• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola cupping leaves! Drought or it just hit the gas!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wiseguy
    a tenth a couple of times hasn't been enough !

Here in the Slum of the Ghetto, a tenth at a time is all this saturated soil can handle! Even then we lose huge areas to drown out, and anaerobic symptoms are obvious! Right now the schlerotinia apothecia are thriving so well that they are competing with the canola.... thicker and taller than the canola!!! The air reeks of Fusarium spores... bring on the hot dry winds and stop the incessant rains!!!

Hmmm mmm...

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      Like!!! And don't be so critical of your equipment. Nothing is perfect, even the new shit!

The MRB'S help somewhat with cutting long pea and cereal stubble.
      We've had lots of rain and poorish seedbeds and the real difference between a good and bad stand of canola is maybe who did a little preseed harrowing or fert app and seed date. Lots of early seeded canola got crusted and slowed or prevented emergence. Best canola stand I've seen here is from a bg 8810 with knives and packers and pre applied fert. Worst stands from disk drills no matter the brand. Para link drills generally good. Single shank drills stand with them as well. If it were average dry conditions the fancier units would shine. Year in and out the worst performers here are disk drills. You'd think they should be the best but I've yet to see consistent stands. Out of this area on lighter ground they work great but here they must over pack the soil.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
        To the seedhawk seed master guy WTF you must not get out much in most areas it doesn't matter if it's a half million drill or a old flexicoil they all come up the same. The local guys with seed hawk were on their knees all spring looking for growth like most.
        Just need to change the depth yes it takes time but on a drier spring like this need to be that extra 1/4-3/8 deeper vs the wet years previous where we were always getting rains after seeding. I agree comes down to operator more than anything

Comment

I seed grass on 16 acres around yard...adjusted drill to shallowest setting and no pressure....grass is coming.

Set the drill for an inch for canola it came up.....across the road next day set the drill well into moisture and the wheat looks like shit. .......it's disappointing. ...now the canola will bolt and flower in this heat. ...been there done that.....it's going to be ****ed right quick.

Comment

Enough drill wars back to the topic at hand

One could probably get long canola here cuz it doesn't look like things are gonna change anytime soon. At least pull the hedges if you haven't already

Iceman Out

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Helmsdale...I was one of those "God forbid untouched pea stubble" guys. Seeded canola into it. It was dry and didn't work too bad but far from perfect. Some heavy residue in places, I guess that's what happens when you grow a 60 bu/ac pea crop the year before.... Like I'd ever know... never done it before that. I would bet the farm the germination results may have been dramatically worse if I did anything to it before seeding.

An eye opener here was a guy who seeded flax into lentil stubble that "protilled" parts of the field last fall.... you could see the spots that were done as plain as day.... just like you cut it with a knife...areas done versus areas left. Not that everywhere else on the field was perfect, just that everywhere it was tilled was that much worse! Too loose, too deep, too dry, I don't know....they're blaming it on cutworms! Re-seeded it.
              Strange , now that you mention it , vert tilled fields here laid a lot more water than cult fields and wheel tracks look a lot worse in vt fields

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...