• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coldest temp anomaly in the WORLD...here

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting this summary uses the word normal to describe the climate's weather in the environment. I thought that these days everything is abnormal

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    AJL, here is the only info I could find summarizing this past winter until March 19th in Winnipeg - likely a little different to ours but I think the trends were the same.

"Overall, temperatures have stayed close to normal. February was colder than normal but it was far from a record setter. If you remember the cold February from 2014, the daily mean temperature there was -20.0 degrees Celsius.

We were also close to normal for days below -30° C. From December through February, temperatures will typically drop to -30° C or colder 11 times with this happening 6 times in January. The winter of 2017/2018 had temperatures falling below this mark 10 times but 7 out of the last 8 days in December.

Precipitation wise, as you might expect, we were below normal amounts.
    Every month this winter has had below normal precipitation amounts with March being the exception. This is all thanks to the snowfall from March 4-5 which dumped approximately 22 cm of snow on Winnipeg.

If you add up what the normal precipitation amounts should be from December through March, you will notice that Winnipeg comes up short by 21.1 cm "

Comment

Well thanks for revealing that ALL IS NORMAL, cancel any and all Global Warming/ Climate Change bullshit and Carbon Taxes....

Comment

Forgot to mention cancelling carbon credits

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          Isn't that the peril of living in the wet black soil zone? Like risk of drought is for me here in the Slum of the Ghetto! Now if we could just find a happy medium.
          The solution is easy, just haul the wet deep black soil to your zone where it will flourish with the lack of moisture and increase in heat. Then on the back haul, take your lighter shallower soil( I'm making assumptions here) back to where the rain is, and it will drain and do excellent with the extra moisture. Could probably afford to do it with the money that has been poured into the black hole called climate change too.

Comment

Yawn....they didn't say everything was normal they compared different aspects of this winter's weather to normal which was the 30 average in this case. Obviously there is a range of variation that makes up any average which in this case are the short term weather fluctuations we experience. None of which conflicts with the fact that globally the earth is warming and the 30 year averages are moving up too.

Comment

Yawn....they didn't say everything was normal they compared different aspects of this winter's weather to normal which was the 30 average in this case. Obviously there is a range of variation that makes up any average which in this case are the short term weather fluctuations we experience. None of which conflicts with the fact that globally the earth is warming and the 30 year averages are moving up too.
              And are you really certain that for YOUR operation, warmer temperatures are a bad thing, and colder would be better? Not globally, and altruistically, but for your bottom line, which is derived from converting sunshine, CO2, and water into beef.

Comment

Yep, #1 risk always is drought and lack of water. Hotter average temperatures increase that risk. A few extra degrees of summer heat on a grass operation make the difference between drought and disaster, a few degrees colder in winter don't make much difference - it's still going to be cold and I'm still going to be feeding cows.

Comment

Interesting the Battlefords seem to be bucking the trend. The black line is the trend. Data from weather stations reporting to Environment Canada in the Battlefords area
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Battleford 30 yr monthly highs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	766359

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                    Interesting the Battlefords seem to be bucking the trend. The black line is the trend. Data from weather stations reporting to Environment Canada in the Battlefords area
                    [ATTACH]2763[/ATTACH]
                    Same here. Summers have been getting cooler. We rarely exceed 30 C anymore. Used to get many days of 30 or above, now it is rare. Also a much wetter trend than historic.

Comment

summers cooler here, winters also . more rain than normal as a rule . less snow as a rule . but not this year . highways shut again, snow and blowing snow

Comment

Same here, always TOO COLD, too wet, the short drought last July - Aug felt fantastic!
                        Canada would be much better off WARMER! Colder is death to plants even IF there is moisture, SFA grows under +5C. grass freezes too!

Comment

Grand minimum of the sun tells me gonna be colder and possibly wetter. More frost,shorter growing seasons so get prepared. How can we have a last 30 year average when the numbers have been fudged. I wouldn’t believe a damn thing the government is involved in.

Comment

101 , it’s getting to be a cold and dangerous place to live here in the Battlefords area .... lol .
                            But yup , in reality on the farm , I would agree with that graph. Had more fore issues during the growing season the past 14 years than the previous 15 - that’s a fact .
                            Also the only thing saving us from full out drought in some areas the past few years was cooler temps ..... but it’s a dry cold lol

Comment

Yep, #1 risk always is drought and lack of water. Hotter average temperatures increase that risk. A few extra degrees of summer heat on a grass operation make the difference between drought and disaster, a few degrees colder in winter don't make much difference - it's still going to be cold and I'm still going to be feeding cows.
                              I didn't ask about drought(deficit of moisture) I asked about temperature (total heat units received). The 2 are not the same thing.

I used to think you just posted opposing view points on purpose to stimulate conversation on here, but used common sense in the real world. But if you honestly think that a shorter growing season and less heat units will grow more grass on your farm, then the common sense aspect just lost all credibility. Not many Agricultural areas in the world with less heat units then most of western Canada, And if we had any less a lot of western Canada would go back to being nothing but Moose pasture again.

Comment

Colder is death to plants even IF there is moisture, SFA grows under +5C. grass freezes too!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...