• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

drought

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the "drought"..... watching the radar for the last few hours..... hard to watch that precip slide right under us. In all honesty, it probably doesn't matter much anymore for this crop. Maybe plump up some seeds and increase bushel weights a bit..... but I guess that's yield too. On the cusp of combining peas... maybe tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Vines are still tough and some big plump uncured peas but we always start early and aerate them anyway. If they stay standing it won't take long, we don't have a pile of them.

Comment

Looked at some of the neighbours standing green peas this afternoon. Couldn't believe how bleached some of them were already in the riper patches. A third of the field was still green, so those ripe areas will be fully bleached by the time the rest of the field is ready. Not ripening very evenly.

Comment

Danny. If the patches have been ripe a long time already and as intensely sunny as it's been, I'm not surprised. Is the land real variable with high hills or patches of lighter soil?

We just sprayed ours Saturday night with diquat. They looked quite ripe, but no brown(dead) ripe patches. At night when the sprayer lights shone on them. ...they looked like they still had a green hue to them. We will take them asap to preserve quality.....nothing worse than poor yeilds and poor quality....well I guess you could throw poor prices in there too. But they're not for sale at these price levels
        Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 2, 2017, 00:26.

Comment

I have to quit wakeing up to watch the radar do sweet F$&j all again and go around the entire farm. Swing and a miss again tonight. It's sickening to watch. Looks like it's coming and then gone. Stick a fork in this one the pattern is in place and nothing has changed. Late Canola is ****ed now. 2017 the year it rained once. I can't believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
            I have to quit wakeing up to watch the radar do sweet F$&j all again and go around the entire farm. Swing and a miss again tonight. It's sickening to watch. Looks like it's coming and then gone. Stick a fork in this one the pattern is in place and nothing has changed. Late Canola is ****ed now. 2017 the year it rained once. I can't believe it.
            I haven't looked at a radar map in three weeks, what's the point. Blocking pattern in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
              And in those 3 really dry years... What did the 2/10 do for you if you would have gotten them?

I bet not even greened up your lawn.

That's sf3's point. Under a half inch is as good as 0
              The discussion is not about whether 2/10ths is enough to avert a drought or not, obviously it isn't. The discussion is about whether it's acceptable to exclude self admitted rainfall events from your yearly totals and still have a shred of credibility. If it's ok to exclude 2/10ths then presumably you'd also be ok with him excluding the 1.5" that came 2 weeks earlier then he could claim it was really, really dry only half an inch all season and no rain for 56 days. Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                jcv, some seem to misunderstand my point. I wasn't demanding or expecting an inch a week, just saying that in an ideal world that would be my preference. I'm quite familiar with both wet and dry conditions. Grew up in a climate with a 56" average rainfall but a wet year might hit 70". In my 15 years in Alberta we experienced the worst 3 droughts in that area since it was homesteaded. So don't think I'm just sitting here smug because we aren't as dry as some and don't know what drought is.
                Just calling out a blatant liar when I see one. If you claim you get rain then later you claim you didn't get rain one of them is a lie, doesn't matter if it's 2/10ths or 2". Get tired of one poster's ongoing "pity me" posts whether it's hot, dry, cold or wet.
                Some would realize that after 30 days of temps pushing 36 degrees with winds gusting to 50 km many days, 2/10 is NOT a rain - even 5/10 is not a rain - Rain is rain, that soaks down to the seedbed- not scattered showers that barely dampen the ground for half an hour. Go back to cutting grass instead of being a perpetual irritant. Where dod you come from? I think I here someone calling you.

Comment

That's 'hear' not 'here'. Proper Anglaise please!

Comment

Alleluhia praise the Rain Gods..... we got .24 of an inch. The DROUGHT is over! No more whining and complaining , bitching and moaning for me! Ok, I think I may have just cursed myself with my sarcasm. Put the triples on the combine, grease up the grain cart, dust off the tow rope, no trucks in the fields.....we'll be combining by 8:30, it's like the rain never even happened!

The only truth to this is the quarter inch of rain, and in all likelihood, cursing myself. (like "**** me").

In all honesty, other than a reprieve from the heat and intense sun, the quarter inch isn't much more than a glorified dust settler under these conditions. We will need a SOAKER sometime, but hey, this may be a start.
                    Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 2, 2017, 07:25.

Comment

you lucky bastard.In keeping with the spirit of this site anymore I now officially hate you.

Comment

wait I looked at the weather station and it says we have had 3.8 mms in the last 24 hours so I only hate you 24% of what I did a few minutes ago.

Comment

I just got done reading some of Drew's July weather Prognosticator... Maps can be funny things, when you know damn well what is happening on your doorstep and a map suggests otherwise(but not by much). The maps are basically right but there are variations within the areas and then there is the question of where the boundary lines are or should be.

As I said in another post, I doubt we would of had any amount of rain/rains that would have totalled 2mm in July. I hope I never see one of these in my farming career again!

I wonder about the weather stats for my area(a bit SE of Regina) with days at or above 30 degrees.... I bet we blew that record out of the water as well.

Harvest is nearly here, please remember to work safe. You're no good to anyone injured or dead.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarms View Post
                            wait I looked at the weather station and it says we have had 3.8 mms in the last 24 hours so I only hate you 24% of what I did a few minutes ago.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	atlas.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	765917

That's OK mcfarms.... just call me Atlas.... I can bear a world of hate placed on my shoulders....lol

Comment

Before:

Name:	atlas.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	765918

After:

Name:	better.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	765919

I've been doing this for a while...

Comment

Even our reseeded canola is done flowering and the earlier canola is turning now with occasional dark coloured seed. Most lentils in the bin. Durum at soft dough.

I Don't think rain helps us now for this year. But I guess considering we are worrying about next year I should continue the rain dances

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...