• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it really worth growing wht?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Klaus
    Do you feel like the 12" spacing is at all detrimental to wheat? I was looking at a drill that I liked earlier this year but passed because it was a 12" spacing. I thought it was fine for canola but not so good for Wheat. But seeing your crop is giving me second thoughts.

Comment

Good job Klause

Hey Mallee the CAD just took a nosedive; farmgate wheat prices turning up here the last day or two
      Basis still poor tho

Bad time for the AUD to appreciate. Up over 4% vs CAD since Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamp View Post
        Klaus
        Do you feel like the 12" spacing is at all detrimental to wheat? I was looking at a drill that I liked earlier this year but passed because it was a 12" spacing. I thought it was fine for canola but not so good for Wheat. But seeing your crop is giving me second thoughts.
        I think 12" shank spacing is perfectly fine... but 3/4" knives aren't meant for cereals IMHO That's why we use a good old fashioned 6" sweep, backswept fert knife and a 6" spreader... You can notice the "width" of the head-row... it's not one line, but rather a "bunch" of heads.

Seems to be the key in peas also, allowing more pods/plant. This year we skipped every 4th or 5th row (plugged them in the manifold) on 1 field in peas to see what would happen, the rows facing the "skip" had 3 to 5 more pods, which made up for the "lost" plants.... I think you could even go wider if you wanted to in pulses.
        Last edited by Klause; Mar 2, 2017, 14:08.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          Western Canada is a vast area. Various soils and weather, everyone has their own recipe for what works in their area.

It would be nice to hear a response to the thread question from our organic AVers. Does wheat pay for them?

(no sarcasm allowed hobby)
          I don't honestly know, I have not grown wheat for at least a decade.
          I don't even know about the price of organic wheat.
          I am a bad wheat farmer. About 25 years ago I had wheat in rotation but it was frustrating making a budget on borrowed money with CWB initial prices and future estimates. The whole marketing/elevator agent /coffee visual grading/bullshit poker game with grade and dockage was always weird to me.
          I was realizing better margins with oats and canola. One time at coffee the regular farmers asked me what I planted and I answered canola and oats. The response was "no wheat? You have to grow wheat!" Right about then I stopped frequenting the coffee shop and relied more on independent thinking.
          I made this far, so I am satisfied.
          Last edited by hobbyfrmr; Mar 2, 2017, 14:49.

Comment

Best N management is some in the seed row some side banded, and then additional floating before elongation uan is the best

Comment

I feel inferior when I see the n some of you guys apply. 70 - 80 lbs is a big rate here. 20 - 25 lbs p and 10 - 12 lbs s. Out of my ghetto lots of 90 - 100 rates though. Some land responds but some doesn't as well. My om is 5 - 7% so it may help. I worry though about mining the soil if I don't match removal somewhat.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...