• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fusarium and DON no problem for organics?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fusarium and DON no problem for organics?

March 30, 2017 The Western Producer article quotes various organic producers. They claim that these diseases are not an issue for them. If Fusarium head blight is carried by wind, why would their crop not be affected same as fertilized, sprayed crops? Anybody know?

Talk about a wierd article. Too bad few have common sense in this world? Simple. It has zero of the conditions for the disease to spread and develop. Most organic ground has no "staying power" meaning, for one it has less organic material to keep the ground moist for conditions to persist in the ground. Second, crop is not lush, wind and sun can easily penetrate it and dry out the plants, causing very short dew periods.
    It's all a trade off. Do I want to grow a 20bu low DON or throw the kitchen sink at it, and hope for a 60bu and milling grade.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
      March 30, 2017 The Western Producer article quotes various organic producers. They claim that these diseases are not an issue for them. If Fusarium head blight is carried by wind, why would their crop not be affected same as fertilized, sprayed crops? Anybody know?
      Because it's "organic". You can't tell me that some of these organic clowns aren't using chemical or fertilizer if they can get away with it. This has to be the most unregulated industry there is....take my word for it it's organic.....or my favourite...it's all natural

Comment

They aren't stupid like the rest of us. They don't use fungicides. At least not engineered ones I stopped killing the soil years ago not organic but use organic natural products. Takes a few years but once you get there way better crops less bills.

Comment

A friend quit growing organic CPS wheat because fusarium got too bad. FWIW

Comment

We aren't organic but we also don't mainstream it. Fusarium has never been a grading issue for us... So I believe it

Comment

Anyone grow Glen spring wheat? Even spring wheat varieties have different "resistance" ratings. ....let alone between classes of wheat....and then there was durum!

Comment

Cue the circus music "da da dada lada da da dada lada "

Don't do it. You will regret it. Why live in regret? Destroy your land, become the pariah of your esteemed farmer neighbors in your community. Pissy little crops, thistles flying all over on the neighbors, other farmers driving past trying to figure what the hell you planted and how many more crops like that before you go broke.
                Driving shitty old machinery because you cant cash flow anything modern. Hours and hours in the tractor doing summerfallow instead of relaxing with your children and family at the lake. No scientific evidence to confirm your actions, no agronomists to help you. I heard that Input Capital Corp is going to provide an organic streaming option for the more progressive organic farmers.
                Last edited by hobbyfrmr; May 12, 2017, 16:46.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                  Cue the circus music "da da dada lada da da dada lada "

Don't do it. You will regret it. Why live in regret? Destroy your land, become the pariah of your esteemed farmer neighbors in your community. Pissy little crops, thistles flying all over on the neighbors, other farmers driving past trying to figure what the hell you planted and how many more crops like that before you go broke.
                  Driving shitty old machinery because you cant cash flow anything modern. Hours and hours in the tractor doing summerfallow instead of relaxing with your children and family at the lake. No scientific evidence to confirm your actions, no agronomists to help you. I heard that Input Capital Corp is going to provide an organic streaming option for the more progressive organic farmers.
                  Wait for the us/canada housing/debt bubble to burst. Organic prices will really go for shit. With decades of big crops under your belt you will be fimancially sound to buy out the organic clowns for a severe discount. They might even pay you to clean up their land so it might be appealing enough to try and sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                    We aren't organic but we also don't mainstream it. Fusarium has never been a grading issue for us... So I believe it
                    What does he mean by, mainstream it?

Comment

Curious folk would do a soil test at the farm which had zero fuz, then do a soil test from the farm(s) most proximate to the test.

Given that organic does not treat seed, the weather is similar, the only factor of great difference is the soil.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                        They aren't stupid like the rest of us. They don't use fungicides. At least not engineered ones I stopped killing the soil years ago not organic but use organic natural products. Takes a few years but once you get there way better crops less bills.
                        I've been killing my soil for 40 years, crops are better and more consistant than ever. Hmm. Your sellin' fake news big wheel. Study a little soil science would you? #fakenewsfakenews#

Comment

So if you google 'Fusarium", you will see that pulses are susceptible as well as cereals, and the many types of Fusarium spores overwinter in the crop residue, straw and ground. Tell me why, we have been growing lentils in earnest since 1980 and never saw Fusarium in lentils or cereals until the last few years. I know, too wet all summer.

Comment

Fusarium almost put an organic farming neighbour out of business. He switched to conventional just in time. Grass in the ditch is organic and gets fusarium.

Any organic crops I've seen around here had such a thick undergrowth of weeds they'd act like a canopy keeping fusarium spores from blasting up to the heads.

Comment

The more fungicide you put on the more you need next year. Proven fact on my farm, done my own trials.
                              Stone if what you're doing on your farm works good keep doing it. On my farm after 3 years way less inputs and healthier crops from day one onward.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...