a government regulator with teeth on insurance companies because not all companies are honourable and the shysters should be black-listed by farmers. As for old school teachers, you got it there - crusty, inexperienced in farming, crop diseases.
                        I hope you didnt accept that ??
                        We got paid out four years in a row a few years back , one of the years was $350 k , no problems at all.
                        But hear you on the inexperienced retired school teachers

Comment

Sorry posted twice- internet not working so good. 👎
                          Last edited by sumdumguy; Jun 8, 2019, 13:00. Reason: Doubled up

Comment

At that time, 2002, I didn’t know what I do today. Provincial insurance superintendent told me that they had no guidelines for hail insurance and it was basically the company’s discretion, so the courts were the only option. That may have all changed with the internet and access to information. The other company that we insured with paid up. We usually carry quite a bit of insurance cause the rates at 2-3 percent mean you only have to get hailed out once in 30-40 years for it to pay. IMO, since we are 1/2 wheat, half lentils, we can insure twice as much wheat for the same price as lentils due to the double premium on lentils, so double up the coverage on wheat and to hell with the lentils. JMHO and no guarantees that is better for anyone on AV. Since insuring lentils since 1980, I have noticed that the adjusting of lentils has been hit and miss. You might get an adjuster who realizes the real effect of hail on legumes once the stem is opened but probably not. I think the company line is, “they’ll come back”. They should say, “about 1/3 of them come back, limp along, the pods that were hit will down-grade the sample, and if it continues to rain, mold and fungus enter through the stem and you might end up with an X3 Lentil at feed price”. Our peas, nothing but a moldy mess, no recovery.

Case, you only need to receive one of those big cheques and call the balers in to be glad you have hail insurance. In 2001, the wheat and Canary fields were raked and baled because we were hailed out twice in a week. 100% in those two storms left the wheat laying flat same as a steam roller plowing through - twice. Next year again hailed about 70%. Adjuster from Good line company said it is not uncommon to get storms two or three years running in the same area.

Comment

Sounds like your in same kinda hail alley as us . We get er 3 or 4 years in a row then nothing for a couple . We have got enough for 3 or 4 lifetimes of farming !
                              But that was bullshit what they did to you on that deal
                              That old coot i had trouble with from smhi was pretty senile , he was gonna take off drowned out areas ? I asked him how he was gonna pay back premium , then he was right confused ? I told him no where in hail ins. does it specify a plant count , finally chased him out of the field after 6 hrs of walking back and forth in a 1/4 of borage , called his boss and told him he wasnt allowed near our farm again . Far as i know they put him out to pasture . Next guy was really experienced and fair and couldnt believe the f$&kin that old prick tried to lay on me . I have kicked more than one of those chrysters off the farm over the years
                              The problem with coop was a light storm that pocked stems on canary , paid nothing , seed looked good . I even signed off on it . Combining time there was nothing but light , light canary seed , i mean , SFA ! Couldnt even save seed with a case combine , lol
                              Anyways they came out again and wouldnt pay so we hired an agrologist and got some advice from U of S and canary council . Canary can not tolerate any hail because of stem size . Finally about feb of next year they paid full idemnity .
                              Oh and the year of the $350 k 10 1/4’s looked like they had been disced , nothing to bale
                              10 1/4’s had about 50% that we did combine
                              One was untouched
                              Last edited by Guest; Jun 8, 2019, 13:27.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                                Well ....

That was today
                                May think twice about not getting hail ins ???
                                That blue house got hammered last summer. Im pretty sure a person could find that house on old posts if they take the time to look.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...