• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Futures

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those bins work equaĺly as well for buyers who want to speculate too

Comment

Yep Farmaholic, there were many years when it was cheaper to buy a crop than to grow it.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        he means he will pay for the new bins he bought because he kept it for $12 , instead of listening to all the experts saying what a HUGE canola crop it was ,even without rain on half the prairies . and telling him to sell , sell , sell . too bad we can never know how small the canola crop really was . not for us low life's to know . it just gets a little old when you hear the excuses why it goes up in the spring 9 years outta 10 . and somehow they work on us so much through the winter that we buy into it , unf$&King believable , actually. not directing this at you in any way , just too bad someone wouldn't really try to help farmers with the truth . farmaholic you should start a marketing newsletter . you nailed it two years in a row ,lol
        Sorry for being thick - I thought he was replying to my post.
        I share your frustration with crop size estimates but my experience is that often Stats Can is low. Couple years ago they retroactively added 2 mmt to the mix going back a couple of years! Talk about price destruction!
        Not sure what excuses you are hearing but canola is very seasonal - most years we get the highs in Apr-Jun. If someone tries to tell you earlier in the year that its NOT going to rally, they should have a damn good reason. It's not rocket science. Also, canola follows the soybean complex - even if we have a small crop, if there's a huge soybean crop, canola flat price is not going anywhere on its own (the real action would be in basis and spreads, mostly ignored by most guys.)

You want the truth? Truth is that its pretty damn easy to end up in the top levels of the annual price range. Not by trying to pick the top but rather, by building a proper position over time using the tools that grain traders use - futures, basis spreads and options - the WAY they use them.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	766413
        I'm happy to show anyone how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          caseih, I will be the first to admit I got lucky. But I am learning afew things as I go. Fundamentals(of supply and demand) should play the biggest part of overall price setting, but then you have to ride the futures and options roller coaster(the speculators playground) that gets nauseating after a while.

Another important feature is the difference between "pushing" your product onto the market or having it "pulled" into it. Learn and know the difference. Plan for cash flow to the best of your ability in the ****ed up system we're expected to operate in.

Don't even expect the same prices at competing terminals in your area, who needs what and when? I like to think every terminal within reasonable driving distance is an option for me to sell to. As much as I would like to deliver as close to home as possible, "economically", sometimes it makes sense to drive further.

Is the wheat price coming back again before harvest 2018? I have no clue, but if you have decent Px you might find a premium. Do I think canola has a wee bit of upside? Yup. $12/bu came earlier than last year. The longer into the marketing year....the stronger the hands that are holding it.....but be careful.....greed has taught me a few lessons already but I am a slow learner.....hold out for a nickel and take 50 cents less.

But why is "x" dollars everyone's magic number instead of a nickel higher than that nice round target number? Put a target in for a nickel under that nice round figure? Why should I? So mine "triggers" before AND BELOW everyone else's? Ya right, nice "buyer's" advice....grrrr

A few different circumstances at play here for us as well.....

Good luck in 2018 everyone, work safe and take care.

A lot here to respond to - would love a full blown discussion but will focus on the idea of using targets. I understand why you might like them, I know why grain buyers LOVE them, but they are toxic to the market.
          They may work well for you but keep in mind, you - and everyone else using targets - are giving the buyer a whole shit-load of market information and getting little for it except convenience. Its like you've sold them an out of the money call option but getting ZERO premium for it. I can think of better ways.

Comment

Originally posted by jdepape View Post
            A lot here to respond to - would love a full blown discussion but will focus on the idea of using targets. I understand why you might like them, I know why grain buyers LOVE them, but they are toxic to the market.
            They may work well for you but keep in mind, you - and everyone else using targets - are giving the buyer a whole shit-load of market information and getting little for it except convenience. Its like you've sold them an out of the money call option but getting ZERO premium for it. I can think of better ways.
            Well, so far his target ($12) is outdoing your marketing program for the year. Not being critical. That's what makes a market.

Question: Right now we are working with a 21,300,000 tonne production number for canola in 2017. In your opinion could the whole crop have been marketing using your program and attained the results you have thus far? My thought - I doubt it

Comment

John, I hate the things for the very reason you stated.

I have only started to use them, " strategically", in the last couple of years. Oh yea, and sparingly! Limiting my "offer" by time and putting them on when the market is in my pricing range.

And I think those contracts act more like a ceiling than a floor!
              Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 24, 2018, 07:26.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                Well, so far his target ($12) is outdoing your marketing program for the year. Not being critical. That's what makes a market.

Question: Right now we are working with a 21,300,000 tonne production number for canola in 2017. In your opinion could the whole crop have been marketing using your program and attained the results you have thus far? My thought - I doubt it
                Location matters - $12/bu is a lot easier to hit in some regions that others. Especially if you are near a crusher. The chart shows program results with a "generic" basis of 10 under. However, we have some guys that are netting over $12/bu, and we're not done yet. (We only advise on basis / delivery timing - we don't trade it.)

Basis matters.

Our approach is very low risk. Setting a target can work but, truth be told, there is the risk it doesn't. i know of many that don't get hit. In fact, when the buyer knows there's a wall of canola available at a price, they use that as a back stop - targets actually supress the market's move.

You'd be right - our program would not work for 100% of the crop sold by farmers. We don't forward sell (before harvest). That's 25-30% of the market. We don't sell AT harvest or even shortly after. Now that's up to about half the crop. But beyond that, yes, the other half the crop COULD be marketed this way getting what we call "top tier" prices (top levels of the price range over a crop year).

We approach the market like grain traders do - so, ironically, I can say that 100% of the crop IS traded using the techniques we use - it's just that buyers are using them, not the sellers.

For what its worth, a $12 target won't work for the whole crop either.

Comment

Originally posted by jdepape View Post
                  Location matters - $12/bu is a lot easier to hit in some regions that others. Especially if you are near a crusher. The chart shows program results with a "generic" basis of 10 under. However, we have some guys that are netting over $12/bu, and we're not done yet. (We only advise on basis / delivery timing - we don't trade it.)

Basis matters.

Our approach is very low risk. Setting a target can work but, truth be told, there is the risk it doesn't. i know of many that don't get hit. In fact, when the buyer knows there's a wall of canola available at a price, they use that as a back stop - targets actually supress the market's move.

You'd be right - our program would not work for 100% of the crop sold by farmers. We don't forward sell (before harvest). That's 25-30% of the market. We don't sell AT harvest or even shortly after. Now that's up to about half the crop. But beyond that, yes, the other half the crop COULD be marketed this way getting what we call "top tier" prices (top levels of the price range over a crop year).

We approach the market like grain traders do - so, ironically, I can say that 100% of the crop IS traded using the techniques we use - it's just that buyers are using them, not the sellers.

For what its worth, a $12 target won't work for the whole crop either.
                  Thank you for the reply. I think your comments help us to see that there is an average price that can be attained in the marketplace for the total crop. That average moves up or down depending on world markets and the domestic harvest results. The key is to get a return that is better than average. If enough learn to use a few tools that can make that happen, first, good for them, and second, it should raise the average.

Comment

Got $13.50 for july nexera for the last of it. If anyone has any left, it sure is a nice premium for canola that yields as good as any other !

Comment

Leaning toward putting some in on Odyssey treated(2017) pea stubble. Found a Company still contracting some for Jun/July/Aug "next" summer.

Nice job caseih!

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                        Got $13.50 for july nexera for the last of it. If anyone has any left, it sure is a nice premium for canola that yields as good as any other !
                        Excellent price..
                        Excited As a we are seeding some this yr ..

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          Leaning toward putting some in on Odyssey treated(2017) pea stubble. Found a Company still contracting some for Jun/July/Aug "next" summer.

Nice job caseih!
                          you must be thinking clearfield nexera canola ? we have had terrible luck with that variety . maybe they're better now ? was about 3 years back . all we have been growing is 1012 RR , sure has done well for us. or. maybe I'm reading this wrong , and you're not scared of the pursuit residue in odyssey ? . last year we put that non GMO 45H76 behind peas treated with 1/2 rate of pursuit , was the best yielder on the farm , premiums were really good on that this year as well
                          Last edited by Guest; Apr 26, 2018, 18:58.

Comment

SHIT

caseih, I shouldn't assume you were using the Clearfield tech. But that is my only option on that ground if I want to seed canola on it. After the lack of moisture last summer and our soil type, carry over could be a big problem out there. I don't want to take the chance. It's either the Nexara Clearfield or the Clearfield Clearfield. Just got to wonder if the 2024 2026 would be better than a non-Nexera Brett Young or even something else? Nexera has a bad reputation, maybe it's better now, we've NEVER used the tech in canola.

Any recommendations on varieties, anyone and everyone???

Comment

i have heard the clearfield nexera has come a long ways in the last few years ? i will leave that for someone else to answer ? we haven't grown it since that (think it was 2012? not sure) it was NFG. if you can get a bunge or viterra contract for non gmo clearfield , it sure has been good .premiums were from 60 cents net to about a buck this year. we're going to try pioneer 45H75 this year . have been growing 45H76 , yields really good but grows 5 1/2 ft high and hard to cut . high yielder 3 yrs running on our dirt.might be a good fit for you cause you probably don't grow straw like here in the swamp

Comment

The Viterra non-GMO Clearfield contracts premiums are nothing to write home about. Only about 30 cents a bushel premiun out to next summer. And there were actually negative basis off the early delivery periods The Nexera premium is about $1.70/bu.....but how well will it yeild?

I don't have alot of time to decide.

Maybe go non-GMO Clearfield off contract?

"Nexera".....and then there's the extra seed costs.... the seed itself with seed treatment and lumiderm and tech fee...Yikes. we've grown some good canola crops but some areas consistently grow goid crops, That's were canola seed costs are tabulated for, not the #Slum of the Ghetto!
                                Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 26, 2018, 22:38.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...