• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coldest temp anomaly in the WORLD...here

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    ........maybe just an adversarial, contradictory, devil's advocate, no bullshit debater?

You can't pigeon hole us all in the same nest or maybe not even in the same coop.

Some fly left, some fly right, and there's afew who flew over the ****oo's nest!
    I have always given him credit for playing the devil's advocate and making the rest of us consider our opinions and biases. But he really seems to believe some of the things he says.

I really appreciate a variety of viewpoints, especially those I don't agree with. But this just contradicts all science and common sense. I even recently posted a reputable university study indicating that Canada stands to drastically gain economically from potential global warming.

Comment

Conceding is humbling, it doesn't have to be humiliating.

Some people are better at defending their positions than others. More researched, not opinionated.

Name calling is childish.

I find there can be a pack mentality here at times.....everyone serves their purpose.

Grassfarmer is seldom off the mark, in my opinion. I don't agree with everything he says. Some of the stuff that "strikes a nerve" or eats at me the most might be the stuff I try to deny for any given reason.

There's lots of uncomfortable truths out there.

I could think of alot worse camps to be in than his!

It's ok to have a dissenting viewpoints. Do you guys wanting a quick thaw think I've lost my mind for making this statement, "The longer it(the snow) takes to "go away" in it's crystal form the better chance I get to "use it" in it's liquid form." We're all looking at things through a different set of eyes, opinions and circumstances.

Don't let Grassfarmer be a worm virus in your CPU(brain). Remember fellas, some parasites are "beneficial"...lol.

Take care and enjoy the Easter season. Travel safe too....
      Last edited by farmaholic; Mar 31, 2018, 15:19.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        I've tried very hard to have civil intellectual conversations with Grassfarmer on various topics, and avoided name calling, but there is no way that anyone who is being honest with themselves thinks western Canada is better off being colder. I'm having to agree with SF3, he is a troll.
        Strange you would bring that up in this conversation. In response to the second last post addressed to me your comeback admitted you had misunderstood me and that I was in fact correct. You followed that up with another point of view which I again countered - civilly and intelligently asked and answered by both parties with no name calling involved. So now it's time to start name-calling, pick up your ball and go home?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
          Strange you would bring that up in this conversation. In response to the second last post addressed to me your comeback admitted you had misunderstood me and that I was in fact correct. You followed that up with another point of view which I again countered - civilly and intelligently asked and answered by both parties with no name calling involved. So now it's time to start name-calling, pick up your ball and go home?
          I took your comment about drought out of context, that doesn't change the fact that plants need heat to grow. Our conversation was about our farms being better off with warmer vs. colder. All the evidence points to Canada benefiting from warming ( regardless of cause). Arguing against that is preposterous. Taking the contrary position to start a conversation is one thing, denying science and evidence is quite another.

Comment

If warmer means drier(which it may not necessarily mean)....a good part of the brown and dark brown soil zones may become grasshopper pasture. And the northern zones will benefit....until you go beyond the "developed" soil zones....the kind of climate and vegetation that retarded their development....they may not benefit from a warming trend especially in the nano nano time we're looking at.

I'm my opinion, neither a warming or cooling trend will serve everyone equally. There will be winners and losers, just like Mother Nature's weather moods deal out today.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              All the evidence points to Canada benefiting from warming ( regardless of cause). Arguing against that is preposterous.
              "All" the evidence definitely does not point to Canada benefiting from warming. Look at this page from Agriculture and Agri-food Canada's website outlining opportunities and challenges.

http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/science-and-innovation/agricultural-practices/agriculture-and-climate/future-outlook/impact-of-climate-change-on-canadian-agriculture/?id=1329321987305

Another excellent article by a farmer and columnist on some U of M research predictions in addition to broader comments about farmer's acceptance of climate change predictions.

https://www.country-guide.ca/2015/04/08/canada-meets-climate-change/46410/

Comment

Predictions, estimates, guesses, same bunch were 100% wrong in the 70's. Total lies and BS to know 30 years into the future. What if the sun is cooling? Those ARE facts seen today not 30 years away.

Comment

Just so you know the Saskatchewan Governments opposition to a carbon tax does not mean they don't accept the science behind climate change. Take a look at the introduction to their recently released document. If you have a chance read the whole document.

http://publications.gov.sk.ca/documents/66/104890-2017%20Climate%20Change%20Strategy.pdf

Prairie Resilience:
                  A Made-in-Saskatchewan Climate Change Strategy

Introduction
                  Saskatchewan people are pragmatic, resourceful, innovative.
                  Throughout our history, we have faced complex, challenging
                  problems imposed on us by geography and climate. Our
                  population spread over a vast land has taught us self- reliance
                  and resilience.
                  We’ve learned when we are faced with a challenge, it is up to us
                  to solve it.
                  Today, we face the global challenge of climate change, and
                  once again our province is motivated to develop an effective
                  response.
                  Our industries are heavily dependent on fossil fuels
                  to produce energy, food, fertilizer, products and commodities
                  needed around the world.
                  It’s up to us to come up with made-in-Saskatchewan solutions
                  that encourage action to meet the challenges posed by
                  climate change.
                  When faced with a complex problem, there is a temptation
                  to reach for the simple, quick answer. Climate change is such
                  a problem.
                  We wholeheartedly support efforts to reduce greenhouse
                  gases.
                  But those efforts must be effective and they must not
                  disadvantage one region of Canada more than another. A
                  federal carbon tax is ineffective and will impair Saskatchewan’s
                  ability to respond to climate change.
                  Our opposition to the federal government’s carbon tax should
                  not be seen as a reluctance to act. Rather, it is a recognition that
                  we must act, and act decisively, with all our economic strength.
                  For Saskatchewan, mitigation is not enough. Our agriculture
                  and resource-rich province must also focus on climate
                  adaptation and resilience in order to be effective.
                  A strong economy is one with the resilience and resources to
                  seek solutions and fund the innovations that we simply must
                  have to respond effectively to climate change.
                  We propose a broad and comprehensive approach, one that
                  connects the very real global problem of climate change to
                  the day-to-day priorities of people. An approach that sets out
                  actions people can see and be a part of. An approach that
                  allows Saskatchewan to continue to grow and prosper while
                  contributing to Canada’s efforts to address climate change.
                  Saskatchewan people and businesses have already begun
                  this monumental task. Their actions range from world-leading
                  innovation and technology development in agriculture
                  and power generation, to community and infrastructure
                  developments that continue to strengthen the resilience of
                  our economy and the integrity of our environment.
                  In this strategy, the Government of Saskatchewan builds upon
                  actions we have already taken and introduces measures to
                  strengthen our province and build resilience to climate change.
                  Our plan is bold, broad and made for Saskatchewan. It is the
                  best way for our province to harness our valuable resources
                  while contributing solutions to an issue that affects the
                  entire world.
                  Introduction
                  Prairie Resilience:
                  A Made-in-Saskatchewan Climate Change Strategy

Comment

I don’t think anyone disputes the fact that climate changes, it is, it has and it will, we just dispute the fantasy that we are subject to some climate armageddon and that man can alter sun’s activity. Also the fact remains that we are carbon dependent for green growth, food production and life itself. McKenna says she has no time to listen to people who oppose her view, the block-head would rather sink this country. Thank God our neighbour to the south can see the light and refuse to fall prey to “the agenda”.

Comment

The Saskatchewan government does not deny human caused climate change either!

The US is the only major country in the world who has said they would pull out of the Paris accord. Nicaragua signed on recently and Syria has not. Syria and the US our the only hold outs representing just 4.3% of the worlds population. Syria is certainly an example good leadership. Not! A failed state led by a man who uses chemical weapons on his own people! Hardly an example to the world for anything except a leader who is a despot.

And who is to say the next US government wont recommit? A large number of US States and cities are in agreement with Paris accord.

Comment

So hypothetically speaking what would be the implications of the Columbia ice fields doubling or tripling in size? Or a new one forming in the path of the prevailing westerly winds?

Comment

And as far as any idea that we are heading into another ice age here is the science that says it is unlikely.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/heading-into-new-little-ice-age.htm

Climate Myth...

We're heading into an ice age
                          "One day you'll wake up - or you won't wake up, rather - buried beneath nine stories of snow. It's all part of a dependable, predictable cycle, a natural cycle that returns like clockwork every 11,500 years. And since the last ice age ended almost exactly 11,500 years ago…" (Ice Age Now)

According to ice cores from Antarctica, the past 400,000 years have been dominated by glacials, also known as ice ages, that last about 100,000. These glacials have been punctuated by interglacials, short warm periods which typically last 11,500 years. Figure 1 below shows how temperatures in Antarctica changed over this period. Because our current interglacial (the Holocene) has already lasted approximately 12,000 years, it has led some to claim that a new ice age is imminent. Is this a valid claim?

Figure 1: Temperature change at Vostok, Antarctica (Petit 2000). The timing of warmer interglacials is highlighted in green; our current interglacial, the Holocene, is the one on the far right of the graph.

To answer this question, it is necessary to understand what has caused the shifts between ice ages and interglacials during this period. The cycle appears to be a response to changes in the Earth’s orbit and tilt, which affect the amount of summer sunlight reaching the northern hemisphere. When this amount declines, the rate of summer melt declines and the ice sheets begin to grow. In turn, this increases the amount of sunlight reflected back into space, increasing (or amplifying) the cooling trend. Eventually a new ice age emerges and lasts for about 100,000 years.

So what are today’s conditions like? Changes in both the orbit and tilt of the Earth do indeed indicate that the Earth should be cooling. However, two reasons explain why an ice age is unlikely:

These two factors, orbit and tilt, are weak and are not acting within the same timescale – they are out of phase by about 10,000 years. This means that their combined effect would probably be too weak to trigger an ice age. You have to go back 430,000 years to find an interglacial with similar conditions, and this interglacial lasted about 30,000 years.
                          The warming effect from CO2 and other greenhouse gases is greater than the cooling effect expected from natural factors. Without human interference, the Earth’s orbit and tilt, a slight decline in solar output since the 1950s and volcanic activity would have led to global cooling. Yet global temperatures are definitely on the rise.

It can therefore be concluded that with CO2 concentrations set to continue to rise, a return to ice age conditions seems very unlikely. Instead, temperatures are increasing and this increase may come at a considerable cost with few or no benefits.

Basic rebuttal written by Anne-Marie Blackburn

Comment

Feeding cows in winter - "a few degrees colder in winter doesn't make much difference". I guess these neighborly forbes stacked in gasfarmer's yard for two cents a pound have staying power in cattle guts. I always believed that cattle ate more in colder weather which should translate into a greater winter cost. Apparently not on one ranch.

Pharma, your wanting to hang onto snow cover longer only works if you can convince it to not skip the liquid part between solid and gas. You may be no further ahead hoping for a later spring.

Comment

Chuck your back Wow were you gone on a vacation, (took a plane that uses aeroplane fuel, train uses fuel or car or bus or Maybe a bike).

Or were you going to Liberal Convention on how to keep stirring a useless pot on Carbon taxes etc?

Reality is BC is getting what it deserves, Keep hugging trees.

Ontario is Broke thanks to Green Generation.

California can just slide away.

Sask Keep Fighting Ottawa or Leave and Become a new State in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
                                Pharma, your wanting to hang onto snow cover longer only works if you can convince it to not skip the liquid part between solid and gas. You may be no further ahead hoping for a later spring.
                                Damn that freeze drying...

Don't know what's worse, having it melt and hopefully soak in and be safely stored in the ground until the ****in hot low humidity howling winds suck it back out, or that freeze drying.

Maybe its time to start praying for rain.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...