• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

humate humic acid

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tweety View Post
    How about the "companies peddling the stuff" pay for it and do proper trials.

Well bgmb, your original question was if there were proper trials. Seems the answer is no.
    They did hire a guy with a horticulture degree, call him a Dr. and pass him off as an independent researcher. He says to expect big things. Also reports of unicorn piss stimulating the brain of the plant that controls the roots and leaf tissues to grow extra rapidly. Therefore increasing the hormone levels in the plants which in turn improves nutrient uptake and ph is also altered to a ideal level, Unicorn piss being acidic.

Also some coffee shop reports of huge bin busting yields and side by sides verified by yield monitors.

Comment

Wow.... You guys..

Here's the thing, I've posted studies... yet apparently because they are from other countries they somehow don't count.

Good grief.

You know what, if you don't think it'll work, then don't try it.

On the other hand... even Iowa State University is doing trials and research to do with Humic and Fulvic acid.

Oh wait, they're probably not credible either. LOL.

[URL="http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1193&context=extension_ag_ pubs"]http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1193&context=extension_ag_ pubs[/URL]

Comment

How about the University of Nebraska, a study co-authored by USDA Ag Research Service:
        [URL="http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2297&context=usdaarsfacpub "]http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2297&context=usdaarsfacpub[/URL]

Here's a bit of the excerpt:

On-Farm Evaluation of a Humic Product
        in Iowa (US) Maize Production
        Dan C. Olk, Dana L. Dinnes, Chad Callaway, and Mike Raske
        Abstract
        The benefit to corn (
        Zea mays
        L.) production of a humic product derived
        from lignite was evaluated for 3 years under otherwise conventional crop manage-
        ment in Iowa farmers’ fields. A liquid extract, it was applied at a rate of 3.57 L ha
        generally as a foliar spray mixed into routine pesticide applications during early
        stages of crop growth. In each of 3 years, hand-sampled corn plants collected at
        physiological maturity in 30–35 farmers’ fields across Iowa showed a significant
        increase in grain weight with product application in 70–80% of the cases, covering
        a range of soil types and grain yield levels. Mean increases were 630–940 kg ha
        and these were inflated, as expected, compared to a limited number of yield
        increases estimated by mechanical combine, typically 310–630 kg ha
        , or about5% of normal yield levels. Grain weight increases were associated with longer,
        thicker, and heavier cobs and slightly larger stover biomass
        . Plant nutrient
        concentrations were not affected at harvest. In-season measurements in a few
        intensively monitored farmers’ fields associated product application with slightly
        taller plants, increased leaf area, earlier onset of pollination, extended grain filling,
        and delayed senescence, i.e., extended duration of photosynthesis and decayed
        rotting of stems. Limited visual observations indicated great proliferation of
        roots, especially lateral roots.
        Ongoing data assessment will identify any environ-
        mental factors of product efficacy, an issue that to date remains unexplored in the
        humic product literature. Initial studies of alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) found
        biomass increases with product application of 7–29%.
        A newly begun corn trial
        on nitrogen fertilizer response will estimate the amount of N fertilizer input that can
        be replaced by humic product application to save input costs and mitigate environ-
        mental degradation. The humic product increased economic yield in a large
        majority of cases by amounts that were agronomically modest but economically
        significant.

Comment

tweety, I would prefer the unbiased, not paid for opinion. And someone mentioned testimonials--ever see negative testimonials published in print or websites of the companies selling something? I guess some guys might be right, I should try some for myself.

It's surprising how little of a chemical can kill weeds or harm crops, so maybe the fact that large volumes aren't used doesn't mean much. JumpStart supposedly unlocks tied up phosphate. Rhizobium inoculant has a synergistic relationship with the plants it can colonize. Is there any actual microbial activity with ligno humate(?) or is it all just based on chemical reactions. (I suppose everything can be considered a chemical reaction but is there any microbial activity with ligno humate style products?

Just trying to see it from different angles. I'm not saying it works or doesn't but I sure know there are alot of things I don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
            How about the University of Nebraska, a study co-authored by USDA Ag Research Service:
            [URL="http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2297&context=usdaarsfacpub "]http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2297&context=usdaarsfacpub[/URL]

Here's a bit of the excerpt:
            This isn't proper research its better than nothing or company trials but writeup doesnt is pretty fuzzy on details of how the trials were conducted. doesnt even mention anything about untreated check.

was there not a bunch of trials done by a retail in Saskatchewan for these types of products on peas? Is that data available online?

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
              This isn't proper research its better than nothing or company trials but writeup doesnt is pretty fuzzy on details of how the trials were conducted. doesnt even mention anything about untreated check.

was there not a bunch of trials done by a retail in Saskatchewan for these types of products on peas? Is that data available online?

I think you mean The Rack?

Furrow did they do trials with humic?

Retailers will never push or even want to sell a product with low margins and no flashy company and sales reps behind it... not the nature of their business.

They'd much rather sell you Odessey let you knock the cap out of your peas and then sell you 3 passes of fungicide.

Comment

Klause, there isn't any relevant field scale, peer reviewed, multi-site trials for western Canada.

Also, in the corn study, the humate was mixed with pesticides, therefore it can not be determined if the effect was from the humate, or the reduced efficacy or antagonism of the pesticide - which is why bgmb asked for a proper trial.

The other trial was done in a lab, with no yield data. This is important because other yield studies have shown that even though there is an increase in root mass, there was no increase in final yield.

Not saying in any way it doesn't work/help. But just like i can't show there isn't a benefit, you neither can show there is. and that's the problem.
                Last edited by tweety; Apr 14, 2017, 21:58.

Comment

We applied some Humic acid this week. We will update on our blog how it performs for us.

http://jagfarms.blogspot.ca/2017/04/applying-humic-acid-activ-24.html?m=1

Comment

No humic in the Rack pea trials .

Comment

From last fall ..

Comment

What brand of ligno humates?

Comment

South African seaweed fulvic acids?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...