• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's The Optimism Out There??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's The Optimism Out There??

15 days and counting is how long most have been at a stand still. There were two delays of one wk each previous to this. Personally it's starting to get to me. Everyday I hope this will be the day to fire up, but never seems to materialize. There are way more problems in the world, but this is our livelihood. This is all we know and think about. I'm trying to keep my chin up, but each passing day becomes more difficult. We we fortunate not to get the last system Alberta got so maybe that's the break we were looking for. For all AVers from Alberta, best of luck to you guys, here's hoping we can all get together for a party after this is all over, can't forget Manitoba guys also.

I'm optimistic I will be combining in the spring and that my combine will be a pull type.

Comment

If i cant take it this fall, i would rather harvest with my Zippo in spring.
      We will see what afsc tells us on Nov 15. 90% sure ill have some out.
      I try to focus on my positives. My higher margin crops are off.
      We will see what bank has to say.

Comment

Life is good, and will end when I buy the farm!

Comment

Bigger is definitely not always better guys, anyone with the right size farm are probably done and sitting back and unfortunately "enjoying" (sarcasm) the frustration of not being able to do any fall work that they would have preferred to do.

My feeling is 1800-3000 acres are done or have such a small amount left that it doesn't really hurt their farm substantially.

I know I would not want to be the ones with close to or over 50% of their seeded acres left. If this has to be combined in spring and spring weather doesn't co-operate, next year is more risky than ever.

Why some just want to keep farming more and more, and borrow more and more (this is my assumption), I have no idea.
          Last edited by Richard5; Oct 17, 2016, 11:34.

Comment

Really. Wtf.

We farm 2600 acres with a class 7 and a class 6 combine.... we're 70% done. Guys with 12,000 acres are 70% done. Guys with 460 acres are 70% done.

Pretty much 0 are wrapped up here.

Sounds like your jealous of your bigger neighbours... don't know if you meant to come across like that but that's what it sounds like.

When youve had rain every weekend since August. When peas had to come off at 18% and lentils at 17% and every bushel of grain you have has to be dried... you wanna tell us how farm size has anything to do with how far along you are????

As far as optimism. Not much on this farm right now. More depression than optimism.

Took my wifey to Saskatoon for the weekend... was nice to get away from the farm for a few days.

Sometimes wonder why we go thru all this risk... work the hours we work... and end up at the mercy of the weather the banker and the markets.

Comment

It's amazing how these weather systems materialize out of nothing. I don't know about the rest of you but it has been a long hard grind for us since the first week in August. That's been 2 1/2 months. If machinery was built to stay in the field, it would be nice. We have one jewel, but the rest suck. Puny chains, poorly designed shoes, no reverse augers, in this day and age! Might be ok in a small crop but not a crop that took 140 days to fall over. There's my two bits.

Comment

Been done combining since just before weather went really bad.
                Very concerned in our area for neighbors and friends to finish harvest.
                But that's one problem to get over the hurdle on. What about seeding? The soil is completely saturated and every drop of precipitation is just adding onto the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                  Really. Wtf.

We farm 2600 acres with a class 7 and a class 6 combine.... we're 70% done. Guys with 12,000 acres are 70% done. Guys with 460 acres are 70% done.

Pretty much 0 are wrapped up here.

Sounds like your jealous of your bigger neighbours... don't know if you meant to come across like that but that's what it sounds like.

When youve had rain every weekend since August. When peas had to come off at 18% and lentils at 17% and every bushel of grain you have has to be dried... you wanna tell us how farm size has anything to do with how far along you are????

As far as optimism. Not much on this farm right now. More depression than optimism.

Took my wifey to Saskatoon for the weekend... was nice to get away from the farm for a few days.

Sometimes wonder why we go thru all this risk... work the hours we work... and end up at the mercy of the weather the banker and the markets.
                  That's not what I meant Klaus. Our farm is 6200 acres and we did get finished. Most of my neighbors of various sizes are basically finished or are done. We didn't seed pulses this year which would have helped. Klause you talk about doing so much so far away from home (when looking on a map of the towns you mention). That probably why it was tougher for you to finish this year. Its probably just your way to find a way to give your farm opportunities and this year it hasn't worked out.

Then when I ready your complete post I don't know why its any different that what I just said.

Comment

People snowplowing driveways and yards here, keeping busy checking mousetraps.

Comment

What combines do you run sumdumguy? Which one is the jewel?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard5 View Post
                        Bigger is definitely not always better guys, anyone with the right size farm are probably done and sitting back and unfortunately "enjoying" (sarcasm) the frustration of not being able to do any fall work that they would have preferred to do.

My feeling is 1800-3000 acres are done or have such a small amount left that it doesn't really hurt their farm substantially.

I know I would not want to be the ones with close to or over 50% of their seeded acres left. If this has to be combined in spring and spring weather doesn't co-operate, next year is more risky than ever.

Why some just want to keep farming more and more, and borrow more and more (this is my assumption), I have no idea.
                        just be thankful you got some weather and not 40" rain like here ! we run 2 class 8's on 3200 ac . no one is done here , 75% of our acres look like this . Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	765164

Comment

Now that bto is off here, I think we all stay fairly respectful. (Even when I tell chuck or grass their full of shit)
                          Skin a little thin for everyone right now.
                          Like I said before, let a farmer talk for less than a minute and you can figure out his term debt levels.
                          The ones with none are often quick to make assumptions.

As far as common denominators as to who is done or not here, there doesn't seem to be any.

Comment

All situations are out there, local huge operation, 18000 acres is done, in shitty weather like the rest of us.
                            Nearly 100% of farms have dried or still have lots to dry. Heavy localized T storms hit you and you have a mess, luck of the draw no reason/explanation. The EVIL stuck weather that dumps feet not inches several times this year, in places. None of this shit is NORMAL. Is it GOOD anywhere? Must be a shorter list than the WET/MUD? Yes, 2017 is already looking doubtful....

Comment

Spring 2017....here it can go from adequate and surplus moisute to too dry pretty ****ing quick. 30+º's with a howling ****ing wind and humidity lower than a snakes belly in a rut......things dry pretty fast, especially the lighter land.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...