• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heating canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heating canola

Anyone having trouble with their straight cut canola? I heard from one neighbor that he lost most of a huge 34,000 bushel bin to heating. No aeration.

....think about it! Straight cut grain in a 34000 bu bin without aeration=recipe for disaster! At what temperature did the grain go into the bin? I don't think straight cut grain is always completely "cured".....heat and moisture migration!!!!! Yikes.

I realize its seldom a "complete" loss but that will still be quite the hair cut on the value of that grain.

Oh well, thats **** all in a "big operation"!
    Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 16, 2016, 06:14.

Comment

Storing canola like that would sure keep me awake at night...

Comment

Why would any one put 34000 bus of Canola in a bin with no aeration. Even if it was harvested at 6 that is a recipe for disaster. This is coming from a long time grower. Also in that strait cut shit their is still odd green seed its not all perfect.

I will have to watch all our Canola this year a lot because harvesting wet and then drying down you either move right away or watch. Wont have lots that we keep till july out of this crop. Other wise it will be a bin or two thats pooched.

Comment

Unbelievable that someone would build a 34000bu bin w/o air and temp cables let alone fill it with straight cut canola ????
          This was self inflicted

Comment

That was gaureteed to heat regardless with out air .
            I guess some people can just throw away $350,000 .

Comment

SF3, when drying super wet canola do you run through dryer twice? I think that helps with storage problems. A lot of work though.

Comment

Curious why people keep mentioning drying really tough canola twice? We have dried canola testing 20 with no issues thru the drier once. We watched not using extremely high heat but it takes a while. Is there something I am missing or should be aware of?

Comment

I think that moderate/low temps are the key to single pass drying of super wet canola. It's slow but means only one trip through.
                  The thinking is that high moisture canola is easier to cook. Damaged seed is prone to heating.

Comment

We try to dry canola at a lower temp than cereals with our stationary heated air system which turns into a long process and canola stuck on bin walls but better than alternative.

I've heard of several farmers sending canola through a continuous dryer twice once it gets over 16%.
                    I assume they can't slow the feed down enough because it would seem to be a waste of time to send it through twice?
                    (Although I don't have a continuous unit so could be wrong.)

Comment

I have a Gsi batch type, its tough to get more than 4 points in one pass. The canola againt the plenum gets super dry and the outside of the dryer is still pretty tough. You dont want to get the grain temp too high. The old circulating batch types worked really good for keeping the canola from getting too hot.

Comment

There must be a mistake in this story somewhere, perhaps the bin was 3400 bus. I could see a bin that size not having air, or cables,,,,but a 34,000 bin without air or cables sounds illogical to me. Even more so if they were a BTO.

Comment

Sounds made up. Lol

Comment

The whole thing sounds like a tall tale. 34,000 bushel bin wth not aeration or Moisture/temp cables? Unlikely. Im thinking the bin supply companies could be sued for selling such a thing knowing that any grain stored in that volume is at risk for heating.

Another great detail on these types of stories that have never confirmed is when the canola heats so much it pops the bin bolts and damages the sheets of the bin.
                            I have never confirmed the rumour but talk around here was a neighbor lost $100,000 worth of canola due to heating. Then I heard it was a million dollars worth if canola. Anyway, I doubt it happened at all, they are buying land and machinery and doing just fine.

Comment

I think it was a bin at a grain terminal..... there, how's that for adding speculation to the rumor? LOL.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...