• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drought or just a normal Canadian Spring?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
    and now flea beetles on mustard... if forecasted rain a week out doesnt show up, this neighborhood is in serious trouble.
    You SW I assume Helmsdale?

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
      You SW I assume Helmsdale?
      basically SW of oyen. straight north of med hat, due east of northern edge of calgary.

we were fortunate to catch a shower on just over half our acres here 10 days to 2 weeks ago. many have gotten nothing since the snow left.

Comment

The rain lottery is dependent on systems building in Idaho and Montana in our neck of the no woods. It was raining in the back yard and when we looked out the front door, we couldn’t see any. Seriously, that’s how spotty it is.

Comment

Farmaholic, I think the storm headed toward you last night. We were cheering anyway!😂

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            Farmaholic, I think the storm headed toward you last night. We were cheering anyway!😂
            Yes SDG, last night we got .33 of an inch. And on May 24th we got 9/10 in a fast rain....but didn't do very well the day before...everything dodged us. So yes, some difference makers. Like you said amounts vary widely in short distances. Feeling greatful!

Comment

Swing and a miss and we continue to seed last 2000

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                Feeling greatful!
                Is that ghetto slang for greatly grateful, lol. Happy to hear you got some anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                  Is that ghetto slang for greatly grateful, lol. Happy to hear you got some anyway!
                  Yes Grassman. I often say I have a sandpaper personality...abrasive, 40 - 60 grit. Rub elbows with me long enough and it can be annoying and uncomfortable.

Relieved with the rain we got....although there still might be some canola establishment problems. Probably didn't spend enough money or put a big enough effort into it(sarcasm).

Looks like I've been spelling it wrong, I didn't think a word that could describe my personality, grating, on people's nerves could also describe being thankful...."grateful". Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm thankful.
                  Last edited by farmaholic; May 27, 2018, 22:02.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                    Farrma with 3/10 and 9/10 you should be throwin a party !

It should all germinate with the rain !
                    Grudgingly seeded deeper than we usually do and packed in pretty tight to prevent drying out. As I mentioned before, ....in about an inch but that probably means anywhere from 3/4 to 1 1/4 and tightly packed. Another problem is the variable conditions across a half section field. Rich moist loose low spots, harder dry high ground and everything in between....makes it hard to seed absolutely uniformly. Even played with(lowered) packing pressure in low spots. Some years you can seed 4.5 lbs/ac and it's too heavy then other years because of bugs, deep seeding or frost losses its a little light. Will assess again this week. Looking at it every day will drive you nuts.

Comment

we have actually had it pretty nice, I am sure we had the most snow in the country.
                      made a later start. the odd spot , with too much traffic. is hard and dry .
                      but for the most part , been just right. catch the showers 1/10 2/10s
                      can not complain.

I know , I have told my eighties story's, before .
                      but

I do not ever want to see the eighties again or 02
                      actually 02 was ok , kind off , got a big crop insurance check, only had to combine
                      400 of 4400 acres, and needed little fert . the next year,
                      time to travel ,

you know what is worse than drought , is drought and frost,
                      eighties had lots of that .
                      20 bushel of feed wheat
                      and the eighties had it all. big winds and tornados .
                      it did rain in 86 , great crop , but if you did not have it in the bin
                      by the first week of September , was all tough feed . it rained for a month in harvest.

but 88 was something else, hot dry , may was lake weather, smf on apr4
                      moisture 1/4 inch down , by may 4th , untouched by cultivator, had turned to ash
                      4-5 inches deep, powder.
                      first significant rain was June 20th.

the last 10 years , have been a dream, even with too much rain.
                      compared to the eighties

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...