• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting Loses...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Loses...

It's too early to write this crop off but in a couple of days its June first. The crop here seems "slow". Cool temps lack of precip and ****in wind. Peas are short for being planted about a month and took it on the chin when it froze....they had a whitish look. Wheat seems to be ok but any fool can grow it. Canola is all over the map...some ugly shit that looks like it got kicked in the "junk" to not bad stuff. It better rain pretty ****in soon. Flax isnt too bad but the odd spot with seed in dry dirt. We are coming up to in-crop herbicide time....give it what it needs, spray for esthetics, or just say **** it and cheap out(not my style...its my land and I like to think long term). Do you just keep throwing money at a crop that needs the free stuff, rain, more than anything else?

Then there's the flip side of guys having a tough time getting their crop in. I guess you don't have to spend money on a crop that isn't seeded....but there's also no chance of making a buck either without a crop. At what point do you say screw it...I'm not planting? ....payments, rent, living expenses don't go away.

Then there's the mixed/cattle guys in this area. ...pastures, hayland and hay sloughs are poor to dismal. The livestock have to eat....crops can wither and almost die but its different for livestock....they need to be cared for.

Hard to believe the extremes....

The level of risk is insane. Stakes are high, not for the faint of heart or anyone who knows better. I can't imagine operating on the "edge" under the varying circumstances we're facing individually.... too dry too wet both the shits.... it would be good to hear some good news out there in Western Canada crop country.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 1, 2017, 06:21.

I know it is tough. I have been dry way more than wet in my farming career, but spray it when the stage is right.

It is going to rain eventually. Two different years I got my first measurable rain the third week of June. And amazingly both times got not a bad crop.

Even 2002 and 2003 I sprayed but I used 2,4d on some and buctril on some and spot sprayed wild oats.

Some neighbors didn't and they are still fighting the after effects, like hawksbeard etc.

Comment

Over a month seems like a long time to go without meaningful precipitation, since the late April blast of snow, during such a critical time of crop establishment.

Probably feels just as long for the guys waiting for the precip to stop and get some drying conditions....

"Wouldn't it be nice if it didn't matter.....?"

Comment

Our crops are slow to..Too dam cold. Canola seeded 2 weeks ago in cold..wet..lumpy soil is the most uneven germ we have ever had.
        Potential is not there now..
        Resent rain will germ the rest. But 2 weeks apart will make harvest a guess when to swath.

Comment

I already threw in the towel for this yr and Mabry all those after also. One of the consultations of getting old and being a small time operator. Now if I could just convince the BTOs the rent should be higher all would be well. Can't convince them rent is more important than new paint, Plant it all into grass nut there is getting to be less cows to eat it, same as hay >03cent # oh probably pass away befor bank account is empty, just hate to quit on such a poor crop as last yr.

Comment

IN 2010 quit seeding June 14. Would have seeded more but it was raining so much there was no land to get to. That canola seeded on June 14 went 28, not great I guess but it was a surprise.

Comment

Regarding moisture, we were off to a great start! But "net drying" since the start of seeding would be an understatement! Moisture a toe scratch below the surface but run a seed drill through it during hot weather with sickening low humidity and hurricane winds....Your kinda beat.

Comment

Was a lovely surprise to see some ugly frost damage from last nights -2. Usually wouldn't hurt it much but I think the crop is looking for an exit strategy. Reseeding 600 acres of canola due to sand blasting before fridays now non existant rain forecast. Incrop herbicide might be roundup on everything if we dont get good rain in the next few weeks. And im not talking roundup ready crops. Shes that dry and getting that ugly. Lets see no rain -7 frost, no rain, followed by 85km winds and dust storm, more high winds for what seemed like forever, no rain, more frost, flea beatles. Did I mention no rain. No shit crop established in early may is just giving up turning yellow and dying. I don't think this crop can hang on a month. The crop is too stressed and weak. This shit area is not little folks. Im going to use some reverse psychology on Mother Nature and hope for no rain since hoping for rain is not working.

Comment

Any one looking to restore an ole car? For a small fee you can park it in my field. Should come out paint and rust free in a few days.

Comment

Fortunately there is the highly subsidized crop insurance and other programs to help cover your losses. Unlike most businesses farmers have it pretty darn good.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                      Fortunately there is the highly subsidized crop insurance and other programs to help cover your losses. Unlike most businesses farmers have it pretty darn good.
                      Don't count on crop insurance , it gives a false sense of security until you need it.

Comment

Biglentil, did a canola SeedCo step up and help ease the reseeding cost? I got help from one with an insecticide for flea beetles(thank you).

Comment

We went two months last year with more than 2/10.
                          First rain was end of June .
                          This was the only pocket around that missed all the rains . Still got a crop , not a wiz banger , but a crop . We fought wind every day too it seemed.
                          Keep it clean and give it a chance .

Comment

Purchasing land is a long term strategy but the prospects of buying over priced land under the current circumstances we're facing isn't very appealing! 2015 kinda a bust, 2016 a stellar year, 2017 not getting off to a good start. And to think current conditions likely won't have a huge bearing on the price of dirt here...between well heeled investors and Vendors who know that or don't have to sell but "would for the right price", will keep the prices high....if the farmer wants to play, he'll have to pay!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              Biglentil, did a canola SeedCo step up and help ease the reseeding cost? I got help from one with an insecticide for flea beetles(thank you).
                              Yes canola seed help came through. The flea beatles were in my mustard crop. Bring on the cutworms and grass hoppers.
                              Last edited by biglentil; May 31, 2017, 06:26.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...