• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trespassing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trespassing

New farming neighbors beside me this year. One guy calls me early spring says his employee made a mistake, he was heavy harrowing on my property and got stuck.As the stooge got out he travelled across another one of my quarters and got stuck there.
    The farm owner was very apologetic and lm pretty sure he was embarassed. I still got a little cranky with him just to make sure the message is serious and not to **** around. I think clubroot is a genuine threat but thats not the issue here.
    Its not too big a deal but it gave me a reminder to protect myself. I dont accidentally cultivate other farmers' fields/crops. Historically the orginal organic farmers posted their land with "do not spray" signs. I always thought that to be a bit severe and made them look paranoid. All neighbors have been good and we have a mutual regard for how we have to make a living.That said, if I get zapped, that kicks my quarter out of organic. It takes three years to transition back to organic. Fast and rough math suggests that is a loss of $150,000 gross income. Enter Mr. Lawyer. In a court case like this, I would be looking for my compensation and the other guy would be defending himself. One question from the defense lawyer would be "were your properties cleary identified as organic" .
    I am not expecting anything other than the ordinary but yet one mistake by some farmers idiot employee made me realize its time to post my properties. This may not be well received by my "good " friend neighbors but I can make everybody's (aerial applicators) life easier with signage.
    Plus its easier to identify whats going on with those shitty half yeilding , weed infested fields.
    I am the type of person who would rather put up "DONT TAZE ME BRO, DONT TAZE ME!!!" signs but that would not be appropriate for the situation!
    Last edited by hobbyfrmr; Jun 4, 2017, 09:50.

I would say that is a real risk. If I were in your shoes I would consider sending a friendly letter to all farmers that own land adjacent to you making them aware of the situation with spraying and fertilizing.

Comment

Starting to happen in a lot of areas as bigger farms get more and more inexperienced workers .
      Watched a guy a few days ago out with a rock picker on a field . "One of the hired hands", Well when he was loaded he drove accross the field straight over the main grid and dumped the rocks on our side of the ditch . Then zipped back over the road , no where near an approach and continued on . We were like wtf , did that just happen ??? Lol
      Some real wizards out there .
      The approach was just 400 yards away and there is a rock pile on their side .
      Sure makes you wonder sometimes .
      One thing in common though , it sure is easy to blame the hired helpers .....

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        Starting to happen in a lot of areas as bigger farms get more and more inexperienced workers .
        Watched a guy a few days ago out with a rock picker on a field . "One of the hired hands", Well when he was loaded he drove accross the field straight over the main grid and dumped the rocks on our side of the ditch . Then zipped back over the road , no where near an approach and continued on . We were like wtf , did that just happen ??? Lol
        Some real wizards out there .
        The approach was just 400 yards away and there is a rock pile on their side .
        Sure makes you wonder sometimes .
        One thing in common though , it sure is easy to blame the hired helpers .....
        Just like that! There is no logic, why dump the rocks across the road on the neighbors property, it just doesnt make sense.
        I appreciate the letter suggestion. I find that gets personal and possibly offensive. Then again the new farmers may appreciate the heads up. Neutral, matter if fact type of language should work.

Comment

I would agree hobby, approaching the subject with tact and diplomacy will probably be more effective than coming out swinging and cursing. Swinging and cursing is for when after approaching with tact and diplomacy don't work :-). Maybe you have explain the consequences to you if they accidentally apply pesticides and fertilizer to your organic certified land. There should be no reason you have to suffer financial loss because of someone else's negligence.

I'm waiting for someone to chime in to state that some people's organic practices are costing their neighbors extra financially.

Good luck

Comment

These BTO's should take initiative to keep their half wit employees on the right property. They can number their combines...how about a number sign on the property and a corresponding map for worker. Colour code it if numbers are too complex. The 'managers' claim to be more productive in the farm office than the tractor, so after the 'ratios' are done, figure a system to keep your goofs on your own (likely rented) land.
            One of these guys sprayed a quarter of wheat for us once. Turned out fine I guess but I'd rather not have anyone's wheels on my dirt - clubroot, foreign weeds, aphanomyces, etc
            I don't think I've heard of a family owner operator doing this kind of thing. Still the best structure for a multitude of reasons imo.
            I'd say post and send a letter hobby. I have an organic neighbor and would respect getting that from him.

Comment

Last year had a neighbor decide to take shortcut across my quarter with his drill. Sunk it in the ground, likely thinking he was helping with tillage or so he didn't leave ruts. Problem is as he was doing it i was filling sprayer to burn the field off.
              Another field landlord decided to burn donuts in the mud this spring with grandkids. It's one of my no till fields. I don't get people.

I think it helps to have good fences and keep hates closed. If somebody has to get off their ass to open a gate they might have a chance to think what they're doing.

Comment

Hobbyfarmer what's the protocol for organic on borders with conventional guys. So many places with no headlands or fences that has to be an issue. Buffer required?

Comment

For years one guys employees worked or harrowed one of my quarters out of a 3 quarters they farmed. I didn't mind i didn't have to work it. But one year when he was already done Imput capital started to combine my Canola and I got really Pissed at them. The F$%kers never paid me for what they harvested. Useless Company.

Comment

I got chewed by the neighbor for swimging harrow wheels out on his. He was a funt about it. When he sends me a bill for 'damages' I"ll put up a fence.
                    Sounds like organic is a special case. But otherwise every ones cows get out one day so to speak.
                    How much clubroot is in a cloud of harrow dust. Put up a wind fence too I guess.
                    People are so up tight these days. Good fences make good neighbors I guess. I'll never clean up an old fence line again.
                    The neigbors in past who have shit down my neck of course have always been perfect. LOL. Their the fkrs you gotta watch.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                      Hobbyfarmer what's the protocol for organic on borders with conventional guys. So many places with no headlands or fen that has to be an issue. Buffer required?
                      Where there is no fenceline I have to maintain a 25 foot buffer zone, document what I do with it. Reality is I have never had a problem until
                      recently and it was tractor and harrows with an exceptionally incompetent employee.
                      I appreciate the insight on how to be diplomatic and proactive. . I do understand everyone is out trying to make a living with what they know. I am not trying to make this into an "us vs. them " issue . If everything can be done easier without drama, all the better.

Comment

No wonder no one wants to become a farm employee with the they must be morons attitude towards them displayed on here. We NEED higher interest rates to bring back more hands on management rather than the BTO from somewhere else model of farming being enabled by on going financial repression.

Comment

I show them or someone that knows shows each employee exactly where they need to be and what kind of job they need to do where they are at. If they don't follow they get a warning never needed more than a warning for this kind of stuff. Wrecking equipment that's s different story. Hahahaha

Comment

Sort of destroys the premise of "If somebody has to get off their ass to open a gate, they might have a chance to think what they're doing." -GDR., but ...

If there are three agricultural people riding in a truck, which one is the cowboy? Answer - he's the one in middle, so he doesn't have to open gates.

Comment

Talk about a problem!!! How about having a organic guy beside you that has his field polluted with beautiful yellow and white flowers. Every time the wind blows or the water runs he is damaging my property. What a mess!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...