• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop choices Narrow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tweety View Post
    Chuck, who decides which 8 out of 10 farmers stop farming?

Or do you control supply by legislating nutrient amounts to nil and destroy the crop land? Oh wait, that's organic farming.
    Read the articles and you will see that the US used the PIK and set aside programs. They were voluntary.

Most successful organic farms in the world use good rotations, soil building crops and have access to livestock manure. They are not always short of nutrients.

Comment

In 2013 the U.S. used 4.7 billion bushels of corn (40% of the harvest) to produce over 13 billion gallons of ethanol fuel.

Supply management?

Same user pays system as our dairy etc.

Comment

Another huge factor is that artificially cheap debt has rewarded over investment in the sector leading to more over investment. Land it being cleared around here since land is expensive while lands out put is now cheap. That only exists because of artificially cheap debt keeping it all going. Farmers will supply manage without government involvement when the bank account is empty and banker shakes his head. That is reality for some right now. Just remember who signed for the debt.

Comment

Sk3

"Their is a profit if all land is paid for and equipment cost min and just shift to neutral and enjoy the down turn. "

I guess I should start hoping for 15 wet years followed by a drought to get to the same point that your at!

If I get the same weather patterns as you did will I get to winter holiday as much as well?

Comment

He was simply stating a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
              Read the articles and you will see that the US used the PIK and set aside programs. They were voluntary.

Most successful organic farms in the world use good rotations, soil building crops and have access to livestock manure. They are not always short of nutrients.
              If Shannon Phillips and the Ndp have their way here there won’t be any livestock manure in Ab, just shit from Edmonton.

Words escape me...

Comment

Originally posted by Stampsguy View Post
                If Shannon Phillips and the Ndp have their way here there won’t be any livestock manure in Ab, just shit from Edmonton.

Words escape me...
                Like!👍

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                  I certainly agree but 1 problem. I have a son who would like to farm full time and any new land in my area that comes up for rent is $100 per acre, not sure my pencil is that sharp lol. Obviously my neighbors are better at math than me!
                  Hamloc is your land base not large enough to support your son also without renting more? How old are you,maybe rent some of your land to your son and start exiting if you are 60 plus. You are lucky to have a son who wants to farm. I know it is tough for a young guy to get started bidding against high rents. Hope you can find a solution to your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by AC man View Post
                    Hamloc is your land base not large enough to support your son also without renting more? How old are you,maybe rent some of your land to your son and start exiting if you are 60 plus. You are lucky to have a son who wants to farm. I know it is tough for a young guy to get started bidding against high rents. Hope you can find a solution to your problem.
                    This is not just hamloc problem , it has been the same everywhere here.
                    $100 won’t touch an acre here , closing in on a 1/2 mill per 1/4 section now ..... no oil , drier climate than most in NW sask.

Comment

Forrage in the late 80s when the banks were leaving ag and money was tight and no one was buying I was picking up every thing I could find. Wish I bought more actually but some days it was hard to figure if my plan was working . So farming is about timing because then came the flood years when every one was making money hand in fist we were scraping buy now with normal precip maybe we’re back because it’s canada with one crop and land isn’t woth half a mill or a 120 a acre rent were not Iowa or red river valley.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                        This is not just hamloc problem , it has been the same everywhere here.
                        $100 won’t touch an acre here , closing in on a 1/2 mill per 1/4 section now ..... no oil , drier climate than most in NW sask.
                        500k per quarter in NW Sask.......wow.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                          Ok chuck let’s bring back the CWB

If Chuck brings back the CWB, watch the price of land drop.

Comment

I say let's just let Russia and south America kick the shit out of us....

No comment about the cwb but we can't compete with those two let alone the US and Europe with their farm programs....

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                              Forrage in the late 80s when the banks were leaving ag and money was tight and no one was buying I was picking up every thing I could find. Wish I bought more actually but some days it was hard to figure if my plan was working . So farming is about timing because then came the flood years when every one was making money hand in fist we were scraping buy now with normal precip maybe we’re back because it’s canada with one crop and land isn’t woth half a mill or a 120 a acre rent were not Iowa or red river valley.
                              In some areas guys were buying land in the 80s for the price of rent now. I started a long time after the 80s but land was still fairly reasonable and I was ready to borrow every cent possible to buy land. Like you say timing is everything.

Comment

If timing is everything, maybe it's a good thing nobody that I made loose offers to has allowed me to put my money where my mouth is! Or maybe a bad thing if I couldn't and prices continue to rise. I really do feel things are getting a bit toppy....friends of sellers are reporting the local BTO is beginning to talk the market down.

Overhead resistance 101? Get out the chart.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...