• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

farm Reassessments

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

farm Reassessments

Assessments way up.

Yep ours was shocking

Comment

Better brace yourself for tax shock. After reassessment our taxes increased by 43%. A few farms saw increases of over 100%. They didn't have to. The RM could have changed the proportioning formula but so far have shrugged that off. As well, the province could have stepped in with legislation to changethe proportion coming from farmland but Pallister has been reluctant. He spends less than the NDP but no improvement otherwise in governing, at least in dealing with farm and rural issues.

Comment

I haven't received ours yet, I'm thinking it will be up dramatically. On a positive note, at the RM spring supper our Reeve assured us they will adjust the mill rate to compensate for the assessment increase so it doesn't dramatically raise the municipal portion of the tax bill..... school tax is likely a different story(back to the old days before they relieved us of the lopsided burden of rural land paying so much), the government will look at it like a windfall, especially now when they are running deficits.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          I haven't received ours yet, I'm thinking it will be up dramatically. On a positive note, at the RM spring supper our Reeve assured us they will adjust the mill rate to compensate for the assessment increase so it doesn't dramatically raise the municipal portion of the tax bill..... school tax is likely a different story(back to the old days before they relieved us of the lopsided burden of rural land paying so much), the government will look at it like a windfall, especially now when they are running deficits.
          Isn't this "reassessment" timely for premier blow it all!

Comment

In another thread, I ended it with, "....when it isn't your money."

The Reeve of our RM may not be the most personable fellow but he, with the help of council, do manage the purse strings like there their own! Remember what I said about personality.... but he did win last falls election when the seat got challenged by a council member! And by a healthy margin. People voted for common sense and not "personalities"!

Comment

In our rm the mill rate has been adjusted so tax in 2017 is just slightly higher on ag land taxes after this reassessment. Acreage owners with big houses have been hit hard by reassessment though.

Comment

Braveheart, with farm land values going up constantly what did you expect? Reassessments always lag the market, all the RM's are doing is catching up.

I cut and pasted this:

"The Farmland School Tax Rebate (FSTR) was implemented in 2004 to support the rural economy by providing Manitoba farmland owners with school tax relief.

The rebate percentage has increased from 33% in 2004 to 80% in 2016. "

What has the value of your farm increased by from 2004-2016? I don't like it either but it doesn't come as a surprise!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                  In our rm the mill rate has been adjusted so tax in 2017 is just slightly higher on ag land taxes after this reassessment. Acreage owners with big houses have been hit hard by reassessment though.
                  If mill rate is adjusted correctly there should be 0% increase although on municipal taxes.
                  Additionally in 2017 everyone will receive an education tax increase.

A carbon tax will also raise municipal and education taxes as well.....

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                    Better brace yourself for tax shock. After reassessment our taxes increased by 43%. A few farms saw increases of over 100%. They didn't have to. The RM could have changed the proportioning formula but so far have shrugged that off. As well, the province could have stepped in with legislation to changethe proportion coming from farmland but Pallister has been reluctant. He spends less than the NDP but no improvement otherwise in governing, at least in dealing with farm and rural issues.
                    No improvement other than trying to get us out of the downward spiral of debt that Selinger put us in. Manitoba is in a rebuild phase it's gonna get tough before it gets better.

As for your Rm problems, why don't you go talk to your council. Over some chicken perhaps?

Comment

Reassessment should be revenue neutral. The rm council has to adjust the mill rate for this to happen. Taxes will go up because they are using 80% of value instead of 70%. If the mill rates aren't set where they should be there should be big questions. The amount of education taxes we pay is almost theft. Different school divisions running half empty busses or in some cases 1 or 2 kids on them. Unions constantly threatening strikes or walkout.I wonder how much money is wasted in these school boards with separate and public school systems.
                      Well anyway......

Comment

Haha Kinger. If I ate that chicken I'd need my stomach pumped. Yes, I've talked to the councillors. They say it's the province. Selinger changed the percentage calculated from farmland. RMs could themselves either adjust the mil rate, change proportions from farmland , or give us a tax rebate. They're fine in this RM reducing taxes in town while giving us a huge and unfair hike in the country.

Comment

Forage, WTF is wrong with you? Have you ever stuck up for farmers in your life? This is excessive taxation. Just because farm property is reassessed higher doesn't change the farms ability to pay more. In fact, it's the opposite. Also, assessment is only a snapshot of values at that time. Since reassessment, values here have now dropped by, in many cases 30%. That won't show up till next reassessment.

Our RM has shifted the burden of financing the RM operations from the urban to the rural, yet, we have virtually no services. Our roads are shit, infrastructure like culverts are too small, ditches don't work. Road graders are more like recreation vehicles. Drivers rest more than drive.

Our RM, since amalgamation, and electing councillors at large, has virtually all urban councillors. They don't understand farm finance. We had one promising (farmer) person run in the last runoff but he lost in a close vote.

Our farms are under attack. Taxes, whether RM or carbon are choking us. You Forage, seem just fine with that. Why? Not a farmer? Just love gov't (must be a commie)? What? Tell us, besides the "hard workin dairy farmer" you never seem to give a shit about standing up for farmers.

Comment

like.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                              Forage, WTF is wrong with you? Have you ever stuck up for farmers in your life? This is excessive taxation. Just because farm property is reassessed higher doesn't change the farms ability to pay more. In fact, it's the opposite. Also, assessment is only a snapshot of values at that time. Since reassessment, values here have now dropped by, in many cases 30%. That won't show up till next reassessment.

Our RM has shifted the burden of financing the RM operations from the urban to the rural, yet, we have virtually no services. Our roads are shit, infrastructure like culverts are too small, ditches don't work. Road graders are more like recreation vehicles. Drivers rest more than drive.

Our RM, since amalgamation, and electing councillors at large, has virtually all urban councillors. They don't understand farm finance. We had one promising (farmer) person run in the last runoff but he lost in a close vote.

Our farms are under attack. Taxes, whether RM or carbon are choking us. You Forage, seem just fine with that. Why? Not a farmer? Just love gov't (must be a commie)? What? Tell us, besides the "hard workin dairy farmer" you never seem to give a shit about standing up for farmers.

Forage, you must be my retired left-limping bureaucrat brother-in-law who resents everything agrarian and loves the old NDippers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...