• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putin and Versatile/Rostelmash a view from the Russian side

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
    The easiest solution would be upgrading infrastructure. Rail mostly. And get some true competition on those railways.

You really think it's that easy and makes us closer to China? Russia and China border each other. Two communist countries. Competition, there are two railways in Canada, like true capitalist they have eliminated all the other competition. Sort of what Putin has done in Russia politically.

More railway companies moving north is a pipe dream the major railways of North America have it all worked out. You think their going to listen to Western Canadian farmers who act like a bunch of cats trying to be herded up? Wake up you guys!
    Never said it would be easy but looks like we will have a major rail back long again this year which will cost how much. A billion in lost revenue and sales???? Maybe more maybe less Wouldn’t in be nice to invest money into infrastructure system so we don’t have future years of missed opportunity. There is no political will for that kind of vision. And I’m not just blaming the liberals, cons were in power long enough as well to make a vision and They did sweet f all. I am young and I am proud to be Canadian. But I don’t see how this plays out well long term. I hope I am wrong.
    And Infrasctructure such as rail shiuld be a national public interest for the betterment of the country. It should never have been gifted to two monopolistic rail companies. That deal stunk from the beginning. I’m a capitalist but something has to give there.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
      "Forage one day I'd like to meet you and you say what you say on here to me in person. I don't think you'll dare."

I really have no desire to meet you in the least but I would say what's on my mind if it happened. Right back at you "you say what you say on here" but would you say it in front of other? BESIDES WHY WON'T DARE TO? As for hating you that sounds like something for Twitter and Facebook, we're on a chatline with fellow farmers, you bad mouth Canada when ever you can and in your mind you justify that as contributing to Agriville. Do you read some of the treads on here, are you serious about contributing. I personally don't need to put down in print my accomplishment as a farmer and a Canadian and where I've traveled, what I grow, most guys don't give a shit and that's not my style. You take yourself and Agriville a little to serious!

Maybe if your ancestor died and fought for this country you wouldn't be daring me about anything!!!

A lot of members on here know me in real life. I'll say what's on my mind at all times.

So... Let's not discuss farming practices, other countries, politics...

Then what the heck is the point? I don't think you understand the concept of a discussion forum quite honestly.

This is getting offtopic though... Really off topic.

I'd you don't like what I post... Just hit "ignore" or don't read my threads...

Comment

one railroad holding wealth-creating industries hostage, no pipelines, hate on for carbon-the base of all living things, crappy provincial relations, no government - that sums up Canada that will soon have a 60 cent dollar.

Comment

Well it’s time for common sense to prevail.

Yes leadership in transportation of our grain has been lacking for decades...we are shipping way more then ever, but we are growing way more than ever.

Farmers just are better at growing more grain than the rails coukd ever keep up with.

So time for a big vision:

1.How about twin tracks... both mainlines each way for starters.....and get it done NOW! Figure the cost, be enviromently responsible, tender the work, get it built, pay for it with a combo of user tolls and Gov grants....Done.

2. Get oil pipelines passed now. Roll over the crazies that don’t like progress, get the permit and let it get done.Not 10 years from now...NOW!

I plan to keep increasing my yields. Good wheat used to be 35...now I’m pouting if we don’t get 50. 25 canola used to be ok....now 40 is ok....we will get better at growing, we need the marketplace and we need to get there.

We need some leadership that’s not afraid to get out there.

I agree, complacency and entitlement and thinking we can live off the wealth of our predecessors is dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Crestliner View Post
            Well it’s time for common sense to prevail.

Yes leadership in transportation of our grain has been lacking for decades...we are shipping way more then ever, but we are growing way more than ever.

Farmers just are better at growing more grain than the rails coukd ever keep up with.

So time for a big vision:

1.How about twin tracks... both mainlines each way for starters.....and get it done NOW! Figure the cost, be enviromently responsible, tender the work, get it built, pay for it with a combo of user tolls and Gov grants....Done.

2. Get oil pipelines passed now. Roll over the crazies that don’t like progress, get the permit and let it get done.Not 10 years from now...NOW!

I plan to keep increasing my yields. Good wheat used to be 35...now I’m pouting if we don’t get 50. 25 canola used to be ok....now 40 is ok....we will get better at growing, we need the marketplace and we need to get there.

We need some leadership that’s not afraid to get out there.

I agree, complacency and entitlement and thinking we can live off the wealth of our predecessors is dangerous.

Been saying that for a long time. That's exactly what we need.

Twin both mainlines, open up the running rights on those rails to shoreline companies provided they can operate to standards (safety, speed/power). MobilGrain should be allowed to run their train straight to port for instance.

Get all petroleum off of the trains now. There's no reason exposive/flammable substances should be traveling on a train. Pipes are safer and simpler.

Get people moving by mass transit. Train, High speed train, hyper loop. Doesn't matter. Calgary->Regina, Edmonton->Saskatoon shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 hours by speed train. Imagine how much traffic you can pull off the 411 doing that. How many fewer fatalities on the highways all over.

Build tunnels through the mountains. Push the trains through those, other countries have done it, Herrenknecht has the technology to do it fast. Eliminate weather from the equation.

All of these projects would cost billions but immediately affect GDP for the better for all Canadians. More wealth, more business, more efficiency, lower taxes for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
              Been saying that for a long time. That's exactly what we need.

Twin both mainlines, open up the running rights on those rails to shoreline companies provided they can operate to standards (safety, speed/power). MobilGrain should be allowed to run their train straight to port for instance.

Get all petroleum off of the trains now. There's no reason exposive/flammable substances should be traveling on a train. Pipes are safer and simpler.

Get people moving by mass transit. Train, High speed train, hyper loop. Doesn't matter. Calgary->Regina, Edmonton->Saskatoon shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 hours by speed train. Imagine how much traffic you can pull off the 411 doing that. How many fewer fatalities on the highways all over.

Build tunnels through the mountains. Push the trains through those, other countries have done it, Herrenknecht has the technology to do it fast. Eliminate weather from the equation.

All of these projects would cost billions but immediately affect GDP for the better for all Canadians. More wealth, more business, more efficiency, lower taxes for all.
              I like it....where do we vote for you to take it on👍👍 ??it’s going to take us farmers to do it as everyone will sit and wait for change rather than take it on.
              Last edited by Crestliner; Mar 4, 2018, 16:51.

Comment

Would one return line be enough for both Companies? But where would both lines tie into it? There's efficiencies with trains heading back east not having to pull over for west bound traffic. So maybe one line would be enough?

Comment

Can you imagine what BC would want in exchange for cutting a hole in their mountain x30 ? I actually like the idea, but the govt extortion, indigionous, unions ... penny wise pound foolish!

Mass transit, over the miles we travel, or from point to point is not achievable or economic. People travel now due to cheap, fast, air lines.

Is there any thing Sask can or should do infrastructure wise that makes sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                    Almost sounds like communism doesn't it...

Two railways do as they please keep a country and it's industry hostage to their whims and profit margins.

Forage one day I'd like to meet you and you say what you say on here to me in person. I don't think you'll dare.

You know what happens when you get blown up at 4 years old and just about killed? You grow one heck of a tough skin and your mind builds new pathways to cope. You learn to survive and thrive in any conditions.

Something you'd never understand.

Just like you don't get that those prized freedoms we once had are getting eroded by the day. Yet there's too many like you pointing fingers and laughing at others and beating your chests saying we're so much better - not realizing that the society you're so proud of is crumbling beneath your feet because you have no capacity to fight to protect it.

I'm not crying. I'm stating a cold hard fact. You don't contribute to this board you just attack certain members, mostly out of hate and spite and ignorance.

Even in this thread.... I never said a word about farming in Russia. I posted the video to show a side of Russia we don't often see here...

You're obviously Ukrainian... And as all people from that part of the world you're passionate about your country... And Russia has done many things to the Ukrainian people that are abhorrent.

The fact of the matter, that Russia is building out their capacity, and production ability does not change.

A confederation or republic is not a necessary precursor to grain production.

Our system has become totally corrupt. Look at who lobbies government. Watch and read what is said at committee hearings.

Ever wonder why the family of your FCC or bank rep all of a sudden ends up with certain pieces of dirt before anybody ever knew it was for sale?

Finally, we are in the business of feeding people. We need to make friends and strong ties to the countries with large populations and the money to pay for the food we can provide. India, China, Korea, Thailand come to mind. And we need to understand our competitors strengths and weaknesses. Thus why I post here. To broaden people's horizons and understanding of the greater world around us.

Comment

sorry, couldn't resist

Comment

Just imagine if canada went to 100 million people....High speed rail would make sense and so would another hole bored thru the mountains....

lets not think about the future...lets look back 60 years ...thats how we ended up with consolidation of railways and graincos leading to the mess we have today.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          The same Paul Martin that had a shipping fleet in Bermuda 🇧🇲 ?
                          Ya screw your Paul Martin OFF SHORE TAX EVADER...just like present finance minister and PM.

Comment

English Channel = 12 Billion pounds

1. The Channel Tunnel is 31.4 miles long, making it the 11th longest tunnel in use (the longest is the Delaware Aqueduct, at 85.1 miles), and the fourth longest used by rail passengers. It has the longest undersea portion of any tunnel in the world (23.5 miles).

2. The project cost £4.65 billion (equivalent to £12 billion today), 80 per cent more than expected. Construction took six years (1988-1994).

3. It was recognised as one of the "Seven Wonders of the Modern World" by the American Society of Civil Engineers, alongside the Empire State Building, the Itaipu Dam in South America, the CN Tower in Toronto, the Panama Canal, the North Sea protection works in the Netherlands, and the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

4. The first proposal for a tunnel under the Channel was put forward by Albert Mathieu, a French engineer - it included an artificial island half-way across for changing horses. Further proposals were considered by Napoleon III in 1856 and William Gladstone in 1865, while David Lloyd George brought up the idea at the Paris Peace Conference of 1919.

5. At the height of construction, 13,000 people were employed. Ten workers - eight of them British - were killed building the tunnel.

6. Englishman Graham Fagg and Frenchman Phillippe Cozette carried out the ceremonial break through on December 1, 1990.

7. They didn't quite meet in the middle - the English side tunnelled the greater distance.

• The Channel Tunnel: how its opening was reported in 1994

8. The average depth of the tunnel is 50 metres below the seabed, and the lowest point 75 metres below. Much of the chalk marl spoil bored on the English side was deposited at Lower Shakespeare Cliff in Kent, now home to the Samphire Hoe Country Park.

9. There are actually three tunnels down there - two for trains and a smaller service tunnel that can be used in emergencies.

10. 11 boring machines were used to dig the tunnel. Together they weighed a total of 12,000 tonnes (more than the Eiffel Tower), while each was as long as two football pitches. One from the British side remains buried under the Channel. Another was sold on eBay for £39,999 in 2004

11. Up to 400 trains pass through the tunnel each day, carrying an average of 50,000 passengers, 6,000 cars, 180 coaches and 54,000 tonnes of freight.

12. Three fires have occurred (in 1996, 2006 and 2012) inside the tunnel that were significant enough for it to close. The most serious, on November 18, 1996, damaged 500 metres of the tunnel, affecting operations for six months. An automatic fire dousing system has now been installed.

13. A number of train failures have occurred. On December 18, 2009, five Eurostar trains broke down, trapping 2,000 passengers for 16 hours without power, and many without food or water.

14. In 2014 a record 21 million passengers were transported between Britain and France using the tunnel - up from 7.3 million in 1995, its first full year in operation.

15. The vast majority (85 per cent) of car passengers are British.

16. Shuttle trains are 775 metres long - the same as eight football pitches.

17. The lining of the tunnel is designed to last for 120 years.

18. It takes around 35 minutes to travel the length of the Channel Tunnel.

19. The introduction of a pet travel scheme in 2000 has seen more than one million dogs and cats travelling through the tunnel. For more details on travelling to Europe with a pet - see our guide.

20. The Queen and President Mitterrand officially opened the tunnel on May 6, 1994. The royal party travelled from Waterloo to Calais at a sedate 80mph. The presidential party sped to the coast from Paris at 186mph.

Comment

Could it be:
                              - a joint pipeline project , oil, natural gas etc
                              - communications, fiberoptic
                              - passenger traffic
                              - rail
                              - power
                              - water

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                                English Channel = 12 Billion pounds

1. The Channel Tunnel is 31.4 miles long, making it the 11th longest tunnel in use (the longest is the Delaware Aqueduct, at 85.1 miles), and the fourth longest used by rail passengers. It has the longest undersea portion of any tunnel in the world (23.5 miles).

2. The project cost £4.65 billion (equivalent to £12 billion today), 80 per cent more than expected. Construction took six years (1988-1994).

3. It was recognised as one of the "Seven Wonders of the Modern World" by the American Society of Civil Engineers, alongside the Empire State Building, the Itaipu Dam in South America, the CN Tower in Toronto, the Panama Canal, the North Sea protection works in the Netherlands, and the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

4. The first proposal for a tunnel under the Channel was put forward by Albert Mathieu, a French engineer - it included an artificial island half-way across for changing horses. Further proposals were considered by Napoleon III in 1856 and William Gladstone in 1865, while David Lloyd George brought up the idea at the Paris Peace Conference of 1919.

5. At the height of construction, 13,000 people were employed. Ten workers - eight of them British - were killed building the tunnel.

6. Englishman Graham Fagg and Frenchman Phillippe Cozette carried out the ceremonial break through on December 1, 1990.

7. They didn't quite meet in the middle - the English side tunnelled the greater distance.

• The Channel Tunnel: how its opening was reported in 1994

8. The average depth of the tunnel is 50 metres below the seabed, and the lowest point 75 metres below. Much of the chalk marl spoil bored on the English side was deposited at Lower Shakespeare Cliff in Kent, now home to the Samphire Hoe Country Park.

9. There are actually three tunnels down there - two for trains and a smaller service tunnel that can be used in emergencies.

10. 11 boring machines were used to dig the tunnel. Together they weighed a total of 12,000 tonnes (more than the Eiffel Tower), while each was as long as two football pitches. One from the British side remains buried under the Channel. Another was sold on eBay for £39,999 in 2004

11. Up to 400 trains pass through the tunnel each day, carrying an average of 50,000 passengers, 6,000 cars, 180 coaches and 54,000 tonnes of freight.

12. Three fires have occurred (in 1996, 2006 and 2012) inside the tunnel that were significant enough for it to close. The most serious, on November 18, 1996, damaged 500 metres of the tunnel, affecting operations for six months. An automatic fire dousing system has now been installed.

13. A number of train failures have occurred. On December 18, 2009, five Eurostar trains broke down, trapping 2,000 passengers for 16 hours without power, and many without food or water.

14. In 2014 a record 21 million passengers were transported between Britain and France using the tunnel - up from 7.3 million in 1995, its first full year in operation.

15. The vast majority (85 per cent) of car passengers are British.

16. Shuttle trains are 775 metres long - the same as eight football pitches.

17. The lining of the tunnel is designed to last for 120 years.

18. It takes around 35 minutes to travel the length of the Channel Tunnel.

19. The introduction of a pet travel scheme in 2000 has seen more than one million dogs and cats travelling through the tunnel. For more details on travelling to Europe with a pet - see our guide.

20. The Queen and President Mitterrand officially opened the tunnel on May 6, 1994. The royal party travelled from Waterloo to Calais at a sedate 80mph. The presidential party sped to the coast from Paris at 186mph.
                                Technology has come along way. I was thinking more along the lines of gothard tunnel.
                                https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_Base_Tunnel https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_Base_Tunnel

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...