• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting Loses...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tweety View Post
    Fortunately there is the highly subsidized crop insurance and other programs to help cover your losses. Unlike most businesses farmers have it pretty darn good.
    are you on drugs ??

Comment

"Wouldn't it be nice if it didn't matter.....?"

Yes, and every day I am closer to that wonderful feeling...

Sounds like nobody is happy!

Comment

Crap insurance?
        They deduct 6 percent of total farm acres as a cushion before they pay any to wet to seed acres..

Comment

Good morning all , hope some of you are getting rain out there! I am located in the maple Creek area , nw 18 miles to be exact , and here is what we are going through right now: sub soil moisture is good , but only on the farm land , the grass is absolutely screaming for rain. I checked some alfalfa/cwg hayfields that I have on some sandier land and leaves are falling off already. An inch or two of rain right now would be dandy , but mother nature always bats last. All last week we had wind 40-50 mph almost every day, that sucked some moisture out of the country, and here we are a forecast for 30 degrees today and already we have 30mph wind. I don't mean to complain , because I know there are a lot of nasty stories about not getting any seeding done or very little because it's too damn wet . I wish I could take 2 or 4 inches of rain from some of you folks, my heart goes out to ya.

Down here , another two weeks of warm windy weather and our crops are going to be looking for rain. Never a happy medium.

Comment

Our crops are doing Ok so far but with the extreme winds it will not take long before they will. need a rain. I know that rain is a curse for the poor guys in the wet areas,got to feel for you. Wife and I took a drive to the Melfort,Tisdale and Wadea area some seeded,a lot more to be done and lots of last years crop to be dealt with. I not sure how far you seed into June before you pull the pin. You start seeding past the first week and you run into problems in fall. Good luck to my fellow farmers in these wet areas!

Comment

Sunday night minus three SE of Regina, much damage to lentils and canola reported. AGAIN

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                It's too early to write this crop off but in a couple of days its June first. The crop here seems "slow". Cool temps lack of precip and ****in wind. Peas are short for being planted about a month and took it on the chin when it froze....they had a whitish look. Wheat seems to be ok but any fool can grow it. Canola is all over the map...some ugly shit that looks like it got kicked in the "junk" to not bad stuff. It better rain pretty ****in soon. Flax isnt too bad but the odd spot with seed in dry dirt. We are coming up to in-crop herbicide time....give it what it needs, spray for esthetics, or just say **** it and cheap out(not my style...its my land and I like to think long term). Do you just keep throwing money at a crop that needs the free stuff, rain, more than anything else?

Then there's the flip side of guys having a tough time getting their crop in. I guess you don't have to spend money on a crop that isn't seeded....but there's also no chance of making a buck either without a crop. At what point do you say screw it...I'm not planting? ....payments, rent, living expenses don't go away.

Then there's the mixed/cattle guys in this area. ...pastures, hayland and hay sloughs are poor to dismal. The livestock have to eat....crops can wither and almost die but its different for livestock....they need to be cared for.

Hard to believe the extremes....

The level of risk is insane. Stakes are high, not for the faint of heart or anyone who knows better. I can't imagine operating on the "edge" under the varying circumstances we're facing individually.... too dry too wet both the shits.... it would be good to hear some good news out there in Western Canada crop country.
                I think I missed a memo. My shrapnel is all welded together and greased. Time to get started seeding.

Comment

Tweet you must be a liberal citiot because you sure aren't a farmer please do us a favor and f#$/off.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    are you on drugs ??
                    Are you on welfare? Do you feel taxpayers owe you a coverage of your expenses?

The biggest disaster in farming has been the loss of the real effects of risk.

Comment

Hey tweety do u think we owe u a free lunch maybe your groceries should be 5 times higher than they are take a hike and get off the farmers backs you only enjoy the lifestyle you have because of our cheap food policys in the free world. ASSHOLE.

Comment

Farmers pay the full cost of crop ins. The govt inflates the premium numbers so it looks like they are contributing to ag but nobody would pay the premiums they claim for the shitty coverage we get. Tweety you are living up to your name a little yellow bird that is all beak and full of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                          Are you on welfare? Do you feel taxpayers owe you a coverage of your expenses?

The biggest disaster in farming has been the loss of the real effects of risk.
                          You better come and try to farm here , i'll show you what risk is. Crop ins works for 1 year maybe 2 after that youre ****ed . Agristability is totally ****ing useless. If you were a farmer you would already know that . There is no ****ing other business that would assume this kind of risk . the only reason were still all around is because we dont pay ourselves 50 ****ing dollars an hour like everyone else gets and like you probably get whereever you work telling people how to do it

Comment

Originally posted by sofa.king View Post
                            Farmers pay the full cost of crop ins. The govt inflates the premium numbers so it looks like they are contributing to ag but nobody would pay the premiums they claim for the shitty coverage we get. Tweety you are living up to your name a little yellow bird that is all beak and full of shit.
                            Not only that crop insurance is making the govt money. There is a surplus in the kitty
                            Last edited by Guest; May 31, 2017, 18:14.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              Not only that crop insurance is making the govt money. There is a surplus in the kitty
                              The GRF owes crop insurance 1.3 billion dollars.

Let that sink in.
                              10 years ago that number was 27 mil

Comment

What is grf klause.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...