• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heating canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who knows, I'll try to get more info. everyone loves to poke the BTO so stories get exaggerated but also the BTO doesn't advertise their screw ups...but then again who does!

Comment

You sure that wasn't ADM Watson last year?

Comment

Im sure it had aeration and temp cables not much good if you dont use em.

Comment

I will say this. I remember as a kid helping my uncles build 10k+ bins with no air. Hell we hadnt heard of it.

Comment

Believe it or not , a guy we know welll has 20,000 bushels of Canola that tested 15-17 with lots of green pods, half in aeration. Unbelieveable, you say, yep, but true. I am sure elevators would be scared to take any of it. Even in aeration it is probably dicey at best. Would you wait for freeze dry if its that wet?

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
              Believe it or not , a guy we know welll has 20,000 bushels of Canola that tested 15-17 with lots of green pods, half in aeration. Unbelieveable, you say, yep, but true. I am sure elevators would be scared to take any of it. Even in aeration it is probably dicey at best. Would you wait for freeze dry if its that wet?
              12 is dicey 15 guaranteed disaster on air and not on aeration lunacy.
              Last edited by biglentil; Oct 16, 2016, 11:24.

Comment

"Freeze dry" with canola that damp and canola's high static pressure could you push enough cold air through and if you could would you have a frozen block of canola you couldn't get out of tbe bin?

It's all going to take intense monitoring.

Any recent drying of crop in the field lately will be lost today...guys can't get a break.

Comment

sumdumguy, I hope he has a stirring system in those bins cause aeration won't work alone.

Comment

At the higher moisture levels you can set a timer according to this chart. When time is expired it will be warm.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Moisture Temp Canola chart.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	765157

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                      You sure that wasn't ADM Watson last year?
                      Heard that was like 150, 000 Bu, neighbor hauled a bunch of that and bagged it to trickle to Milligan.

Another could not get wet bin emptied fast enough and THAT heated stuck to the walls. Lots was bagged at 10-12% around here weeks ago.
                      Last edited by fjlip; Oct 16, 2016, 15:19.

Comment

common sense ain't so common any more . But desperate acts in forced situations are . The whole going big thing is about to kick more than a few in the pants.

Comment

The only person that really gives a shit is the guy with skin in the game the rest just want their paycheck. If the owner is off vacationing or living 100 miles off farm problems arise. Hired guys won't be like "hey rain stopped time to open the lids and flip the fans back on" Sunday at 430pm like im about to go do.
                          Last edited by biglentil; Oct 16, 2016, 16:40.

Comment

Exactly biglentil, that is just but one little example of the many little things "hired people" won't do and never will do cause no skin in the game , not their problem - they may still get a paycheck regardless.
                            That little example is exactly why some big farms will fail and others will do well.
                            One earth , Pikes scam and others are good examples . Those little things add up to disastrous results that take those top down , not bottom up run big farms down quickly. All the tech , all the paid agronomics in the world fails in those situations.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                              At the higher moisture levels you can set a timer according to this chart. When time is expired it will be warm.
                              [ATTACH]753[/ATTACH]
                              That chart may be accurate at lower moisture, but I can attest that at higher moisture, it will start heating long before the chart says. Finished up last year somewhere above 16, guessing 18. at well below zero ambient. Didn't want to mix that with better stuff in aeration bins and risk it all, so I just moved it constantly. Could only get a few days at a time in one place.

Once I had some space I spread it a foot thick or less in multiple bin bottoms and regularly shovelled it around. In the middle of winter, and it still wouldn't stay cold. Eventually freed up some aeration space and aved all but a small amount that my hired help neglected to stir while I was away.

Comment

AF5 I hope the chart doesn't mislead anyone. This is the maximum days before clumping. It could be less.
                                Also once canola starts heating it goes critical. Just moving it doesn't seem to stop it. Into a fan bin or a drier then.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...