• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curling ???? No medals

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

Canadian athletes think they are better than rest of the world. Nice to see reality bite them in the ass. Still hasn't hit Dumbo.

Don't worry. Ya'll get to witness the waste of taxpayers dollars again in two more years.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion "Canadian athletes think they are better than rest of the world". I never witnessed any such thing from what I was able to watch of the Olympics. During interviews they were humble, proud and very thankful of their country (Canada).Maybe your not a Canadian to being with,who knows.

You seem to bash the whole Olympic concept. Did you ever participate in any organized sports growing up, because you seem very bitter towards them.

Anyways, you should join the thread regarding teachers and gun as many on there are commenting about the effect violence in video game my maybe having on mass shootings. Just wondering would you rather have them in the basement watching video games or participating in sports?
    As a fiscal conservative, I have a very big problem with government money being spent on people to play games, I don't care what age. Let private business sponsor and pay for athletes 100% and I have no problem with it. I also see it as a waste of taxpayer money in public schools as well - but that is no surprise as schools have been nothing but daycare centres for decades.

Comment

What is your alternative to public school?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodtime View Post
        What is your alternative to public school?
        Private. Home schooling. Options are there.

Comment

I agree with you about the sporting thing. The riders get a taxpayer built stadium without holding a nickel of debt or obligation to it other than using it for 9 regular season home games.

the same 25000 ticket holders go to the games while the other 400000 taxpayers in this province carry the debt.

I won't touch the school debate other than to say it needs an overhaul both in curriculum and staffing.

Comment

A whole generation of home schooled kids....that is hilarious. I dont deny the current public school system needs a good overhaul.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
              Private. Home schooling. Options are there.
              Finally a solution for the school system of Canada!

Firstly private schools receive government funding just like public schools, and I'm sure every Canadian with children have the funds for private schools available. Yes let's have a nation full of home schooled children with every parent following their own curriculum. This would surely prepare them all for post secondary education especially in Math and Science. Not to mention most have an abundance of time to spare to do it properly. That's why every other county in the world is doing it.

Are your children are being home schooled?

!5444 Why stop at sports get rid of music, art and PhyEd in schools as well . I guess they should have less activities than prisons, makes sense.

Comment

Sports and games in general are good for everyone's health especially children. nobody can argue against that. I guess professional sports and Olympic events create desire for everyone to participate at their own level.

But.... are out of control and huge waste of dollars. To spend hundreds of dollars on an NHL ticket or fly across the continent as people do to see their favorite team is just stupid. Olympics also seems pointless to spend my tax dollars to support the athletes that want to compete. (especially when they steal Hummers and go on drunken joy rides in a foreign country).

Main problem is not the sports it's the commercialization and flash behind them.

Calgary is considering on bidding again for the 2026? winter olympics. Problem is they are scared about the finances cause each event has to out do the last ones in flare and pizazz and that costs money. Old facilities from '88 are fully functional but would need to be replaced for looks/show and that's the problem.

Comment

When watching the Olympics on television i noticed it didn't seem like big crowds there. Hockey and curling games had plenty of empty seats. The crowd at the snowboard events didn't look big....

And watching luge, skelton or bobsled is an obvious tv event.

Comment

Finally a solution for the school system of Canada!

Firstly private schools receive government funding just like public schools, and I'm sure every Canadian with children have the funds for private schools available. Yes let's have a nation full of home schooled children with every parent following their own curriculum. This would surely prepare them all for post secondary education especially in Math and Science. Not to mention most have an abundance of time to spare to do it properly. That's why every other county in the world is doing it.

Are your children are being home schooled?

!5444 Why stop at sports get rid of music, art and PhyEd in schools as well . I guess they should have less activities than prisons, makes sense.
                    Yes, my kids are homeschooled. Is that a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                      If you've ever curled much you know that's just how curling goes. Curling Gods are the cruelest. Because curling is 99% mental, it doesn't take much of the wrong thinking or negative reaction to pressure throw you off just a bit.

With Rach, she could have been pulled early. Jennifer Jones was there. Kaitlyn Lawes was there. Cheryl Bernard and Colleen Jones could have jumped up, instant team.

The middle of Koe's team seemed to leave him a lot of tough shots. But it's curling. It happens. New tee shirts should read, "curling happens".

Curling in the US though? Ha.my ND neighbours 12 miles straight south of me have played and beat John Shuster lots, as well as beating Pete Fenson. Nowadays they come here to Killarney to curl as the curling clubs down there are all closed or closing.

The irony was that not many gave Kaitlyn and Johnny Mo a chance because of mixed doubles inexperience coupled with John's type A personality. But, they won and the favourites failed.

A lesson for next time.
                      You make some excellent points.
                      It was shame that Rachel didn't take advantage of Cheryl Bernard being the spare.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/karly.leforce/videos/2099095343435209/

New take on curling

Comment

Forage, if you think today's cirruculam teachs kids how to understand poat secondary you better keep trying to get that Art's degree. When I went from high school to university over a decade ago it was an eye opener. High schools do not teach the kids anything that is needed for the real world. There should be more money management courses and other courses relavent to the real world (i.e: trade type class and life decision classes). Too much of this lets just push the kids through and let the real world eat them up.

Comment

To reply to the actual thread topic. Canada just shit the bed. It happens.

Comment

I didn't stop at sports, that was just the focus of the discussion. Absolutely get rid of art and music! The whole system needs a massive overhaul. A big step would be following the Scandinavian model where children are segregated based on their actual intelligence, none of this everyone is special and a winner shit. In that system, a kid that can barely read in 8th grade is not allowed to be in the same class as those in the upper 10% of the grade. He is groomed to a labourer position, no wasting extra teaching resources on a kid that will never be an engineer or Doctor. Kids are closely followed the first 10 years of their life and decisions are made as to what sector of society they will excel in. The Swiss, from what I understand, have a very similar system.

I have 2 nephews, they turn 15 and 11 this year. 15 year old can barely form a sentence, struggles with basic math (2+2 does not always equal 4) the other one is 'gifted' if I have even met such a child, he can continue a rather decent conversation with an adult. Rather than being lumped together in their education, they should have been segregated. The 15 year old should no longer be in school beyond grade 8 (he will fail all of his secondary classes and be passed just to shift him through the system) and the 11 year old should skip elementary and be taught at a secondary level. Their father is a teacher and their aunt is also a teacher in their school (I have about 10 teachers in the family) and they agree with such recommendations. The other difference between the two kids, the older one will work like a mule (loves manual labor) and the smart one is one of the laziest kids I know - manual labor is for stupid people who don't make enough money to hire it done (he is an excellent capitalist - for which I am very proud - better than his father who is a big Trudeau fan - even more so than ones on here).

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                                Yes, my kids are homeschooled. Is that a problem?

"I am so glad my kids school is armed to the teeth, and that all the students in our school, know and respect guns, and know how to use them."

No I see nothing wrong with, seems very normal to me along with the Bible Camp!

4gfarms

I have two children who went through public school and went on to get a Master Degree in Science and the second with a degree in Business. Both have excellent jobs, if they come back to the farm it's up in the air right now. If the parents are involved and take interest in their children's education, public schools are excellent. There were many other parents with the same goals for their children as ours. They both played organized sports as well throughout public school and made many good friends in their school. They assimilate well in University as it's a big world out there.

Not sure what you talking about Art Degrees is that the choice your children made?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...