• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trip to SK

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trip to SK

Hi,
    So not sure if this is the right place or not but anyway, My partner and I are coming to Regina on 22nd May for 2 weeks to hopefully get a feel for life in the praries and just have a look around. Their is a possibility of coming back next spring to stay and work but you never know. I'm a self employed farm contractor here in Scotland and grew up on a small arable farm which I now lease. But due to size its just not that viable. So I'm really just wanting to ask for advice on where to go and what to see. My ideal scenario would be meeting with a farm to chat about how thing work over there, although i completely respect that spring work will be in full swing.
    Thanks for any advice, even just a place to stop eat or a place to stay at etc.
    Thanks Greg

Lots to see in Western Canada if you're looking to relocate. Are you interested in grain or livestock?

Comment

Just bring a certified cheque with you and we can talk....lol...do want a yardsite .... pasture ....farmland?

20 minutes from a large lake.....150 feet deep with 600 miles of shoreline and 3 golf courses...great fishing....good hunting....blah blah blah....

We could use a guy like you in this area.....

If you could spend two weeks on a tractor or sprayer that would be great..lol.
      Last edited by bucket; Apr 16, 2017, 12:41.

Comment

Greg, saskatchewan is big with lots to see. Rent a car, start driving around to different farms and ask questions. Most farmers are hospitable and bed and breakfast places are also a good place to learn about the countryside. Have fun!

Comment

I've only ever been interested in grain farms. Plan is to rent a car and drive around to be honest, just not sure which areas to go to. Never planned a trip before or been abroad for that matter lol.

Comment

The time to find out how you will like the Canadian Prairies is in the winter time. This is one of the most desolate, isolated places in the winter time. Of course that will depend on your interests and other factors but I am just warning you. Many rural communities are just zombie places and that is particularly acute in the winter. SK still has some opportunities where there is cheaper land but the land is cheap for a reason and the zombie communities are there. In AB there is some opportunity in cattle as remote land is cheap. For the rest the land sells for more than it is worth. Cheap for a reason.

Comment

Forgot to mention weather is nasty most of the time, but Scotland probably has a fair bit of that too.

Comment

Where do you live in Scotland and what do you do now?

Comment

You will definitely see different things, depending where you drive. Some areas you will see large fields where farm yards are farther apart than most towns in Scotland. Generally (long term average), driving north and east of Regina, the growing season is cooler and with more rain. Going west, it gets drier into Alberta, where you would see lots of irrigation about 5 hours w of Regina. Cropping choices are much greater in this area that area, because of earlier spring, warmer summer, and irrigation. This is where the sugar beets, potatoes, edible beans, and other specialty crops are grown. Driving east of Regina, to the Red River valley of Manitoba, you would also see much more diversity, because of the warmer growing season and adequate moisture. Lots of corn and soybeans there, similar to areas in the US midwest.

Comment

I live in Fife, where i was brought up. I've always been self employed working between farms at first, then leasing a tractor then bought one with a couple machines. I feel lucky to be honest I've never had to even apply for a job before its all been word of mouth. Winters here really aren't bad hardly any frost and maybe 4 or 5 inches of snow that lasts for about 3 days.
                    What kind of weather can i expect when I'm over?

Comment

That kind of question is impossible to answer. Every year can be different. Expect the possibility of anything except sub zero. Expect wind maybe.

Comment

haha yeah i did think that right enough from what I've heard and read. So do you's still have snow on the ground now?

Comment

Currently 3* and sunny in west central Alberta. Should stay warm enough to brown up before the next dump of white stuff later this week. Yay

Comment

Hello gww123. Nice to see you over here

Many authorities on Saskatchewan here LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              Just bring a certified cheque with you and we can talk....lol...do want a yardsite .... pasture ....farmland?

20 minutes from a large lake.....150 feet deep with 600 miles of shoreline and 3 golf courses...great fishing....good hunting....blah blah blah....

We could use a guy like you in this area.....

If you could spend two weeks on a tractor or sprayer that would be great..lol.
                              Any chance you farm in the Swift Current area?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...