• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

drought

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One last comment on this area, it has fared pretty well lately, but my other side of the family farms about 45 miles west of there. My grandfather who farmed for 50 plus years, wouldn't grow canola, as he felt it was too dry. In 2011, my uncle who farms it now, never seeded an acre - too wet.

Farming is dependent on rain. To much or to little, both are bad.

Careful thinking you have it made.... eventually you will get bit.

Comment

Nice one forage you always seem to think you know better.

Grass has turned into a complete asshole.

Tell me how a tenth of rain is a rain.

Really explain.

please tell me oh great Forage.

Comment

I am not to worried about other people's opinions stated here....I can read them or skip overy them....mostly read for a different perspective.

I know one thing .....there is a lot of people reading here that make decisions and this constant in fighting amongst farmers here or other places plays into their hand perfectly.....they don't have to address the issues.

Lowest rainfall in a long time and no one calls this a drought...

Farmers should be doing two things ....

1. Patting themselves on the back for the advancements they have made to reduce the effects....and telling those in power they have done all they can....

2. Maybe a bit of a lobby effort because if this doesn't turn by November. ...production of anything in a large part of southern Saskatchewan in 2018 will be a waste of effort.

Comment

sk3 being an asshole isn't all bad, everyone like a good shit sometimes.

Comment

Horse

And laughter is the best medicine....thanks for the chuckle.

Comment

Are foragefarmer and grassfarmer, et al, one in the same. Do we simply have one leftist here, who seldom has anyone agree with him, and creates other user names to give the appearance that atleast somebody does? He logs in, and posts things in agreement with himself? argues with others in a gang up appearance in the threads. they all seem to have that "dog in the manger" type of mentality, just like Horse last posted, about SF3,
              "so get off everyone back that don't have a 1/2 mill sprayer in the background of there selfie, and eligaly use roundup as a desiccant because can't be a bto without it."

haha

BTW, Horse, I'm not sure what "eligaly" means, does it have something to do with being gay???

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                It's been 130 years and never has our farm been skunked.
                You should be well positioned to survive this one time then.

Oh the shit storm that will happen here if you post one single picture of combining. Because in a real drought, you don't even spray herbicides let alone fungicides. A whole month, incredible.

Comment

Bucket I do agree with you this piss on guys when they are having issues like a f&@king tenth means something. Any one who farms knows it's piss all.

But what I agree on is yes why not say wow with today's way of doing things a huge drought could be survived for at least the first years.

But no it's either grammer or spelling or because you have something I'm going crush you when times are tough.

Yea I can take these idiots but really when they have had rain and they challenge you over a tenth we all get how special they are.

Link to liberals

Comment

Wonder about surviving the drought... One year yes but what will next year look like? We have 0 subsoil reserves left within plant distance. Sloughs that have never been sry since we started farming out here are bone dry now.

Comment

SF3, I appreciate your input into this site. I understand your comments and challenges, and some of the decisions that you made, that if you knew the weather, would have done otherwise.

If the situation doesn't change, will be alot more guys feeling the effects of little rain. North Dakota just announced a hay lottery, so they have producers feeling the effects alreday.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                        Wonder about surviving the drought... One year yes but what will next year look like? We have 0 subsoil reserves left within plant distance. Sloughs that have never been sry since we started farming out here are bone dry now.
                        We had 15 years of that. Last 10 have been lots of rain.

I believe the term you're looking for is prudent fiscal management for the upcoming year.

Comment

Agree with Tweety , if you sprayed in crop herbicide and fungicide.... you are no where even close to a drought . You may have had just a dry spell.
                          We have seen it here where it's been seeded and that's it. Nothing to spray at hebicide time and combines left in yard.
                          It was the third year of a drought , not the 3rd or 4th week lol

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                            We had 15 years of that. Last 10 have been lots of rain.

I believe the term you're looking for is prudent fiscal management for the upcoming year.
                            Same here. Must be same area as me. 20 year period of getting drier culminating with 2002. My first crop was 2001. So between that, bse, and 2004 frost my first years were challenging. Still paying for that and some bad decisions. Hopefully I can right the ship eventually cause stress turns you into an asshole and an old man quicker than what it should.

Comment

It's way too early to "dwell" on next growing season just yet. But anyone who says they haven't thought of the possibilities of a lack of moisture are probably lying.

It could start raining and make harvest difficult yet. Who knows...

Comment

Yes one good rain can end a dry spell or put a big dent in a drought. We'll see.
                                Right now I'm with everyone who says it cannot be ignored and spend accordingly.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...