• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

drought

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff on radar, 1/10" again? Weyburn right now...

Talked about Lafleche, was told crops never even germinated somewhere near there...

Comment

Arguing about how many millimetres is considered a rain? Hahahahaha what geniuses we must appear like.

2/10 doesn't do anything when it's already dry but it is a rain so there.

How about discussing some solutions for families to make it through this. Crop insurance has a good system of delivery and some good people but this 10 year average including disaster years is bullshit and if governments are selling climate change and more risk there ought to be more liability coverage accordingly.

How about guys being allowed to cut crops and bale them instead of having both grain farmers and cattle ho down the tube and then make a big annmouncemen on how you can defer selling off your herd income. What a joke.
      Last edited by the big wheel; Aug 1, 2017, 14:07.

Comment

Not pissing anyone off but seems a lot of australias cropping areas and in areas that need it most may get a huge soaker over next 5 days, a heavy rain event tonight wednsday it morning here now, possibly 15 to 30mm followed by showers of 5 to 10 mm each day till sunday with hail a real southerly blast.

Comment

droughts can be very good years as far as grain prices as long as you are not in the drought area.unfortunately we usually are in the drought area.If this is your first drought you have probably made big bucks in past bad years that everyone else were in survival mode.Year 1 is nothing compared to year 2.Better put a few more holes in that belt and tighten it.

Comment

setting up to be a real drought next year out west. financial prudence will be paramount. I'm sure many of you remember the 1980's. now factor in today's cost of production with no crop in the bins.

We learned back then how to survive, some may have to learn this for the first time.

Comment

We learned back then how to survive, some may have to learn this for the first time.

Everyone but the exwife!! Ha!

Comment

Even in the dirty eighties, we never had two dry years back to back, next year this should be rebound country. In 1980 we ploughed down all of our crop except for 180 acres of summerfallow laird lentils. The next spring it blew like a buggar, a foot of blow dirt on our new sod. But then it started to rain in 1981 and all our land was kinda summerfallow cause it never grew anything in 1980. We skimped on the inputs but probably shouldn't have. We are still suffering shell shock from 1980. 😿

Comment

Big wheel I don't agree with you most times but your comments are correct instead of arguing over a tenth is pointless when it doesn't rain. Getting through the situation and making. It work if this drought continues because this year will be easy but next will be the wreck. Crop insurance is good but yes the ten year average is bullshit especially when the west side had the 80s dropped. They sure didn't do that for flooding.

It will be a interesting winter and spring summer 18. Time will tell

Comment

Originally posted by jcv View Post
                    Grass I am very familiar with where you farm in Manitoba, my Great Great Grandfather homesteaded at Homefield, My family still farms there.

Everybody would like a set amount of rain each week, but in the late 80's where you farm, it was too dry, and in 1999 and 2011 was too wet.

Good luck to your inch a week, and when it gets too dry, you might understand what 2/10ths amounts to.
                    jcv, some seem to misunderstand my point. I wasn't demanding or expecting an inch a week, just saying that in an ideal world that would be my preference. I'm quite familiar with both wet and dry conditions. Grew up in a climate with a 56" average rainfall but a wet year might hit 70". In my 15 years in Alberta we experienced the worst 3 droughts in that area since it was homesteaded. So don't think I'm just sitting here smug because we aren't as dry as some and don't know what drought is.
                    Just calling out a blatant liar when I see one. If you claim you get rain then later you claim you didn't get rain one of them is a lie, doesn't matter if it's 2/10ths or 2". Get tired of one poster's ongoing "pity me" posts whether it's hot, dry, cold or wet.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                      jcv, some seem to misunderstand my point. I wasn't demanding or expecting an inch a week, just saying that in an ideal world that would be my preference. I'm quite familiar with both wet and dry conditions. Grew up in a climate with a 56" average rainfall but a wet year might hit 70". In my 15 years in Alberta we experienced the worst 3 droughts in that area since it was homesteaded. So don't think I'm just sitting here smug because we aren't as dry as some and don't know what drought is.
                      Just calling out a blatant liar when I see one. If you claim you get rain then later you claim you didn't get rain one of them is a lie, doesn't matter if it's 2/10ths or 2". Get tired of one poster's ongoing "pity me" posts whether it's hot, dry, cold or wet.
                      And in those 3 really dry years... What did the 2/10 do for you if you would have gotten them?

I bet not even greened up your lawn.

That's sf3's point. Under a half inch is as good as 0

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                        Yes it does matter if it's 2 tenths or 2 inch. One is a good rain and one is piss all and does not effect the root zone. 4 drops hit my windshield today is that rain too Grass? Usually only city slickers dont know the difference.
                        Last edited by biglentil; Aug 1, 2017, 22:09.

Comment

I have had a few guys mention the worry about what happens next year...

Well I guess anything is possible. If we are coming from record wet year to a record dry year then I guess maybe a nice middle of the road with average moisture has as good a probablility as any other.

I am staying optimistic here...my logic is that any moisture what so ever is going to soak in very nice thanks to the massive cracks in ground.

Comment

Lol, now normally i disagree with grassfarmer, but here everybody is piling on grassy now. Where are the complaints about everybody bullying grassfarmer? You bunch of hypocrites! If you wanna follow an asshole like sk3, that's up to you, but some of you don't seem to see that your turning into a whiney little bitch just like sk3! After all it's just a crop family is way more important. Whiney hypocrites! What a useless site! I think i'll sign on to twitter and follow parsley. She has class! sk3, you don't and you never will. (sorry to hurt your feelings )

Comment

....welcome back stonepicker. I hope you stay.

Comment

My "Leader" banished me from his Kingdom for slandering him....... OH WOE IS ME!!!! What ever shall I do?

farmaholic
                                JUL 24, 2017 | 21:33 57
                                Quote Originally Posted by stonepicker View Post
                                Bullshit!!! and farmoholic isn't far behind when it comes to whining! Grow a set! ( as sk3 says! )
                                I take my right to whine and complain, bitch and moan very serious!

If I want what others have, I better shut up and put up.....take the risk, put in the time, if some are lucky enough to have inherited "$ilver Platter Farms....good for them!!! But SF3....some are right...you will have to take it down a notch and be grateful for what you have and the crop in your fields. I just don't think people can put together the pictures of your crops with your comments. It could always be worse and as my Pappy says, its never so bad that it couldn't be worse, like it is here...could be worse.

Stoney, please skip over my posts or block them with the ignore button, don't let them drag you down! Take care man!
                                Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 1, 2017, 23:24.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...