• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Go time?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go time?

Had cps come out and spread ammonium sulphate and edge ahead of seeding in mustard. We've had about 7.5/10s of rain since the beginning of april, on tlground that was 100% saturated going into freeze up so its wet in some rather unorthodox places.

That said, i still though that if we seen some sun and nice weather we'd be seeding in earnest by this weekend which is ~10 days behind what i'd consider normal for the last 10-15 years or so. There is a quarter here or there that drains well that might be possible to start on tomorrow, but alot of these fields are a still a week away if you want to be able to seed everything but the lowest of low spots.

Thats going to put us 2-3 weeks behind normal. Not that i'm complaining... at least we were tremendously fortunate to get the crop off here by remembrance day. A record i hope to never outdo! Further north of here the stories are almost unbelievable. A friend hauls equipment in east central ab, and has talked to a few guys with water logged or snow covered fields with up to 75% of their acreage still sitting out. Neighbors in-laws have 1/3 still out, with many of their neighbors in the same boat to upwards of 50%+. They figure 10 days to 2 weeks before the fields will even hold up a combine let alone see a drill!

Thankfully the long term models seem to be coalescing around a drier basis, but if that changes, a wreck not only for #harvest16, but also #plant17 and subsequently #harvest17 is threatening.

.....farming is a tough gig! Won't be long here, depending if it continues to shower. Last bit of snow just went away from the last blast and the only places there is any is where it drifted, on north facing slopes and beside the heavy harrows. Might be spraying real soon.

Be safe this spring and take care.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 29, 2017, 08:10.

Comment

Those tracks should fill in, with a cat...
      Looks dry at Pontiex too..Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiex.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	765528

Comment

Harrow ed canola stubble on driest field we farm. Still ruts from tractor

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
          Harrow ed canola stubble on driest field we farm. Still ruts from tractor
          Quad leaves ruts here, chance
          of rain next 4 days...

Is this accurate?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	765530
          Last edited by fjlip; Apr 29, 2017, 10:57.

Comment

Ya they got whacked south of here with snow , on top of very wet ground

Comment

Step 1: pumping the nurse tank full in "the slum of the Ghetto" (just fo you sk-wheatking)

Comment

If you farm sticky clay land you learn over time it is best to be patient when its wet.

Comment

We started seeding today. So far, going well. The next fields might not be as ready.

Comment

soil temp was 38 F here this am, heavy clay west side of Lake Diefenbaker... going to need a few more warm days me thinks.

Comment

Seed into cold soil is never a good idea.
                      If the women are not wearing shorts..it's to cold to seed.

Comment

When the women start wearing shorts who wants to be seeding?

Comment

We will likely be going by Monday, unless it rains. 70 and 60% chance here Monday and Tuesday then sunny after that and possibly 25 by Friday. We'll see what the forecast holds. I just hope my nemesis the wind stays away. Humidity is dropping quite low here in the afternoons, so low humidity and high winds dry out opened land (seed furrows) pretty quick. But like last year we are starting out with pretty good moisture...maybe even a bit better, but as I said before it goes from adequate to deficient pretty quick for shallow seeded flax and canola.

Best of luck everyone and work safe!
                          Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 29, 2017, 21:13.

Comment

Can raise a good dust on worked ground but a lot of good ground that didn't get worked is too wet.
                            Likely wait a week or so yet.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Start 2017.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	765531

Comment

The road to my fields. That is rm hoe, there for three weeks/Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo277.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	765532Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo276.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	765533

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...